The Dark Mod Forums

Baldur's Gate - Okay To Start With 2, Skip 1?

Komag

I just got my mail and opened up the import box sets I ordered from UK - the Icewind Dale "3 In 1 Boxset" and Baldur's Gate "4 In 1 Boxset", so now I have them all!

should I play the BG series, or IWD series first? I'm leaning toward BG

Should I use the BG1Tutu deal? Are there any problems with that program? Is BG2 engine/graphics really that much better, or what would I be missing/getting? From reading their forums and stuff it seems that it works pretty good but is not perfect.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See for yourself, you have to install bg1 and 2 first before using tutu, so check them both out and you'll see for yourself the difference. For a start, you're limited to 640x480 in bg1.

I wouldn't play icewind dale at all, they're just pointless hack and slash with the barest hint of a story thrown in as an excuse to hack more monsters. Quite boring, and nowhere near the level of BG in any RPG fan's estimation. I suppsoe if you liked utter crap like dungeon siege you'll like icewind dale.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Whilst I'd agree that IWD had nowhere near as good a storyline as BG I & II or the character interaction, I would think its going a little too far to describe it as merely a hack and slash comparable to Dungeon Siege.

For starters IWD actually had dialogue for their characters, and IMO it had a better storyline than more modern games like Oblivion. True, its not as good as Baldur's Gate, but BG II could basically be the Mecca for RPGs. If it was a toss-up between IWD and the true hack'n'slash games like Dungeon Siege or Diablo? I'd pick IWD any day.

Though someone here should really play Torment and tell me what you think.

And if you want a real challenge in BG II, find the gold skeleton and put it together so you can fight the Demi-lich Kangaxx. That guy was so annoying.

If it's the Equalizer you're talking about then you can get the blacksmith in the docks area (bottom right section) to put the hilt and blade together. He makes all sorts of things, you'll find bow strings and bow shafts etc. THe Equalizer can only be used by good characters.

I'm not sure, but I think the hilt of it is in the planar dimension area in the cellar of the pub in the bridge district, but you have to find the gemstone that opens the portal - it's in a hidden area in the sewers under the temple district, where you have to rescue a bard. Dont' ask hm to join your party though, he's shit, as is Cernd the shapeshifter.

That planar area also contians the easiest and quickest to find boots of speed in the game.

You can see why yo ucna play this game quite a few times before finding all the areas, some are well hidden and require certian items or party members to get into.

You should make a warrior that's good with a flail, that 3 headed flail you get in d'arnsie keep is a great weapon, kills just about everything, even all the types of golems, plus you get an extra head for it in the ToB expansion ot make it +4.

As for IWD, I never felt I was killing anything for any psrticular reason, while in BG, you are drawn into the plot and characters, and feel the fighting is for a reaosn and it's getting you somewhere.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I also planned to get rid of this Ameon(?) knight. He talks shit all the time and seems to be quite annyoing and full of himself. But he has a good shield. :)

I think you said you have a "good" leaning party, but if you replay try the evil dwarf and magic caster duo. The magic caster is not the best but man that dwarf is one tough mother, especially fitted with magic plate armor, a magic axe or hammer, and a siege shield, hes practically impervious.

I cant remember which BG had the Drow city, but there is a way to keep your Drow armor and weapons once you emerge from the underworld. They should turn to dust in the sunlight. Before you exit the caverns, drop all your drow stuff and either put it into your pack, then take it out once outside, OR drop it inside the cavern exit, go outside, then go back in pick it up and go back out. Something like that, its been awhile. Maybe that bug was fixed by now though.

Never had that problem in the 15 or so times I've completed the game.

Surely you must have and autosave or quicksave that isn't too far back?

The game autosaves before you go down the steps into the place where the troll boss is, and you should quicksave before major battles.

THEre is a utility called Shadowkeeper which lets you open your character up in that and remove the items from your inventory that is crashing it. You wil need to make a spearate save to open in it.

Don't use it to cheat though, it really ruins the game iwhen it'stoo easy.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I have some savegames. I make a new save before every dungeon and I also save in between. Still it is annoying. At first I battled this trollchief and when I was almost finished the game crashed. After that I never managed to kill him as in the first run. And now that I managed it again, the inventory of the thief is corrupted. :(

I planned to reload the castle from scratch and do it again, but it's still very annoying.

Gerhard

There seems to be something else wrong. I loaded an older savegame and there it also crashes now. It definitely worked before, so this can not be just an inventory corruption. When I call up the thief, then the image of it, in the center of the charactersheet, is only half shown. The head is missing. I guess I have to reinstall again.

Gerhard

Not sure what's goign on there. BG has always been perfectly stable for me, in fact, I can never remember it crashing at all, and I've played it for at least 1000 hours.

Have you downloaded the lastest patch for it?

http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows_amn/support/patches/

I assume you're running it on some sort of windows emulator for linux?

- Emil Zola

character models site

Make sure you head into the sewers beneath the Copper Coronet to get the sentient sword, Lylarcor.

I dunno why, but I never got tired of that sword screamin "Boo-Yah!!" everytime I hit something with it. And you can actually converse with it; some of the conversations you can have are pretty funny.

It's in the slums of Athkatla, where all the mercenaries wait for you to hire them (like Nalia). In the German version it's called the Kupferkrone. I personally found the sword quite annoying after a short time, but it has some cool features I have to admit.

He's playing a thief anyway, so swords are useless, he's usless in a face to face fight.

FOr your warrior you're better off with the 3 headed fail of ages you got from d'arnsie keep, it's a great weapon that, cuts through everything, even golems which swords are useless against, and you can get it almost straight away in the game.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I already got the flail. Looks quite good and seems to be very effective. :) And I'm playing a mage, not a thief. The Thief is just an NPC in my party.

My thief had the catspaw boots, basically boots of stealthiness, and a poison dagger. I would send him into roms ahead and stab stuff in the back for like triple damage, then run and hide while the hit points counter marked their slow death from poison at the bottom. I even whacked an ogre mage this way once, his h.p took about five minutes to count down or something.