The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Facing The Wrong Way

Domarius

I've realised that the Thief is facing the wrong way. You can see this in the editor (the white arrow in the 3D view), and also if you make him an entity and he tries to chase you, he runs sideways.

ascottk said he can use a -rotate 90 parmeter in the export settings, but he's never done it before.

I've already emailed oDDity for a suggestion on how to do it in Maya (that was before I knew about the parameter).

So one way or the other, we can fix it. Just wanted to get this issue down in writing somewhere.

These guys at id thought of everything :)

Not everything, I'm afraid :( Check out this thread I posted at Doom3World:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=17452

I cannot get the proper joints to export with the citywatch elite or the thief. If I specifically add the -keep option to all the joints I need in the def file, then I lose a lot of sub-meshes. If I leave out the -keep option then all of the meshes export but there are additional joints in the md5mesh that conflict with the md5anims.

They likely had the same problems and doing it this way is less timeconsuming. :)

They probably didn't think of this problem. I wish there was an exclude option to tell the exporter to leave out certain joints.

I'm thinking there's a problem with the 6.5 version of MayaImportx86.

Maybe send a PM to Oddity and see if he can help you out?

Hah! I figured it out :D Instead of adding the -keep option to the mesh, I added it to the animations. So all of my meshes are there & I can add or subtract joints from the animations to match the mesh ^_^ Now for the ultimate test . . . in-game . . .

That's perfect! Exactly what we were hoping for to get maximum flexibility from our animations. Great find, AscottK. :D

We already have a walk. I thought we were going to focus on the animations we didn't have yet?

If you don't mind, I want to see if I can do it. The walk, run, and search animations that I'm talking about are done - they just need to have the "movement" bone put in and actually placed in the game. Plus I want to see if people think they are an improvement over the existing walk and run. (The search is new)

We've had this discussion already, and I thought you were in agreement, that it is a waste of time to be redoing animations that we already have when we have somewhere in the vicinity of fifty or sixty left to be done.

Plus I want to see if people think they are an improvement over the existing walk and run. (The search is new)

Best case scenario: People like them better, and so we have slightly improved versions of three animations, without ANY new ones.

Worst case scenario: People like the old ones better, which means we have nothing new at all to show for your time spent.

The less time people have to spend on the mod, the more important it is that they do things that are really important, and redoing animations that are already working is, IMO, a trivial concern when there are so many left undone.

You don't understand - I'm not re-doing them, they're already done - I just want to put them in and see what you guys think. It's a matter of minutes.

I've got to do it anyway to get the search animation in, which we don't have yet, so once I've done that, it won't take much longer to drop in the walk and the run I made (ages ago).

You don't understand - I'm not re-doing them, they're already done - I just want to put them in and see what you guys think. It's a matter of minutes.

I've got to do it anyway to get the search animation in, which we don't have yet, so once I've done that, it won't take much longer to drop in the walk and the run I made (ages ago).

If they're any better that the builder guard's current walk, that'd be great ;) The walk from oDD's files seem to make him go in circles. Also, the proguard's walk doesn't really fit the builder guard character-wise. I used the proguard's walk anim for a temporary fix.