The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Wikipedia links to DR but I wonder if the link text could be enlarged a little to mention some of the features to draw more attention to it.

http://en.wikipedia....ant#DarkRadiant

It's Wikipedia, there's nothing stopping you from editing the entry. The worst that happens is a wiki mod removes it.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

OrbWeaver, it seems the trunk is not compiling in Ubuntu 10.10? http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2406

Could you handle that one? Also, don't know about this, but if it's just about renaming the README file, I can do that: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2407

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We still have time till 1.5.0 will be released, but I'd like to ask about the status of your recent work, OrbWeaver? After TDM 1.03 will have been done, I'd like to see DR 1.5.0 being pushed out of the door, it's been quite a while since the last public release.

Is there anything heavily work in progress in the trunk or can we release any time we like?

Ok, cool.

On a different matter: I noticed that the CamWnd is now using the (useful!) render mode buttons, but the button row style is not really matching the rest of the Window's toolitems:

camwnd.PNG

I suspect this is because these are RadioButtons instead of an actual toolbar? Is is possible to refactor that to derive from GtkToolbar instead?

Ah yes, that makes sense. I just checked and there is indeed a Gtk::RadioToolButton, so hopefully it will be possible to use this instead. I don't get that GUI style with 1.4 though, is this something you configured yourself or does it depend on the Windows theme?

I was going to have a go at building on Windows myself actually, but converting the projects to the latest Visual Studio Express failed with some "missing configuration" error.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I just checked and there is indeed a Gtk::RadioToolButton, so hopefully it will be possible to use this instead. I don't get that GUI style with 1.4 though, is this something you configured yourself or does it depend on the Windows theme?

I'm on Win7 here, and this is how it looks when DarkRadiant is using the wimp engine. I suppose the controls are rendered like the "native" Windows ones when using wimp.

I was going to have a go at building on Windows myself actually, but converting the projects to the latest Visual Studio Express failed with some "missing configuration" error.

You mean VC++ 2010 Express? I've never tried to load the projects in there (am using VC++ 2008 for years now), but I was meaning to have a go at migrating the VC++ projects to the next version sometime anyway. I can do that earlier, if you want me to.

It was 2010 I believe, but don't worry there's no urgency. It was just a test to see how easy/difficult it would be to build in Windows (given that I am using Windows for a lot of mod testing anyway).

It was rather strange though that at one point it suggested there was some "trial period" which was going to run out. I thought the Express edition was designed to be free, unless Microsoft are so self-centered that they think people are going to pay for the privilege of writing software on Windows. Perhaps the trial period relates just to some advanced feature not the entire application.

I haven't seen those buttons myself yet, but it looks like we've lost a decent chunk of cam window real estate. Could they be on the side or top toolbars instead? Failing that, shrunk significantly? For something I don't personally think I'll need or use, I hate to lose several square inches of rendering space.

Awww yeah, I've been wishing for some quick toggles for a while now :) would you be interested in some nicer icons?

I'm also more than happy for them to be on the main toolbar, specially in the embedded layout where you'll only really have a single cam. Maybe even combining them into a single button context menu?

Meh, I thought somebody would complain about the loss of space :laugh: There's no reason why the toolbar couldn't be toggleable though (I don't think we have a View -> Toolbars menu like some apps, but the toggle could go in preferences). They will also shrink when they are using the correct toolbar style as Greebo suggested.

I'd rather not stick more things on the main toolbar though, it is already rather full and having a single bucket with loads of unrelated options makes for poor usability.

@Serpentine: If you are able to make nicer icons, feel free. Those ones are just quick'n'dirty attempts I knocked up in Inkscape.

I haven't seen those buttons myself yet, but it looks like we've lost a decent chunk of cam window real estate. Could they be on the side or top toolbars instead? Failing that, shrunk significantly? For something I don't personally think I'll need or use, I hate to lose several square inches of rendering space.

Seconded, I don't want to loose that much space just for 3 buttons (and I have a large monitor :)

Edit #2: The reason is that lately monitors have gone from 4:3 to 16:10 (and sadly, nowadays to 16:9), meaning you gain a bit on the side, but lose a lot on the height. Every extra toolbar hurts :)

Edit #1: Here is a screnshot of DR, you can see I have a lot of wasted space already. Some applications have detachable toolbars that can be re-ordered. If that is not possible, I think adding "spacers" would make the three buttons distinct enough.

post-144-129113489317_thumb.jpg

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'm on Win7 here, and this is how it looks when DarkRadiant is using the wimp engine. I suppose the controls are rendered like the "native" Windows ones when using wimp.

You mean VC++ 2010 Express? I've never tried to load the projects in there (am using VC++ 2008 for years now), but I was meaning to have a go at migrating the VC++ projects to the next version sometime anyway. I can do that earlier, if you want me to.

Visual Studio 2010 is a huge upgrade over 2008 in GUI functionality. I was using it during the beta, it was really nice.

Visual Studio 2010 is a huge upgrade over 2008 in GUI functionality. I was using it during the beta, it was really nice.

Yup, I know, I've been using it at work from day 1. :) In my day job I am doing quite a bit of C# and SharePoint development and VS 2010 has really improved a lot of things for SharePoint developers. I was merely referring to the C++ part of VS 2010, which didn't appear to offer too many Great Advancements, just a bit of C++0x support here and there, that's why I didn't immediately jump onto the 2010 train with DarkRadiant.

Yup, I know, I've been using it at work from day 1. :) In my day job I am doing quite a bit of C# and SharePoint development and VS 2010 has really improved a lot of things for SharePoint developers. I was merely referring to the C++ part of VS 2010, which didn't appear to offer too many Great Advancements, just a bit of C++0x support here and there, that's why I didn't immediately jump onto the 2010 train with DarkRadiant.

Ah, I see. I just noticed that there's not going to be a 64bit environment for VS2010. Seems weird, especially since all new processors are 64bit these days.

Ah, I see. I just noticed that there's not going to be a 64bit environment for VS2010. Seems weird, especially since all new processors are 64bit these days.

I seem to recall that was what is was complaining about when I tried to convert the projects. Surely they are not expecting new applications to compile in 32-bit mode? Or is the intention that everything is now 64-bit so there is no specific 64-bit option?

The x64 compiler is not implicitly installed alongside VC++ 2010 Express. From technet:

64-bit tools are not available on Visual C++ Express by default. To enable 64-bit tools on Visual C++ Express, install the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) in addition to Visual C++ Express. Otherwise, an error occurs when you attempt to configure a project to target a 64-bit platform using Visual C++ Express.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9yb4317s.aspx

I've always been using the Pro/Premium versions (I get them for free as my company is paying a MSDN subscription for me), so I never ran into that problem myself. It seems though that the express versions can be pushed to compile for x64 targets as well.

The x64 compiler is not implicitly installed alongside VC++ 2010 Express. From technet:

http://msdn.microsof...y/9yb4317s.aspx

I've always been using the Pro/Premium versions (I get them for free as my company is paying a MSDN subscription for me), so I never ran into that problem myself. It seems though that the express versions can be pushed to compile for x64 targets as well.

Yeah same here, I stopped bothering with the Express editions for that limitation alone, also I never got it to work with the workaround. I just use the Ultimate version or whatever it was, no issues as it comes with the x64 compiler built in.

I briefly looked into getting DR to compile in VS 2010 and it seems there are a few points which need to be checked:

- The static boost libraries need to be compiled (done already)

- There is an actual compilation error in TraversableNodeSet.cpp, where the OutputIterator class needs an assignment operator. This seems to be due to a STL algorithm tweak in VC++ 2010, which assumes that the iterators passed to std::set_difference are copy-constructible via the assignnment operator=(). I fixed that in my local copy already.

- There is a linker error in CamWnd.cpp, due to the call to rendermode changed signal - this is strange, but I guess it can be fixed as well. Commenting out that line fixes the problem. Maybe this coincides with the last point.

- There is a crash at startup which I haven't investigated yet. It could be due to the gtkmm libraries which I built from source in VC++ 2008. It's possible that I have to recompile them for VC++ 2010, that's still left to check.

Overall it shouldn't take too long to get it ready for VC++ 2010, but I'm still a bit unsure if we should cross the point of no return. Also, I'm a bit cautious as we've changed a lot of fundamental things in the next release (like GTK+ to gtkmm, boost updates, etc.) that it almost justifies a DR 2.0.0 version bump.

It's certainly odd that the libsigc++ stuff would be causing crashes, since this is also used by Gtkmm itself. Perhaps there is an extra linker flag or something that is needed when you use it in application code.

I'm not sure bumping the version to 2.0 is really appropriate based just on code architecture changes (even if they are significant); really there should be some major new user-visible feature for this to make sense IMO.

Ok, we're set. I took the opportunity to reorganise a lot of the build scripts and solutions, as a result both VC++ 2008 and VC++ 2010 are supported now. I'll whip up a pre-release test package for the Editor's Guild and let people give some feedback about this build.

Ok, we're set. I took the opportunity to reorganise a lot of the build scripts and solutions, as a result both VC++ 2008 and VC++ 2010 are supported now. I'll whip up a pre-release test package for the Editor's Guild and let people give some feedback about this build.

Awesome I'll give the VS2010 project a try tonight!