The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Oh yeah, I just go this on Linux, although I get a different error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::bad_lexical_cast'
 what():  bad lexical cast: source type value could not be interpreted as target

I think I know where this comes from actually, I will investigate.

Edit: FIXED.

Edit: just saw it in the logs, info_player_starts without angle seemed to throw an exception.

Yes, I replaced some legacy scanf/const char* garbage with a boost::lexical_cast, but failed to check whether the angle key was actually present before trying to cast it to a float.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to drop a note here: I messed something up with my recent brush changes. (I noticed too late that brushes aren't showing up anymore.) It has something to do with the brushmodule and I'm working on it, but it will take some time, because I'm too tired now. Sorry if this causes any problems, just be careful with revision 653.

I tried to revert the committed changes, but somehow this doesn't work for all the files, just for a part of them.

edit: Fixed. I confused min and max while copying and pasting...

I noticed that the latest SVN build crashes on AI creation (tested with builder guard and undead_zombie and spider_queen). It works fine with DR 0.7.1, so this broke within the last few weeks. It does work fine as well with atdm:loot_xxxx stuff so perhaps this is something AI-related?

Can you reproduce this on your machine, Orbweaver?

I noticed that the latest SVN build crashes on AI creation (tested with builder guard and undead_zombie and spider_queen). It works fine with DR 0.7.1, so this broke within the last few weeks. It does work fine as well with atdm:loot_xxxx stuff so perhaps this is something AI-related?

Can you reproduce this on your machine, Orbweaver?

I will investigate this evening.

Another thing: I removed the deprecated virtual capture() and release() methods from irender.h (those using const char*), I hope this is okay and you didn't left them there on purpose?

Fine, if they're deprecated they can go.

I will investigate this evening.

I cannot reproduce this unfortunately -- I tried with all of the examples you gave and the AI was created fine (although the spider queen has some strange lines going off to infinity).

May well be a Windows-only problem, I guess I should try to replicate it in Windows as well.

Do you have a functioning debugger at all? This makes finding segfaults almost trivial. I once managed to use GDB under Eclipse in Windows, but I'm pretty sure it is Permanently and Randomly Broken now, as Eclipse tends to do.

So far I know that the crash is happening in TraversableNodeSet::insert().

Ah, that is familiar. There is some screwy system whereby a container can either hold a single child (TraversableNode) or multiple children (TraversableNodeSet), with the switch between them depending on the setting of the "model" key. It may be that the entity class system (which I totally refactored a while ago) is broken in some way which is causing this switch to be made incorrectly.

Really the whole TraversableNode/NodeSet nonsense needs to go -- a set can actually hold a single object too, y'know -- but I haven't yet mustered the courage to get stuck in to such a fundamental part of the codebase as yet.

I stopped at this point in instancelib.h: InstanceSubGraphWalker::pre():

The statement

scene::Instance* instance = Node_getInstantiable(node)->create(m_path, m_parent.top());

in pre() crashes, but I haven't investigated yet what is wrong here, because I'm tired now.

The call order is something like this:

Entity_createFromSelection >> EclassModelNode::insert >> InstanceSet::insert() >> Node_traverseSubgraph >> InstanceSubGraphWalker::pre()

I won't have net access till friday evening, so I'll leave this for the moment being.

I stopped at this point in instancelib.h: InstanceSubGraphWalker::pre():

The statement

scene::Instance* instance = Node_getInstantiable(node)->create(m_path, m_parent.top());

in pre() crashes, but I haven't investigated yet what is wrong here, because I'm tired now.

Hmm, that's actually unsafe because Node_getInstantiable() can return NULL and there is no check for this. I will try and recreate this tonight on my Windows partition.

Well I can't reproduce any crash on Windows, with either debug or release builds. However, the spider queen model which displays lines going off to infinity in debug mode, causes a lockup in release mode, which I think could be related to the inline-sqrt() issue I encountered early on.

I don't see how this would cause a segfault, but it needs sorting anyway. I will try to get rid of the infinite lines on Linux, where I can debug properly, which should hopefully solve the lockup and might POSSIBLY solve the crash but I am not confident of this.

I found a source of numerical errors last night, which I believe is responsible for the infinite lines -- the processing of weights in MD5Model_Parse() involves a repeated addition of possibly small numbers to a float value, leading to a Vector3 containing 3 NaNs. This probably should be corrected properly, although for the time being I may just add a check and discard the affected vertices (leading to some missing geometry but hopefully no NaN problems).

Update: I couldn't track down the error to a distinct point, but this is what I could find out:

The problem seems to occur when trying to create an entity that has a md5mesh model. The crash occurs at this line in ModelResource_load() in referencecache.cpp:

model = loader->loadModel(*file);

I checked if the loader is NULL, but this is definitely not the case (this gets checked anyways). Strangely, the ModelLoader_forType function responsible for returning the pointer to the ModelLoader for a given type returns a non-NULL pointer, but it doesn't seem to point at one of the three candidates (NullModelLoader, MD5ModelLoader, PicoModelLoader, with MD5ModelLoader being the most probable candidate).

I implemented a virtual debug() method into these three classes that outputs a test string to std::cout to see which of these gets called, but the call loader->debug() crashes as well, so the pointer must be pointing at some crap.

I'm kind of stuck here, any advice what I could do to check the sanity of the ModelLoader* pointer?

Gah! I found the error. There was an old dll file still residing in my install/modules folder that didn't get deleted by scons after the md5 module got renamed. The module system obviously couldn't handle the various model.dll, md5model.dll modules having the same type and returned some crap.

Another 4 hours wasted! At least I got some insight into the workings of the model loader stuff...

Phew, so I didn't bugger up the entity class system then.

*relaxes*

That reminds me of the bug that took me 3 days to track down -- one of the config scripts for a Linux library (xml2 or something) inserted an --export-dynamic linker option which was causing the Model::Model() constructor in one of the model plugins to incorrectly link to a Model::Model() constructor somewhere in the main binary resulting in a crash due to incorrectly initialised data.

The NaN issue is now fixed, I believe. It was caused by the calculation of the W value for a Joint's rotation performing a sqrt() but not checking the return value for NaN before adding to the data structure. I just set the W value to 0 if this happens, which seems to work although I don't actually know what it means in mathematical terms.

I guess this could happen if you pass a negative value to sqrt()? As complex numbers are unsupported, it is most probably the best to set the value to zero, although there is something wrong with the model in the first place if this is happening.

I got a compiler error on my windows box saying that isnan() is unknown. After a short search I found this: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/newbie.html#faq-29.15

and implemented the suggested method in math/FloatTools.h named isNaN().

I hope this is ok, as I have no experience with cross-platform checks for NaN, so there may be a better solution. Feel free to correct me.

edit: Ok, just checked, and the spider queen produces a lock-up on my system, so I guess the problem is not resolved using the above method. I will try to find something else, maybe upgrading my compiler does help.

I guess this could happen if you pass a negative value to sqrt()? As complex numbers are unsupported, it is most probably the best to set the value to zero, although there is something wrong with the model in the first place if this is happening.

Yes. sqrting a negative number and possible a -INF/+INF value (I think it was -INF in this case, the Vector3::getLengthSquared() was being called when one of the vector components was 1e-07 or something, which would probably have resulted in underflow.

I got a compiler error on my windows box saying that isnan() is unknown. After a short search I found this: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/newbie.html#faq-29.15

and implemented the suggested method in math/FloatTools.h named isNaN().

I hope this is ok, as I have no experience with cross-platform checks for NaN, so there may be a better solution. Feel free to correct me.

I am surprised that it isn't available since it is the same compiler (GCC). Defining it yourself is OK, but it would be worth checking if there is some Windows-specific header you are supposed to include that defines the function.

edit: Ok, just checked, and the spider queen produces a lock-up on my system, so I guess the problem is not resolved using the above method. I will try to find something else, maybe upgrading my compiler does help.

Damn, that could be a really nasty bug to track down then, because it occurs only in Release mode (not that I have a functioning debugger on Windows anyway).