The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

A curiosity I've noticed is that the DR (v 0.8.1 of 12.4.07) open dialog sorts doom3 to the end even when sorted in alpha order, see HERE Maybe it's because I have that one folder named just 'c'.

Also I've mentioned before that closing any dialog in DR reverts focus to the last program used not back to DR like all other programs do. I'm finding this is especially noticeable (and mildly annoying after a lot of occasions) because I am often writing while referring back to dialogs.

Correction - I just found that the 'about' dialog does not do this - the only one I've found that doesn't. Also the error only seems to happen when Alt-tab switching between programs.

Compare the shortcuts list on the same menu. Open your text editor or your web browser whatever and Dark Radiant. In DR, open the shortcuts lists or almost any dialog, Alt-tab back to the text editor to make notes; Alt-tab back to DR, you can correctly see the dialog with DR below it. Close the dialog. You find the text editor comes to the top not DR.

Opened city_area map in DR (v.0.8.1 of 12 Apr 07) last night to have a quick look then closed DR. This morning I opened DR and the last map is opened as normal. But I cannot use any menu option. If I move the mouse over say file menu to get 'new map' or open another [EDIT - it needs a click on a menu to start the error] then DR locks up with the hourglass when I move over the menu bar. Oddly, it's not a complete lockout as I can close it with the X button top right but get the 'not responding' error. I 'only' have 512Mb RAM so maybe that's the problem? City is probably bigger than any map I've opened in DR.

In the end I had to edit user.xml to remove the city_area last map name, then I could open and use DR normally.

Presumably I can repeat this so if you want error output, log etc. then let me know.

What do you mean the last map is opened? I have never heard of maps being opened automatically, is this a new feature?

If this is a feature, then it certainly needs to be controllable. I would not vote for an "open last map automatically" feature at all for precisely the reason you suggest.

Yeah, the feature has already been there in GtkRadiant, I just refactored it.

The lockup is strange, does it immediately go to 100% CPU when just auto-opening the map or do you actually have to click a menu before it locks up?

The lockup is strange, does it immediately go to 100% CPU when just auto-opening the map or do you actually have to click a menu before it locks up?

You have to click a menu then the full hourglass appears. Once it appears it will always appear when the mouse hovers over the menu bar area. It does not lock Windows and you can still click DR's close button (I never thought to try editing anything in the orthoview or anything)

The "open" dialog sorts alphabetically starting with capital letters, then lower case (it appears)

Ha! I never noticed that! Obvious really. All my other folders on that drive begin with a capital letter. So it should be a simple matter of adjusting the sort to be not case specific.

So it should be a simple matter of adjusting the sort to be not case specific.

Which apparently is not possible. Or more accurately, probably is possible (because the GIMP uses case-insensitive sort on Windows) but the GTK developers can't be bothered to document how to achieve this.

Also I've mentioned before that closing any dialog in DR reverts focus to the last program used not back to DR like all other programs do. I'm finding this is especially noticeable (and mildly annoying after a lot of occasions) because I am often writing while referring back to dialogs.

I could fix this, so this shouldn't happen again in new builds.

As for the lockup, I don't have a clue at the moment, but let's see if a new build does the same. As I've finished another S/R Editor session today, this is also a chance for you to try out the new S/R dialog.

edit: New build will be up in 2 minutes: http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia..._latest_SVN.zip

Thanks, got the new download. Hey! The lockup with city map problem has gone! Just proves my motto 'Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow then with a bit of luck you might not have to do it at all'

Only had a quick look at the new S & R interface but it is progressing very nicely. I like the new custom stim name input - and I see it gets added to the list. I hadn't realized that the number in the entity's stims list is a different number to the stim number. Anyway, I'll report later (manyana? ;) ) when I've had a chance to look at it more. I'll probably be asking what some of the stuff does...

yeah - that one's about one pixel wider all round than it really is - I had to adjust it in paintshop pro because psp showed the standard Windows cursor instead of the current one. My eyesight is not good so I use one of the larger Windows cursors. I think there is a transparent one but I've never known this problem before. Not serious if it can't be fixed easily.

I noticed that this very issue has recently been raised on the gnome.org bugtracker, so keep your fingers crossed that this issue will get resolved in the future (although it's considered a minor bug there, so it may as well be forgotten).

These are my favourite error messages, because they don't actually say anything useful apart from "Hey, DarkRadiant is gonna crash as soon as you click OK, but do it 20 times just to make sure you notice."

I can't say what the reason here is, is it specific to a distinct model or does it happen immediately after clicking "Choose Model..."?

So it's not reproducible? Hm. Hopefully it doesn't occur again and if it does, please try to nail it down. I once had a crash that was specific to a distinct model, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

OrbWeaver, can I go ahead and try to assemble a windows build with the new GTK+ 2.10 binaries? It seems that there are some bugfixes in the new ones (as I don't see the errors that SneaksieDave and Fidcal are experiencing).

From my previous attempt we saw that there are some additional dependencies, so I'd try to figure them out and get DarkRadiant on a new machine.

What's your opinion? Should I rather wait with this?

Ok, I've assembled a package here (I tested it on another machine and it should work):

@Fidcal, SneaksieDave or anybody else with a non-build environment: Could you check, if this package can be run on your systems. Extract it into a fresh folder, don't extract it over an existing 0.8.1 build so that I can make sure there are no remains from the previous release making it "accidentally" work.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/DarkRadia...SVN_GTK_210.zip