The Dark Mod Forums

Spyware Being Integrated In Pc Games

woah

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another note I found intriguing:

"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update. "

So you have to uninstall a critical Windows security patch in order to play :huh:

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

@ascottk - I agree. It doesn't actually say anything, its just 100% emotionally charged rehetorical crap.

@oDDity & sparhawk;

Yeah I'm excited about the game and will check it out. That prooves nothing about what you're saying :)

What if I get the demo first, or pirate it first, check it out, decide that it's crap, and then tell everyone it's not worth the risk of the spyware? Hm?

Also, if it proves to be harmful, then I'll never play it even if I do like it. Like TrackMania Sunrise, as much as I love it, has proven to destroy my brother's DVD drive with it's StarForce copy protection, and when it's installed, prevent me from watching or burning DVDs.

Maybe I lost out on one game, but do you think after the huge fiasco where even a major game company backed down and removed StarForce, that the StarForce company will ever get another game under their belt? I don't think so.

But, if the advertising software is there, and I don't notice it, then it may as well one of the germs on my skin that are "potentially bad" but don't actually do anything to me, and not worth fussing about.

The game industry probably needs to resort to this sort of thing because of all the pirates anyway.

@Vadrosaul - Well, it looks like it's going down the road of StarForce. NOT off to a good start by the looks of things!! If I get that crash I won't even pursue it further. Not after that shit with StarForce.

@oDDity & sparhawk;

Yeah I'm excited about the game and will check it out. That prooves nothing about what you're saying :)

Sure it does. It prooves that you are rather accepting their terms then waive it and make a statement.

What if I get the demo first, or pirate it first, check it out, decide that it's crap, and then tell everyone it's not worth the risk of the spyware? Hm?

Well you will not do it. Or rather, you might do it if teh game is really crap, but that's about it. And as Sneaksie said, pirating it, is, in such a case, the same message then buying it. Simply because then EA will get the message that people accepted their terms, but the copyprotection was to weak. If people don't buy and don't even steal it, THEN it tells a proper tale.

Maybe I lost out on one game, but do you think after the huge fiasco where even a major game company backed down and removed StarForce, that the StarForce company will ever get another game under their belt? I don't think so.

But it didn't back down because the players all kept playing the game. the backed down because the users started to complain in massive numbers, and this will not happen here.

Gerhard

Another note I found intriguing:

"Players who have the Windows security update KB917422 installed may suffer from an application error when running Battlefield 2142. This error can be solved by uninstalling the KB917422 update. "

So you have to uninstall a critical Windows security patch in order to play :huh:

Haha, that's awesome! Especially if you know what this hotfix is about:

MS06-051: Vulnerability in the Windows kernel could result in remote code execution

Sure it does. It prooves that you are rather accepting their terms then waive it and make a statement.

Well you will not do it. Or rather, you might do it if teh game is really crap, but that's about it. And as Sneaksie said, pirating it, is, in such a case, the same message then buying it. Simply because then EA will get the message that people accepted their terms, but the copyprotection was to weak. If people don't buy and don't even steal it, THEN it tells a proper tale.

I disagree, for the same reason as you described below;
the backed down because the users started to complain in massive numbers, and this will not happen here.
Oh yes it will, if it fucks with peoples computers as much as StarForce did, which is my original point. And it looks like it just might do that.

You don't want it only if it's not a nuisance. I don't want it because of the principle. I pay for the software and that should be enough. I don't want to get swamped with cheesy commercials. There are enough around in TV, radio, magazines, everywhere and if you don't take care they would even plaster it on your glasses just to make sure that you really see it.

Gerhard

American Cartoon Network shows these days are running at roughly twelve minutes while the rest is made up of commercials in a half hour block. I really wouldn't even bother paying for cable.

Edited by Ombrenuit

Advertsing aimed at kids is particualry annoying. THe amount of crap my sister's kids see advertised while watching cartoon channels is ridicuoous - and then they spend the rest fo the week begging their parents to buy it for them.

They literally have a whole room stuffed full of toys which they never even look at. THere must bey £10,000 worth of toys in there.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

That's why we stopped buying. I always told my wife that it doesn't make sense, because she always bought them little "surprises". The negative effect is that they have to much to play with and everything is boring. It really is true. If you don't have so much choices you make use of what is there, and this enhances creativity much more, then to much choice. Since about one and a half year now she stopped doing this. And the positive effect is also that the kids are much more happier when they get somehting. Before it was expected as their due and there was not really any surprise anymore because they demanded it.

Gerhard

Of course, kids don't need any toys at all to have fun. A ball maybe but that's about it. Kids where I live seem to spend 90% of their time kicking a football around.

THe problem is that if some of their friends gets a certain toy, then they have to have it as well, or they feel left out.

When no one has any toys it doesn't matter, everyone is the same, but as soon as one kid's parents get him the latest cool thing, then it upsets the balance, and other kids go crazy wanting it as well.

THe latest fad around here is a mini trampoline that every one has to have. I see them everywhere now, before it was the mini moto, which are minature motorcycles, but actually work like a real bike.

It's just the problem with living in a consumer society. Kids grow up wiht the idea that having a lot of possesions is good, makes them a better person with higher status than people who dont' have stuff.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

We also have this trampolin. We bought it several years ago because it was in the bin and didn't cost much. The kids even use it from time to time, so it's ok to have it. :)

But I hate to spend money on toys where I know that they wont really be used. For example when we went shoopping last year my kids saw a robot with a remote control, that could do a lot of things. The kids wanted to have it and I said no. It cost about 200 Euro, and I know that they will not play with it. Most such mechanical toys are only interesting for a few days and 200 Euro is to expensive for such a short live. My wife bought it for christmas without me knowing and they were excited. And guess what happened after a few days...

Gerhard

Even a restriction that stopped you being creative would make you more creative. It takes a shitload of creativity to think up ways to be creative wihtout actually being creative.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Thanks for that link ascottk.

Found this video via there, it's good listening. At least there's one sane media voice around:

http://spikedhumor.com/articles/60861/Olbe...eas_Corpus.html

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I myself have been boycotting EA games for years, the last one I ever bought was Freedom Fighters for PC. (An outstanding game by the way)

Even though I kinda wanted to play BF2 and this one, there's no chance I'll buy them due to it being an EA release, especialyl with this much shit forced onto the product.

(Though if Freedom Fighters II ever comes out, damn, I will be tempted)

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!