The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

I'd like to request two new features with (the really great :wub: ) layer support:

* option to rename a layer

* Add a "New layer" button to the "Copy to layer..." and "Move to layer..." submenus. Esp in the early phases of a map many layers are newly created and it would be cool to not have to first the layer dialog, create a new layer, then return to the orthoview to move the selected entities to the now existing layer.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I actually intended to include the rename layer support in the first place, but I seem to have forgotten about that. Please add that to the tracker.

I'm not so sure about the "New Layer" thingy - it basically means to "move" functionality from the LayerControlDialog to the OrthoContextMenu. I need to think about that.

You need to transfer the .darkradiant file as well as the .map file to your laptop.

Thanks Fidcal,

I knew I was forgetting some file.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I actually intended to include the rename layer support in the first place, but I seem to have forgotten about that. Please add that to the tracker.

Done: http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=1548 :)

I'm not so sure about the "New Layer" thingy - it basically means to "move" functionality from the LayerControlDialog to the OrthoContextMenu. I need to think about that.

I got the idea from Picasa: There adding a photo to an album also allows you to create a new album on the fly. And since adding about a dozend layers to my map I started to wish I could just do that from the "Move to" menu. Not essential, but would be nice to have :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I was going to suggest myself that 'new layer' be also added to the context menu - simply because two or three times I was in that position and for quickness I would have liked to do it and instinctively went to do it that way. The rest of the layer dialog is fine and I don't think it takes away from that. New layer should also remain on the layer dialog of course.

@AH : The pink blocks thing is sorted out now thanks.

@Flanders: Not sure if you're stuck on the basics or the details. What exactly are you trying to do?

S & R is a proximity trigger: stim goes on one entity and response on another. For a new custom stim you first create a new name in the third tab. You then select the stim in the first tab on the entity where you want the stim. On the entity where you want the response you select the same stim again but this time on the second tab. So now you have two entities - one has the stim and the other has the response. Then you add a specific effect(s) on the response by right clicking in the right panel and selecting add and choosing. The adjustments to the stim are more complex.

Take a look in saintlucia.map at Hammer of Doom which has one stim on it and HammerResponse which has several responses to that one stim.

[EDIT] Sorry, Re-reading your post I think you just want 'right click the effects panel for the context menu.

Sorry, Re-reading your post I think you just want 'right click the effects panel for the context menu.

Yes, that's it. You might want to change this in your beginners tutorial on page 6:

* Select IncriminateStim

* With IncriminateStim highlighted, double click in the big window on the right headed Response Effects.

* In the popup menu select the downward pointer in the Effect field.

* Select Trigger.

It does not say how to create a new response effect. great tutorial btw.

New feature: the Entity Selector has a model preview now.

post-406-1228513455_thumb.png

Wow, very nice. I was wishing for this today :wub:

My goodness, I if had known this was just a burning issue, I would have given this more priority. It took me 15 minutes to implement this. :laugh: (and Kudos to OrbWeaver for making the model preview so modular, I merely had to plug it in.)

Anyway, glad you like it. Expect this to be in the upcoming 0.9.8 release.

Yes, if you had spent two months on it then nobody would have noticed! :laugh:

On another matter there was discussion somewhere about conflict of keys but I can't find it now, maybe earlier in this thread. Anyway, to add to that, I'm finding this last week the map is not saving with Ctrl+S, I think because the focus is in entity inspector. I think this is new? I always use Ctrl+S.

Yes, the Entity Inspector has been changed to eat all keystrokes except ESC. This is to prevent things like accidental entity duplication and other evil things.

But why would it eat things like "CTRL+S"?

But why would it eat things like "CTRL+S"?

Because I configured it this way, of course.

(In principle, GTK provides a function to check whether the keystroke is "used" by the currently focused field. If this is the case, I didn't propagate the event to the parent window and the shortcut manager. However, the GTK function is flawed and certain key up/down combinations are reported as "not usable", when in fact the keyboard focus is on the entry field and the space bar is hit.)

To cap a cone I used cap > cylinder. I made this func_static. Later I cloned this, and because I was resizing I deleted the cap and made a new one. Another clone and repeated again. I tabbed through and realized there are extra patches - probably zero size patches at the sharp end. I tab through and each visible patch highlights. When it gets to the unwanted patches there is no sign of a highlight (presumably too small.) I then hit backspace to get rid of them. Now I can tab through the func_static normally. Maybe we need a cap cone option unless there is another way to do this.

Yes, this sounds like an issue - please add that to the tracker.

The problem is that the cap cylinder algorithm doesn't "know" when it's used on cones - they are technically the same. An additional check is in order to recognise these cases, I assume.

Because I configured it this way, of course.

(In principle, GTK provides a function to check whether the keystroke is "used" by the currently focused field. If this is the case, I didn't propagate the event to the parent window and the shortcut manager. However, the GTK function is flawed and certain key up/down combinations are reported as "not usable", when in fact the keyboard focus is on the entry field and the space bar is hit.)

Sorry, the question was phrased bad: What I meant to ask was "why does it need to filter out important shortcuts like CTRL+S, this breaking the interface"?

Can that be changed easily back? :)