The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

If I try to open doom3/saintlucia/saintlucia.map in Dark Radiant it goes through the motions for a few seconds, even shows the path/name in the title bar and history, but the map is blank. Needless to say it is normal in a text editor.

Is this a known thing and Dark Radiant is pointed only at darkmod and base?

No problem if so but I just thought I'd mention it.

I should add that I'm trying to stick to the one folder because the current setup is fraught with pitfalls if the pk4 is open and there is a copy of the map in darkmod/maps and another in saintlucia, and doom does one thing with map and another with dmap and so on.

DarkRadiant is generally using the "base" folder and the one mentioned in the fs_game setting to load resources. If the map is located somewhere else, it should still work though.

I'd need to know your specific setup to see whether this is a bug or misconfiguration.

Not worth worrying about at the moment. I just tried another small map in a temp folder on another drive and that is the same so I'd treat this as darkmod and base only (unless the user changes the game setting)

I think doom is dmapping into the saintlucia folder which is confusing if the map is in the darkmod/maps folder and one is updating the pk4. How are you doing it? Adding those files separately?

I think doom is dmapping into the saintlucia folder which is confusing if the map is in the darkmod/maps folder and one is updating the pk4. How are you doing it? Adding those files separately?

I'm working with a base, darkmod and saintlucia folder for months now (fs_game plus fs_game_base) and I got so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

I'm putting the map into darkmod/maps and work with DarkRadiant. Then let the game dmap it, and copy the files from darkmod/maps/ and saintlucia/maps/ into the PK4. Afterwards I remove all files from both folders to prevent any remnants from overriding the PK4.

No, that's fine as it is.

Note though that there shouldn't be any need anymore to use the dual folder setup (darkmod+saintlucia). The release branch has been modified so that saintlucia is always the starting map.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay here's an obscure itch that possibly doesn't bother anyone else, but I'm hoping for some ideas on it.

Working on a map, you'll save it as mymap.map. Then, you check it out in-game, and restart the editor (damn battling for resources prob). In the load map dialog, you type "my" and auto-complete fills in the rest for you, yay. However when you get into the map, you find it is actually missing some of the most recent stuff you added. What? Look up at the title bar; you didn't load mymap.map, you loaded mymap.autosave.map. Grrr, the autosave sorts higher than the true map. This gets me frequently, unless I'm paying attention and expecting it.

Why not just turn off autosaves? Because they're useful, silly! However, the fact that they sort higher in the load dialog does cause this occasional minor annoyance (especially if the map is for instance, blackheart.autosave.map, which just took ten minutes of my time to load!).

What could be done? Name the autosave differently? Somehow force autosaves to the end of the sort? Ignore autosaves in auto-completion?

I don't think there is any way of adjusting the sort order in the GTK dialog, so I would go with renaming the autosave map, maybe something like "mymap.map.autosave" or something (which means the user would have to manually rename it before Doom 3 could use it, which might be either desirable or undesirable).

I'm not positive, but I think that's a fairly common practice (checking DoomEd now). It's probably a fine way to handle it, because it's easy and obvious how to put the files to use, and they're rarely if ever needed anyway.

Edit: Weird. DoomEd just names them autosave1.map (presumably incremented). Well, if we went with mymap.map.autosave method, it would open up the option to increment as well.

I've never ran into that problem myself (I always select from list), but I can see that others would, especially as more and more people start editing with DR.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Another bug has been occuring in the last few days : In the middle of a session the Esc to DEselect stops working until I close and re-open DR. Shift LMB still works and Esc is still shown as the hotkey. Esc still works in say Texture Tool so it isn't my Esc key failing.

I finally know now what caused this bug, where the ESC key is not working anymore to deselect things. Angua found out, it's reproducably happening when deleting objects while still having some vertices selected. The vertices never "de-register" themselves from the SelectionSystem and the ESC routine keeps thinking there are some vertices still highlighted.

Now I know enough to kill that bug.

Ah good find. Sounds like just the sort of thing I might do. I use Esc to escape everything, including in-game readables which is a bit distracting. Once I was in an embarrassing situation at a party and tried to hit my Esc button but couldn't find it. Too much time at the keyboard I guess. :rolleyes:

Ah good find. Sounds like just the sort of thing I might do. I use Esc to escape everything, including in-game readables which is a bit distracting. Once I was in an embarrassing situation at a party and tried to hit my Esc button but couldn't find it. Too much time at the keyboard I guess. :rolleyes:

:laugh: As long as you can find the "Home" button, it's alright I guess. Let's not speak about the "Insert" toggle.

:laugh: As long as you can find the "Home" button, it's alright I guess. Let's not speak about the "Insert" toggle.

Yeah that was the bug that I was talking about a few weeks ago. But when I lose escape functionality, when I close DR it crashes.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Weren't you the one who said that you need some timeout? :laugh:

Um, erm well, I don't know what you're talking about. :laugh:

Well, now KNOWS how to fix that bug, but he'll just wait to actually fix it till next week! :D

Too late, already fixed that two days ago. ;)

:) To my defense, I actually didn't do anything else apart from fixing that bug (ok, and one other bug).

The rest of time has been spent with other stuff, including some mapping in the Gathers map (finally!).

• 3 weeks later...

These settings aren't inherited, but you should see them when opening the "Add Property" dialog.

Are you saying you want these settings to be readily defined when you create a "fresh" speaker? This would be possible, but we need to make sure that these settings cover at least 80% of the use cases.

Either that or create several classes of speakers, each with their own set of default properties.