The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Great! Yep those are the two I found so far.

-About the clipping, oops :blush: yep I see it now.

-Version: I think the last I'd used before this was the 0.7 release; haven't been mapping much at all lately, though, so I'm rusty w/r/t DR and DoomEd both.

-fs_game: whether I click on startup or do so from preferences, the only option that shows up is Doom3 and I can only click it to accept. If nothing's changed, I'd assume it's not my path that's the problem (\doom3\darkradiant) because it seemed okay before.

I'm testing this under windows. Pressing 'N' only flashes the inspector briefly...you have to use the 'View' menu before it works.

Yep, I'm seeing that too.

-fs_game: whether I click on startup or do so from preferences, the only option that shows up is Doom3 and I can only click it to accept. If nothing's changed, I'd assume it's not my path that's the problem (\doom3\darkradiant) because it seemed okay before.

You can only select Doom 3 from the global preferences, to get a mod you have to go File -> Project settings, select "Custom modification" and enter the "darkmod" name in the text box. This is perhaps a usability defect, as it seems to crop up quite often; feel free to raise it as such along with the other two bugs.

You can only select Doom 3 from the global preferences, to get a mod you have to go File -> Project settings, select "Custom modification" and enter the "darkmod" name in the text box. This is perhaps a usability defect, as it seems to crop up quite often; feel free to raise it as such along with the other two bugs.

Gotcha, that worked. Seems familiar too. Like I said, I'm rusty. ;)

Also, a clarification: on fresh startup (deleted the DR application data folder), I'm asked for the engine path - are they seeking the Doom3 path or the DR path? Because I browse to Doom3, and each time, it appends /darkradiant onto it. It's not clear which it wants.

Found the problem. By default, DR came with both View Entity Info and ToggleEntityInspector bound to 'N'. Evidently, it didn't like this. One of those options needs to be removed, they both bring up the exact same window.

This is fixed on SVN.

Also, a clarification: on fresh startup (deleted the DR application data folder), I'm asked for the engine path - are they seeking the Doom3 path or the DR path? Because I browse to Doom3, and each time, it appends /darkradiant onto it. It's not clear which it wants.

The Doom 3 root path is required (i.e. C:\games\doom3). There have been cases where a subfolder is appended to the selected path (although it never happened to me). If this happens you can always edit the engine path via the Preferences to correct this.

* Browsing some textures in the media browser and then closing DR causes an "Orphaned shader still referenced" assertion.

I'm currently refactoring the TexturesMap class (I'm roughly finished with textures.cpp, but not with the changes required to get the Overlay plugin running).

Should we try to fix this in the original texture browser or in the refactored version?

I'm currently refactoring the TexturesMap class (I'm roughly finished with textures.cpp, but not with the changes required to get the Overlay plugin running). Should we try to fix this in the original texture browser or in the refactored version?

I'm just going to remove that stupid assertion. Who cares if a texture is reference at shutdown? The memory will be reclaimed by the operating system anyway when the application is closed.

* Activating mouselook with RMB, then switching between render modes, then right-clicking again gives an assertion failure ("free-move was already enabled"). This also messes up the mouse pointer -- I think there is a strong case for disabling the toggle mode and using a rightclick-drag mouselook that does not intercept mouse events.

This is also fixed on SVN now. :)

I committed another feature to the overlay_plugin branch: the camera position and view angles are now saved to the worldspawn entity on map save. I tested it with maze1.map and it seems to work. :)

If the custom entity keys are not found, DarkRadiant falls back to the ordinary GtkRadiant behaviour (info_player_start is used as camera position).

I merged your last commit into the branch, so it should be up to date. How do I merge the branch back into the trunk? Can this be done by choosing "Merge" from TortoiseSVN's menu or should I do this manually / in another way?

You should use the Merge command, yes. What you need to do is choose the URL of your branch in the URL box, and then select the range of revisions to merge -- which seems to be from 796 to HEAD. Note that when you select revision 796, the command generated wil actually start from 795 because you need then changes BETWEEN 795 and 796 to get the revision.

The equivalent SVN command is:

merge -r795:HEAD https://darkradiant.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/darkradiant/branches/overlay_plugin /path/to/local/darkradiant

What the command will do is calculate the diff between 795 and HEAD in that branch, and then merge that diff into your local working copy. Ideally there should be no conflicts when you do this, although I got one on user.xml (not entirely sure why) -- if you get loads of conflicts, you are probably not merging the correct changeset.

Merged and committed as we speak. :)

The overlay module and the camera position restore is now in trunk. The camera restore could do with a bit of polishing (moving the player start entity key names into doom3.game and so on).

The current camera position is saved under editor_drLastCameraPos. Should I move this key name into doom3.game or leave it hardcoded as a constant (as it's not exactly game-specific)?

Merged and committed as we speak. :)

Excellent, I will check it out.

The current camera position is saved under editor_drLastCameraPos. Should I move this key name into doom3.game or leave it hardcoded as a constant (as it's not exactly game-specific)?

This should definitely go in the game file, since it could conceivably need to be changed for the game (if they key was used for other things, or something). Besides, hardcoding is evil and should be avoided wherever possible.

Ok, the info_player_start eclass name is stored in doom3.game along with the two editor_drLastBleh keys.

I tweaked the handling of these editor-specific keys such that they are removed as soon as they have been parsed and therefore won't bother the user while editing the map.

The persistent camera is certainly working well.

Did you start anything regarding the toolbar button/dialog for the background image? I'm quite happy to take this on as a GUI task, if you are concentrating on other stuff.

I'm currently changing the XMLRegistry to use two trees (it turns out to be quite straightforward, so I'll be finished soon).

Feel free to create a dialog, I've got some other tasks assigned in the bugtracker as well. :)