The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

• 3 weeks later...

What defines the organization in the Add Property selector? Is it possible for the same spawnarg to be under more than one folder? So _color under Basic but also under Light. I'd like to a see a new folder for AI: skin, def_head, def_vocal_set. Be nice to streamline this somehow as creating an AI should almost always include also selecting those three as they help define the AI.

There are selectors with previews for all three but you still have to add it each time to the AI and I tend to be typing it a lot rather than search a long list. Quickest way maybe is add shortcuts to the RMB menu in Entity Inspector for the most common spawnargs:

Add Property

Add skin

Add head

Add voice

Add _color

etc.

Be nice actually if that could be customisable by the user. I think I'd add things like Add set _light_radius on flame etc which are in use more and more and a pain to remember.

A more general way of handling that might be to allow the entity defs to suggest properties that the user might want to add; these could be added with a placeholder value (e.g. "-") or a dialog could appear to suggest them.

E.g.

entity someAI {
   "editor_suggestSpawnarg" "def_head"
}

In my head I envisioned something like a customisable "Entity Settings Panel", a separate tab in the Entity Inspector. E.g. when an AI is selected, the most commonly used properties are available in there, like Fidcal suggested: "Choose Head", "Choose Vocal Set". The actual elements in that panel would be populated by modules/plugins - e.g. the dm.editing module could populate a few of them, similar to the OrthoContextMenu or the Menubar which can be tweaked by modules.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, I'll take a look perhaps tomorrow.

Orbweaver, have you gotten around to this? Because for my Ubuntu 10.04 (the current stable) there is still no upgrade.

@greebo: NHAT 3 has a func_pendulum, which is invisible in the editor. The reason is that it has "editor_mins" "?" and "editor_maxs" "?" set. If I change this to "-4 -4 -4" and "4 4 4" a small box appears. Without that, the entity is simply invisible in the editor.

Is this a problem in the original def files, or a problem with DR 1.4.x?

Edit: I tried it, if you have:

"editor_mins" "?"
"editor_maxs" "?"

and create a brush and make it a func_pendulum, you get the brush. If you just create one, you get nothing (almost impossible to work with in DR as it is invisible).

If you have:

"editor_mins" "-4 -4 -4"
"editor_maxs" "4 4 4"

and create a brush and make it a func_pendulum, you get the brush plus a small dashed box inside it. If you just create one, you get just the box.

So the second case is a lot better, and I am gonna fix our def files. Edit: Done.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I've been redoing the doom3 material highlighting and such that I stole off DR. The one incredibly annoying thing about it, is that you cant use multiline look-aheads for selection logic, which is a tad annoying and means I cant easily divine some material names.

Perhaps DR could do with some parts of the language def? Would it be useful to have other language defs for fx/soundshaders etc?

Edit : Finished defining a lot of edge cases, tho GTKSourceView is really, really horrible and makes life different for simple and elegant regex :( Will convert it to work correctly with the default themes tomoz.

@greebo : would it be possible to get an option in the preferences as to which theme file to use for source views? (didn't check source, but didn't see any defaults in xml)

Gloriously, horribly colour-schemed example follows :)

gtkhighlights.png

@greebo : would it be possible to get an option in the preferences as to which theme file to use for source views? (didn't check source, but didn't see any defaults in xml)

Something like that would be possible, yes. But it needs a bit of work, as the SourceView class is in gtkutil and it is not a module, so I'd need to think about where to put the preference initialisation. Perhaps the MainFrame module, not sure yet.

Orbweaver, have you gotten around to this? Because for my Ubuntu 10.04 (the current stable) there is still no upgrade.

I successfully built and uploaded for the latest maverick release, but there was a problem trying to build for the previous release (some link or include error), which is why there isn't an update yet. I figured I'd wait until somebody asked for the older releases before spending time on it, which I guess is now.

• 4 months later...

Using 1.6.1 I'm getting seemingly random crashes. Where can I get the log files to post so you guys can take a look at them? I know everyone is on vacation so I'm not holding my breath for a fix but I'd like to get the logs posted while I'm heavy into DR.

This is annoying:

icdBa0.JPG

This happens with a couple windows within windows. As you see in the pic the select sound window is open. It makes it impossible to save or exit the program normally, and you can't do anything else until you close this window. But this window is also hidden behind other windows which you cannot move or close such as the select entity window.

• 3 months later...

This is something I've only experienced in 1.6. I'm not sure if it's just my end or what but the \ key is bound to quit. If this is default it should be changed because backspace is default for delete selection and \ is right under it. I've exited a couple times by accident.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I have to upgrade the Win32 GTKmm stack to a more recent version:

..\..\radiant\ui\prefdialog\PrefPage.cpp(120): error C2039: 'property_value' : is not a member of 'Gtk::Adjustment'

w32deps\gtkmm\include\gtkmm/adjustment.h(61) : see declaration of 'Gtk::Adjustment'

I thought the gtkmm bindings were pretty stable but obviously they're still expanding the interface, at least since 2010.

Looks like I have to upgrade the Win32 GTKmm stack to a more recent version:

..\..\radiant\ui\prefdialog\PrefPage.cpp(120): error C2039: 'property_value' : is not a member of 'Gtk::Adjustment'

w32deps\gtkmm\include\gtkmm/adjustment.h(61) : see declaration of 'Gtk::Adjustment'

Wow, how old are the Gtkmm libraries? The oldest documentation on the website is for version 2.22, and even that does not list property_value() as being "introduced in version XX". I guess open source libraries do change fast though.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoah, this is kind of a chain reaction: I tried using the precompiled GTKmm binaries from ftp.gnome.org (which even provide a Win64 build - it wasn't that way a year ago), but this requires new GTK+ headers. So I took the headers from the devel packages as those are the ones the binaries have been compiled against. That in turn required a recompile of gtkglext and gtkglextmm and the result is a total disaster. DarkRadiant starts up but the drawable areas are completely messed up, as if the contexts are not switched correctly, everything affects the entire screen.

fail.jpg

I already tried switching off the wimp renderer and using the ugly GTK default one - no success. I also tried switching off the Desktop Composition option, but no luck either.

I'll run another test trying to compile GTKmm from scratch as I did before, but I'm afraid the underlying GTK+ framework needs to be upgraded too (or the GTKmm sources need to be hacked). I've read in the past that GTK+ on Windows is pretty much a dead horse as the original maintainer lost motivation years ago and nobody else wants to do it. So the most recent stable version is considered 2.16 as far as Windows is concerned.

Well I certainly hope they haven't abandoned it on Windows, because I don't even want to imagine how long it would take to convert the entire application to Qt (or whatever). If the worst comes to the worst, I think it was only one particular property that was not available in the current Windows version, so it could always be worked around. Not a promising long-term strategy though.

While the GTK+ 2.24.8 Win32 build above works (no more openGL corruption), it crashed when used with the gtkmm binaries available, so I had to recompile those completely from source (yay). Surprisingly enough this works too.

The problem now is: there is no fricking Win64 binary of GTK+2, the guys published a 32 bit set of libraries only. Either the 2.24.8 package containing the Windows fixes is too fresh, and they just need a little more time, or they can't be arsed. So unless I manage to find a working set of x64 GTK+ 2.24 libraries, I have to compile that one myself from scratch too (probably creating all the VC++ projects myself yet again), and I'm not sure I want to do that.