The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

0.9.7. Load saint_lucia.map and save with a new name. It always crashes DR (well 3 times I tried) and no save. Saving with a new name always seems to hang for a really long time processing. Don't know what is different to saving with the same name - maybe I should just copy the file and rename it in Explorer first for now.

Confirmed - I'll have a look at that. :o

I could reproduce the hang/crash on my local system in a debug build, so I'll get to the root of this, but I had to stop and leave for work. I'll continue to work on that in the evening. For now, I'd suggest copying the file or using the region feature (which should work, I used it two days ago).

Wow, there was a rather critical bug in the Speaker's copy constructor. This crash should hit every single map with speaker entities in them.

I fixed the code in src, I'm afraid we'll need a bugfix release soon.

OK, I confirm no crash when resaving St.Lucia with new name.

I finally ordered a new PC so I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be able to handle maps like St. Lucia better - maybe even have TDM windowed at the same time. Maybe even be able to play Blackheart.

Why are these two identical books, both atdm:readable_mobile but one has a big brush attached? Strictly speaking I guess I should have created a new entity but all the others were OK.

What did you do to create these? Cloned the one from the other? (I can only guess, I need more information.)

My best guess is I tried to create the entity, it said there is no brush selected, I dragged out a brush and made the entity then changed its model to the book I wanted. Maybe I was filtering out the brush somehow so I didn't see it when I made them. But I don't have any such filter. Maybe others I cloned from something else and changed them or more likely, made the model then changed it from func_static. I'll go through the closed book prefabs and delete the brush in a plain text editor. I've already looked in three - the brush was in one but not the other two. Or maybe I'll make a closed book readable entity. They are not uncommon in T2 missions.

Yep, most of the cloning/naming/numbering I've seen checks out, with one remaining problem I know of: sometimes when cloning something with a target, for example a guard and his patrol points, all in one go, the targets will visually appear to target worldspawn, but in reality they do not. If you save and restart DR, the target arrows are then drawn properly.

@jdude: I uploaded a new snapshot build 0.9.8pre5 which fixes your issue report here: #647

The snapshot build can be downloaded here: http://72.8.59.188/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant/...t-0.9.8pre5.exe

Could you check this out if this fixes the issue you described. I'm not 100% sure if I hit the nail, because your issue description differs slightly from what I did on my end. Chances are that there might be two bugs and I fixed only one of them.

...way off on side track but....

The nextversion-pre# naming has always confused the heck out of me. Why not just have it be 0.9.7.5 instead of 0.9.8pre5? My brain didn't like 9.7 something 9, something 10, something 11, something 12, then just 9.7 coming AFTER that!

... no biggie though, I can of course live with the current system :)

Also, there is a little bug with the select all in layer feature, I tracked it

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Hm, well I figured the "pre" would make it clear that it isn't a regular release of DarkRadiant. These pre-releases or pre-views could contain half-finished features or tests to check out a new approach (like the GTK stuff I was testing during development 0.9.5 or 0.9.6).

Back on what I was discussing earlier, I see now all these entities have a brush attached. I've just been through and deleted them all in the readables prefabs in a plain text editor but then realized they are all created like that by default. I don't think I've done any harm because if I load a prefab it looks the same. So what is the purpose of these dummy brushes? The prefabs seem to work without them - or at least, DR recreates them when the prefab is inserted. But in some situations they become visible in the editor so you can't see the book.

I remember that I had a similar stance over DoomEdit two years ago (saying that we won't need DoomEdit anymore about the time we release the mod). While I think it is true that you don't have to use it at all to produce maps, DEdit still has some plus points over DR. Frankly, I wouldn't even count the renderer into that, because I never missed that feature for mapping/modding (run the map in-game anyway), but the animation support and the particle editor is something where DR can't keep the pace yet.

editparticles

I guess the point is, dropping support for the built in native editor with features people like and want, just to remove the need for a dummy brush attached to entities for the sake of compatibility, is not really worth it. Once that door is closed, it's a big change with consequences, and it's best avoided altogether without mentioning for something so small and unimportant.

I think that dummy brush was added to stay compatible with DoomEdit? I didn't implement that, so I can't recall what the exact motives were. OrbWeaver?

To be honest, that's about as much as I can remember about this issue as well. They seemed to be necessary for something, but I can't recall exactly what.

It might be worth a try just to remove them and see if anything breaks (including checking for DoomEdit compatibility -- I agree with Dave that support for this should not be dropped without careful consideration).