The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

I also considered creating the Win32 build with VC++ this time. The binary sizes are smaller by far (can't say why)

Be careful with that. I noticed this too and thought that VC++ was just doing some awesome size optimisation, but in actual fact it's because it tends to dynamically link the standard C/C++ libraries. And not all Windows systems have the required DLLs. IIRC they don't even ship with Windows XP, though they might be in SP2 (not sure).

You can distribute the DLLs in the same package or separately, or you can specify a compiler switch to statically link such libraries, making the binary essentially self-contained. I prefer the latter.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Be careful with that. I noticed this too and thought that VC++ was just doing some awesome size optimisation, but in actual fact it's because it tends to dynamically link the standard C/C++ libraries. And not all Windows systems have the required DLLs. IIRC they don't even ship with Windows XP, though they might be in SP2 (not sure).

That sounds familiar, it's probably the MSVCRT71.DLL we're talking about here.

You can distribute the DLLs in the same package or separately, or you can specify a compiler switch to statically link such libraries, making the binary essentially self-contained. I prefer the latter.

Are you sure we can package it along with DarkRadiant? I'd also prefer the static link option, I'll have to look into that.

Hm I can imagine now why GtkRadiant chose to use a standalone STLPort in their project. I'm running into linker problems when trying to statically link the CRT libraries into the EXE. It seems that some other library (libxml2 or zlib or GTK+, I don't know) has already been statically linked (probably using MSVC++ 2003), because I'm running into duplicate CRT symbols during the link phase.

After some googling I found that Microsoft doesn't recommend statically linking against the CRT, because it can cause problems when the CRT counterpart in Windows gets upgraded or something like this. The CRT code is "baked" into DarkRadiant's EXE, leaving no way to resolve compatibility issues by replacing the DLL.

There are several possibilities of resolving this:

- Use the STLPort implementation instead of the MSVC one.

- Find the offending library which has been built with the older VC++ and rebuild it (?)

- Leave DR with dynamic CRT linking, which also leaves the DLL problem open.

I think the Blender people have been running into similar problems as we do now, given some google hits on the msvcrt.dll shipping problem.

What still strikes me as odd is the requirement of the MSVCR71.DLL which is associated with VC++ 2003, whereas VC++ 2005 (the one I'm using) should link to MSVCR80.DLL. I think there is one library in our depdendencies still linking to the old version of the CRT, I just have to find out which one this is.

Are you sure we can package it along with DarkRadiant?

Uh, good point. I'm not sure of the licencing situation.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that currently a selected light does not display its volume in the 3D view. This makes it hard to visualise the the size and shape of a light.

Is it possible to enable this feature (I believe it did exist, but was disabled because of the red highlight being confusing or something)? I looked in the preferences but could find no reference.

I remember now, the reason I removed the solid (semi-transparent) overlay was because it prevents you from seeing the rendered light in Lighting mode, however the AABB wireframe is still needed to visualise the light volume. I will look into modifying light_draw() to draw only the diamond and wireframe, with no faces.

For some reason I've been getting this weird thing happening in the 3d view since getting my 22" monitor. Right now I'm using two monitors, and only using 1 with DR [meaning i have it full in 1 monitor]. Here's a picture of what is happening, it changed with what I select, if I select the obvious weird looking brush, and move the camera, it stops making the strange affect. It is just a flat brush. It changes distortion as the camera moves.

86197794rg8.th.jpg

I've seen that one too a few times since I have got vista :blink: , but mostly while having the bonehoard open in DR and compiling it in doom at the same time, so I thought it might be due to doom either being a performance drain or causing some graphics issue.

@greebo, saw your quote here:

The scenegraph refactor is on our roadmap to DarkRadiant 0.9.6, together with the Objectives Editor. This will require a large (if not huge) amount of work, and we included layering and grouping into the design. Work on it hasn't started yet, so don't expect it too soon - the Thief's Den pre-beta release is currently requiring our full attention.

I was going to ask, before work begins toward 0.9.6 which might temporarily cripple or break the interim version, might we get a new snapshot of 0.9.5.x? It looks like the latest is Dec 10. It's not urgent, I just wanted to ask before anything which might prevent new snapshots for a long time, began.

The release of DarkRadiant 0.9.5 was in fact planned for release in 2007. Thief's Den came into the way.

Rest assured that we will release a new version before we start to rip the guts out of the codebase. :)

• 2 weeks later...

v.0.9.5.defaulted to grid size 1. I found it in prefs and changed it back to 8. Now I've gone back to 0.9.4 and this is now defaulting to 64 but I can't find any pref settings. Can't find it in any of the files in docs & settings either (by searching for 'grid'.) Is this something I can adjust?