The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

@All: please be on the lookout for a freeze resulting somehow from some or all of these steps:

1. Start DR fresh

2. Drag a brush or two*

3. Open the Media Tab*

4. Lift/copy the texture (MMB) from a brush face, thus seeking in Media tab, apply to another

*Steps 2 and 3 can be reversed in order

At this point, sometimes, DR hangs with an hourglass, and must be terminated (after waiting several minutes for recovery). Since it's not 100% reproducable, I can't say which step is causing the problem. I ran into this first a few weeks ago, but couldn't repro, so I didn't make an official report. Now I've hit it twice so far today. Perhaps there is some undefined state upon just opening DR, where if it tries to copy or paste a texture which isn't yet loaded... (???)

This is with version 0.9.6, Apr 28 18:29:55.

Edit: Possibly it's about the very first texturing operation being one of: selecting a texture in Media tab, and then using Ctrl-MMB to apply it to a brush face. Maybe it's not in the clipboard properly yet sometimes?

I'm sure there's a reason for copy shader loading all the media browser entries but I can't think what. If this is crucial is there a case for just loading them when DR is launched? It seems unnatural to hang anyway when first hitting copy shader - even without this crash.

Just thought I'd see how DoomEdit copes with loading a very large prefab and it too produces multiple entities with the same name. I suppose that is already known? Plus it took just as long to load a big one as DR. But I could drag it around easier once loaded. DR was like one step per minute (I did a big line up the other day which was like an orbital docking manoeuvre and too round 40 minutes.) I just saved from DoomEd but then it crashed and I saw lots of 'too many points being moved' or something in the console. But it appeared to have saved it OK apart from the names. I'll start again tomorrow and give the prefab names a unique id first. :wacko:

On a related note, I've recently started working on the Namespace refactor (as it is the top priority issue for the next 0.9.7 release). It's a somewhat large undertaking (or better put, a rather complex one) and it will take me a while, but expect the name handling to be better in the next release. I'm usually working on this during small breaks at work, but these are of course very sparse. I was lucky to find three hours this week to investigate the existing design and carve out a plan for the refactor.

ditto.

meanwhile, if merging in a biggish prefab or map section one temp solution might be load it first into a decent text editor then search and replace all...

"name" "

with...

"name " "IDX

IDX being any short distinctive prefix just X probably do. So "light_22" becomes "IDXlight_22" and won't clash with anything in the main map. This is only as a one-off if doing a big job, obviously it won't help if you keep loading several of the same prefab.

gotta dash but just for the record that problem with changing models not showing in DR is still there in latest. You need to save and reload map, maybe reload DR. Then original model shows. Can get round it by selecting another model, then reselect the one you want. eg, I used moveable bowl, gave it chamber pot model. next time it showed in DR cam view as bowl (chamber pot still model in entity inspector of course)

More and more I find I'm dragging a brush to set a region from. The region from selection is not reliable I think - possibly if it is a large selection - and I'm not sure that it will be needed after the select layer option is added. Anyway, I generally prefer filtering down to a volume. I mentioned this before about keeping some nodraw brushes in place and when needed I select, clone, and set the region from that, at which point the clone is removed leaving the original for next time. I've used this a lot for example around my carpeted stairway and hall in edridge. So much so that I think I will eventually create a new material derived from nodraw and name it region or something.

Now relating to that I also find that because often dragging out a brush for a region can often be full height, to save time setting the height from the side, in plan view I shift LMB drag to select[/] and Esc to cancel. That sets the 'last height' so if I now drag out a brush it will be the full height and I can just set the region from it. If that region could be named it would be useful but not crucial. Just tried and made the brush func_static so it could be named. If you tab to select the brush it then works. It deleted. Hope it didn't leave a widowed entity!

Perhaps also useful is if this region brush could have a special colour in ortho. In Dromed the area brush was orange so it was useful to have a different colour.

Now relating to all that I find I do this often enough I wonder if there is a case for some sort of drag that instantly hides everything except that area full height. Kind of instant region. Maybe Alt+LMB I don't think is used.

Can't recall if I've already put something on bugtracker but if the above makes any sense I can add to it or make a new one.

I'm not sure I follow what you're describing... but if I do, that already works. Drag your brush around the area in XY view (top down), then hit 'Set from Brush' (which can be bound to a hotkey: RegionSetBrush). Voila: drag, press, regioned. :)

Edit: Oh oh, wait, I think I get you... you mean, you don't want to have to set the brush height, you just want full height as the default? For that use set from XY view.

But then you won't get the correct depth necessarily. Say in Saint Lucia you want to just see the upper street area near the tunnel. If you drag a brush it will have the depth taken from the last brush I think it is. So it might be only one unit deep or 5000.

But then you won't get the correct depth necessarily. Say in Saint Lucia you want to just see the upper street area near the tunnel. If you drag a brush it will have the depth taken from the last brush I think it is. So it might be only one unit deep or 5000.

I think it saves the brush sizes of the last brush made/resized. I usually select a brush of similar size as I want to make, then drag a brush out and it's close to what I want.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Ah - didn't realize what the set from xy did or long forgotten. So you zoom in to the area you want in top view then use that and it sets the region from that view to the max depth. I'll use that thanks.

No, what I was doing before to set from a brush is this. If you drag out a brush in top view you then have to switch to a side view and drag its top and bottom to set its height. If instead, in top view you first Shift LMB drag to select in one move it automatically sets the height you want because the subsequent brush you drag will use that default height. Then Esc then drag your brush and set the region from the brush - it's quicker than adjusting the height in another view then going back to top view. But set from xy is better - I just didn't realize what it meant. :rolleyes:

What I said earlier at http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showt...st&p=154037 about giving entities distinctive names before merging - you also need to change the model name on func static brushes else they don't appear, eg,

search and replace

"name" "func_static_ with "name" "func_static_IDX

but also...

search and replace

"model" "func_static_ with "model" "func_static_IDX

But this glitch also made it clear how much the sky reduces performance. Yikes - it's gotta go. Wonder if that is why I got good performance the other week in saintlucia?

Any way to put a line spacer in a map? While doing a lot of editing of objectives it is very confusing to read because of the format and it doesn't help that >9 goes to the top so #10 which is the same as 9 but with a different difficulty appears before 1 (I did try 01, 02, 03 but got strange results so the jury's out on that one.) But DR removes comments // so you see how awkward even this fraction of 10 objectives is to read...

~~~
"obj8_difficulty" "2"
"obj8_mandatory" "1"
"obj8_ongoing" "1"
"obj9_1_irreversible" "1"
"obj9_1_spec1" "spawnclass"
"obj9_1_spec2" "name"
"obj9_1_spec_val1" "idPlayer"
"obj9_1_spec_val2" "ExitLocation1"
"obj9_1_type" "location"
"obj9_2_irreversible" "1"
"obj9_2_spec1" "spawnclass"
"obj9_2_spec2" "name"
"obj9_2_spec_val1" "idPlayer"
"obj9_2_spec_val2" "ExitLocation2"
"obj9_2_type" "location"
"obj9_desc" "When you have completed your main objectives, you must escape  from the vicinity of the church."
"obj9_difficulty" "0 1"
"obj9_enabling_objs" "1 AND 4"
"obj9_logic_success" "1 OR 2"

compared to...

~~~
"obj8_difficulty" "2"
"obj8_mandatory" "1"
"obj8_ongoing" "1"
//
"obj9_1_irreversible" "1"
"obj9_1_spec1" "spawnclass"
"obj9_1_spec2" "name"
"obj9_1_spec_val1" "idPlayer"
"obj9_1_spec_val2" "ExitLocation1"
"obj9_1_type" "location"
//
"obj9_2_irreversible" "1"
"obj9_2_spec1" "spawnclass"
"obj9_2_spec2" "name"
"obj9_2_spec_val1" "idPlayer"
"obj9_2_spec_val2" "ExitLocation2"
"obj9_2_type" "location"
//
"obj9_desc" "When you have completed your main objectives, you must escape  from the vicinity of the church."
"obj9_difficulty" "0 1"
"obj9_enabling_objs" "1 AND 4"
"obj9_logic_success" "1 OR 2"

Any way to put a line spacer in a map? While doing a lot of editing of objectives it is very

Do you mean you edit the objectives in the map file directly? I thought we had an editor for this? *confused*

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The original one is broke but there is a new one under development I believe

[EDIT] in fact I mostly use a text editor which is easier than DR for this sort of thing plus I can have doom running at the same time

There's no way for DR to preserve comments in map files. The whole map file gets re-exported when you click on "save", and any changes made by an external text editor are removed.

However, you can add spawnargs like these:

"obj8___________" "___________"

The original one is broke but there is a new one under development I believe

[EDIT] in fact I mostly use a text editor which is easier than DR for this sort of thing plus I can have doom running at the same time

Ah and I thought I was the only one who mucked directly in the map file (I use mostly grep and perl-oneliners :)

If you want, I can write a map-file-reformatter that resorts the objective spawnargs and inserts the comments - you would run it before you edit them.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thanks Tels, worth considering - might have tried it a week ago - but just a little earlier this evening I think I finished this particular task - I'm about to test a bit more thoroughly but am hopeful because I found my errors. So it's borderline whether it is worth it.

I might come back to you some time in the future. In that case I would not use comments to space out but just blank lines - the comments were only a compromise in the hope that they would be permanent.

• 4 weeks later...
I noticed that some redundant size dimensions now show up when something is selected, but there is no space, so it looks like "x:168y32" all together, and is a bit hard to read at a glance. Is this already tracked? It's doubled on all the measurements on the right, but not along the bottom.

xyzmeasure.jpg

Just wanted to ask this again, am I the only one seeing these dimensions all wacked like this?:

xyzmeasure2.jpg

Back in April I think I was on 0.9.7pre1, now I'm using 0.9.7pre10

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif