The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Yes, it's only to make it easier to find them in the dialog. Once the list reaches 20 plus it starts to get a bit messy and I've been clicking the wrong one a few times. In this list I think I deleted one then created deskCarcase which went high in the list away from the other desk groups.

Also, I wonder if it might be easier to read if left justified instead of centred? [EDIT] Sorry should have reduced this jpg before uploading.post-400-1229797385_thumb.jpg

BTW Paintshop Pro X has a nasty glitch with Vista when saving, if you've highlighted a file in the file list, eg, accidentally or a similar name to re-edit, then you cannot override that name no matter what you type in as the file name and PSP wants to save with that name then says it already exists! Even clicking in open space won't clear it. I just found if I exit the folder and go back in then it clears the name focus. Nuisance. PS has its own custom save dialog.

Maybe that 'make decal from selected surface' feature should deselect the surface after, maybe select the decal. Once created I naturally added a texture but couldn't see it. Clicked again to make sure I'd selected the decal; added the texture - then later found the wall surface had the decal texture too. First time I've used it so I don't know if anyone else found this.

Maybe that 'make decal from selected surface' feature should deselect the surface after, maybe select the decal. Once created I naturally added a texture but couldn't see it. Clicked again to make sure I'd selected the decal; added the texture - then later found the wall surface had the decal texture too. First time I've used it so I don't know if anyone else found this.

Hm, yes that sounds reasonable. Please report that.

Trying out the new smarter string searching (so useful!), and other stuff, some thoughts:

* As we were warned, it can be slow. I assume it's got to build lists or tables or whatever-the-hell structure it does to manage all of this. First wondering is of course how much optimization can be had. But aside from that, I'm noticing that the delay always occurs each time you start a whole new search (that is, the type box has vanished, and now must return), but it doesn't have the delay if the type box stays up between searches. So my guess is that it destroys the list each time the box goes away. How about instead if it kept the list active until the dialog itself is closed? At least that way the user only has to wait once per opening of the dialog, and not every time they want to look at a different object.

* Since this functionality is so useful, is it possible to be added to the Add Model dialog and the Media Browser as well? It would benefit both greatly, the only (minor) concern being the performance as addressed above.

* Different topic but I meant to mention (in fact I may have already but I'm not sure) -- it seems that each time you view a model in the viewer (use AI to really see the effect), it possibly reloads the model. There is a second or more delay on each click of an entity, even if previously viewed. Is this maybe the result of some really aggressive memory cleanup, and could maybe be done on dialog close as well, instead of on viewing a different object?

* Is a sizebar between the list and model viewers possible (for resizing of the viewport)? Not essential, but if easy enough it might be desirable.

* As we were warned, it can be slow. I assume it's got to build lists or tables or whatever-the-hell structure it does to manage all of this. First wondering is of course how much optimization can be had. But aside from that, I'm noticing that the delay always occurs each time you start a whole new search (that is, the type box has vanished, and now must return), but it doesn't have the delay if the type box stays up between searches. So my guess is that it destroys the list each time the box goes away. How about instead if it kept the list active until the dialog itself is closed? At least that way the user only has to wait once per opening of the dialog, and not every time they want to look at a different object.

There is no list beign destroyed during dialog display, it's just un-optimised string searching what we experience. I can think of implementing my own search function based on maps or hash tables, but this would lead a bit far. I'd only go down that road if it's really a nuisance.

* Since this functionality is so useful, is it possible to be added to the Add Model dialog and the Media Browser as well? It would benefit both greatly, the only (minor) concern being the performance as addressed above.

Yes, this is rather easily possible.

* Different topic but I meant to mention (in fact I may have already but I'm not sure) -- it seems that each time you view a model in the viewer (use AI to really see the effect), it possibly reloads the model. There is a second or more delay on each click of an entity, even if previously viewed. Is this maybe the result of some really aggressive memory cleanup, and could maybe be done on dialog close as well, instead of on viewing a different object?

Yes, each model is freed after it has been viewed. Destruction of the loaded models after dialog shutdown is possible.

* Is a sizebar between the list and model viewers possible (for resizing of the viewport)? Not essential, but if easy enough it might be desirable.

Not an half-an-hour-fix, but it's possible in principle. The resize events need to be caught and the viewport needs to be adjusted.

• 2 weeks later...
@OrbWeaver: somebody on the public forums asked for a .deb package. Do you have time to assemble this for the most recent DarkRadiant 0.9.9 versions?

Yes, I will try to do this at the weekend.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up an APT repository on the DarkRadiant SourceForge site, so that Linux users could get automatic updates?

Cool, thanks. :)

I did my best to update the automake files, but I couldn't actually test it for myself so far. And I think the Conversation Editor lacks its automake file completely (but it can be copied from the other plugins).

I wonder if it would be possible to set up an APT repository on the DarkRadiant SourceForge site, so that Linux users could get automatic updates?

How is this done? Is this just an .xml file on the website or is this a .php application?

I did my best to update the automake files, but I couldn't actually test it for myself so far. And I think the Conversation Editor lacks its automake file completely (but it can be copied from the other plugins).

No problem, I haven't built DR in a while so I'm sure there will be Linux build issues that require fixing.

How is this done? Is this just an .xml file on the website or is this a .php application?

It's just a standardised directory layout with some metadata files generated with dpkg tools. Provided our webspace is large enough this should be pretty easy to set up, and has the advantage that we can make packages for different Ubuntu/Debian versions without having to mangle the name in some way. I'll have a look at creating a repository when I make the DEB.

Sounds good. We have plenty of webspace, if I recall correctly. The only thing we're not allowed to host is release binaries (like .exe installers or such), but I guess repositories are fine.

Here are the terms of "Acceptable Use":

Project web services:

* Project web services may only be used for housing content directly related to the project (personal home pages and other non-project materials are not permitted).

* Project web services may be used to provide project-related information, documentation and development information.

* You may host a small demonstration site for your software, provided it is not resource-intensive, does not violate our Terms of Use agreement, and does not require outbound connectivity. Users should not be permitted to modify data in your demo site. You may use your project web space for software testing, so long as the testing is performed only by a small group of people (this is not an appropriate place to host a production test involving large groups).

* Your project web site must display the SourceForge.net logo, as described below.

* You may not use your project web site to provide a service to the general community (such as a playable game, or forum unrelated to your software development effort).

* You may not use your project web site to generate revenue, display advertisements or information about non-Open Source products, or to solicit donations except via the SourceForge.net Donation System.

* File releases may not be made available via your project web space (unless you have received permission in writing from SourceForge.net staff). File releases should be made available using the File Release System.

I'll do a quick google search about package repositories on sourceforge. Can we fall back to using Ubuntu's .deb storage?

Can we fall back to using Ubuntu's .deb storage?

Not sure what you mean -- are you referring to the Ubuntu Universe, or is there some other place you can set up a third party repository? The Ubuntu Universe would require a decidedly non-trivial process to get into: the package and project have to meet certain review requirements, be signed off by two Ubuntu developers and have a dedicated Maintainer amongst other things.

Not sure what you mean -- are you referring to the Ubuntu Universe, or is there some other place you can set up a third party repository? The Ubuntu Universe would require a decidedly non-trivial process to get into: the package and project have to meet certain review requirements, be signed off by two Ubuntu developers and have a dedicated Maintainer amongst other things.

Yes, I was referring to the "Universe". But you already answered my question, sounds like this is too much of a hassle.

I guess we need to resort on sourceforge's file release storage then.

Yes, I was referring to the "Universe". But you already answered my question, sounds like this is too much of a hassle.

Yes, even if we overcame those requirements, the major problem is that Ubuntu packages do not have feature releases within a single distribution (AFAIK, maybe there can be exceptions), which means that users could only upgrade to a new major version when the upgraded their Ubuntu release.

I guess we need to resort on sourceforge's file release storage then.

Alternatively, maybe we can get some free hosting somewhere else. I have a feeling my ISP may offer some free webspace, I will look into whether this would be enough.

Alternatively, maybe we can get some free hosting somewhere else. I have a feeling my ISP may offer some free webspace, I will look into whether this would be enough.

Bloodgate has enough space and traffic, and greebo already got an FTP account there. So where is the problem? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, I'm fine with anything, just tell me what I have to upload and which folder structure the APT repository needs. :)

Actually, I don't know.

This looks like a comprehensive review:

http://nerdica.com/?p=43

Hadn't time enough to read it fully, but I can take care of that tomorrow and setup the nec. directories and files on my server :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Actually, I don't know.

I think he meant me. ;)

When I have created the DEB I plan to set up a local APT repository with reprepro and test it on my own machine, before sending it to you or Greebo to install on the server.

I think he meant me. ;)

When I have created the DEB I plan to set up a local APT repository with reprepro and test it on my own machine, before sending it to you or Greebo to install on the server.

Ah ok. For now, I followed the tutorial above and created a repository including the configs and a small file to regenerate it. The repo is located here:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages/

You can enter it into your apt like so:

Open up a root shell (or use a nomal shell and do "sudo su") then enter:

For Ubuntu/Kubuntu 7.10:

echo "deb [url="http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages"]http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages[/url] gutsy main" >>/etc/apt/sources.list

For Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.04:

echo "deb [url="http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages"]http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages[/url] hardy main" >>/etc/apt/sources.list

For Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.10:

echo "deb [url="http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages"]http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/packages[/url] intrepid main" >>/etc/apt/sources.list

(Basically, append the right line on the file /etc/apt/sources.lst).

then run:

apt-get update
apt-get install darkradiant

If you want to update the repo, do:

* sync the remote directory to a local copy (using any FTP client you want)

* put a new DEB file under packages/pool/main/, then run:

./regen_repo.sh

Then reupload the changed/new files with FTP to bloodgate.com.

Or just send me the link to the DEB and I will do it.

Edit: Updated post with working instructions.

Ah, it seems you're ahead of me. I have created a local repository with reprepro and it works, as does your remote repository (I have both 0.9.7 and 0.9.9 available and can switch between them in Synaptic).

I was wondering what the best solution for pushing out new versions was, but it seems like you already have a script which solves that problem. I will try uploading the 0.9.9 deb and using your script to update the repository.