The Dark Mod Forums

Atdm: ?

Domarius

But this HAS been in use for at least half a year now. Is this the first time you've ever tried to do this??

The last time I edited a map, was over a YEAR ago, so yes, it is the first time I've tried to do this since the change. What can I say? My current role is as an Animator - that title hasn't required mapping anymore than Sound Designer. It's only recently I've discovered there's a discrepancy between using testModel and actually placing the entity in the map, but now I know.

I have Uni, and a day job, and I'm doing what I can. I only have 4 more weeks till the end of uni. Bear with me.

Even as an animator I would have thought that you put your models in a testmap and actually test them. I'm also a programmer, but I also map my own maps for testing purposes. It would be good practice to actually test your stuff before you upload it to CVS.

As for the A, well I also doesn't really like it. :) I think a '_' might have been nicer and worked the same, but it's not really worth to change this and now it's that way, or otherwise all the maps have to be fixed again.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

Just for the record, anything with the symbols such as : cause an error when called for in scripts (I mean entity names mind), so if you have atdm:mover_door and it's name is atdm:mover_door_12 then you must rename it for it to be able to work with map scripts. Just happened to me, so yeah. Not a problem, just the console error is "expected ";" but found ":" ", so yeah, just wanted to help someone else wondering about it for a while.

Just for the record, anything with the symbols such as : cause an error when called for in scripts (I mean entity names mind), so if you have atdm:mover_door and it's name is atdm:mover_door_12 then you must rename it for it to be able to work with map scripts. Just happened to me, so yeah. Not a problem, just the console error is "expected ";" but found ":" ", so yeah, just wanted to help someone else wondering about it for a while.

I suspect that would be an easy fix in DarkRadiant, to make sure that the autogenerated name didn't contain the colon.

I.e. create atdm:mover_door and it is named atdm_mover_door_1

That is unfortunate, and too bad we didn't know this sooner. If everyone starts using DarkRadiant insteasd of Doom3Ed we could get rid of that crap, but as-is it's the only way I can think of to group all TDM assets at the top, maintain the separate groups in DoomEd, and still be split-up-able by eye when you look at the classname. Maybe ":" could be replaced with another character?

That is unfortunate, and too bad we didn't know this sooner. If everyone starts using DarkRadiant insteasd of Doom3Ed we could get rid of that crap, but as-is it's the only way I can think of to group all TDM assets at the top, maintain the separate groups in DoomEd, and still be split-up-able by eye when you look at the classname. Maybe ":" could be replaced with another character?

Sparhawk suggested using an extra keyvalue, such as "editor_treeposition", that DarkRadiant could use to build a hierarchical tree based on inheritance relationships defined by the mapper (rather than by the entitydef code, which tends not to use much inheritance). This would allow the entity selection dialog to group entities totally independently of their name, and allow a more logical Dromed-like system of entity selection.

If this was used it could completely replace the atdm: system altogether, although it wouldn't work in DoomEdit.

I suspect that would be an easy fix in DarkRadiant, to make sure that the autogenerated name didn't contain the colon.

I.e. create atdm:mover_door and it is named atdm_mover_door_1

That would be superb :)

And those who still use DoomEd will just have to be more careful about this I guess

Yeah, the only thing you'd have to watch out for is don't replace it in the classname, just the entity name. :) I.e., do replace "name" "atdm:*" , do not replace "classname" "atdm:*"

I meant a script to bulk rename entity classes in maps following a mod-wide restructuring. The replacement of colons in unique names is already in DarkRadiant svn.

Oh, I was talking about the case where we don't have another mod-wide restructuring, but keep the colons, which keep entities in separate menus in DoomEdit, but the script is run on the map file and replaces entity names only so that mappers can use the underscore version of the name in all scripts.