The Dark Mod Forums

Beyondgamer's Application Thread

New Horizon

I would like to welcome my friend, beyondGAMER (Phil), to our humble forums. He is a man of many talents, but I'll step aside and let him introduce himself and have a general word about what he would like to offer the mod. :)

This is a brief sampling of some of his older work, but he hopes to have new examples for us in the next week or so.

post-3-1161182246_thumb.jpg

post-3-1161182265_thumb.jpg

post-3-1161182320_thumb.jpg

Here is a video sample of some walk/ run cycle animation he did for a Half Life mod a couple of years ago. The frame rate has been slowed down.

http://www.philmacnevin.com/Invisible%20Ma...alk%20Cycle.mov

Hey everybody,

I hope you like some of my work. I'm currently working on updating my portfolio and hoping to have something online for you to look at in the next day or so, as well as working on some new work (like an updated version of The Invisible Man, and some other cool 3D models).

My skill set includes 3D Modeling, Animation, Human Animation, Texturing, Dynamic Effects, Motion Graphics, Interface Design, Web Design, Video Editing & Post Production, Print Design, and much more.

I currently work in the television industry and as a web designer, but I'm hoping to break into the video game and animation industries and I think this is an excellent place to get my feet wet. New Horizon is a good pal of mine, and we go way back, don't we? lol.

I work mostly with Maya, Photoshop, Motion, After Effects, and Final Cut, but if I need to learn something new, I'm always up for it.

Look forward to hearing from you and lending a hand in the project!

New Horizon is a good pal of mine, and we go way back, don't we? lol.

We do indeed. :) Must be a good ten years now.

beyondGAMER and I acted together for quite some time, we worked together in the musicals Grease, The Wartime Radio Show...and he was also the drummer in our band Black Suit. :)

Couldn't download the movies, as the site seems to be to busy, but the images look great. :)

From what I've been told you want to do your own company, or just improving your resume? You should be aware that we are doing a free mod, so your assets can be basically reused by (almost) everybody for free. Just want to mention it, though I'm sure NH already told you about our work anyway. :)

We could definitely need some help with human models, so if you can do this, it would be great.

Gerhard

Yep, your skill set sounds like exactly what we need and NH has spoken highly of you. :)

From what you mentioned, your modeling and animating skills would be the most valuable. Do you have any experience modeling human characters? That, along with animating said characters, is what we can use the most right now.

Yeah it's been a while, but I can model and animate human characters. For the mod I worked on for half-life, I modeled an animated approximately 10 or so different characters, some original, some from other licensed materials (like the Invisible Man here).

To answer sparhawk's question, I want to start up my own indie company as well as spruce up my resume...more so of the latter. I realize it's a free mod, and what the effort I put in is free for all to enjoy :) . The big thing is for me to gain the experience, have something to show potential employers later, and of course to contribute to a great project like Dark Mod :D

As it is right now, I'm currently upping the ante and working on being able to create hyper-realistic humanoid characters, which could be very useful in cinematic sequences, if that is part of the project.

Well, that sounds great. It's customary to start people out with a small contributor task before assigning them full membership, so even though that's probably a formality here....

We're currently working on a flexible system to attach different headgear to AI heads in order to increase the variety of our AI appearance. We could use some more medieval hat/helmet models for that purpose.

The models should be sized to fit with the existing D3 heads (the head_player is a good reference). They need to be modeled from all sides so that they could exist as stand-alone prop models as well.

Pick whatever interests you from the following:

Reference pics (hats):

http://www.globaleffects.com/C_pages/Renta...hcHat514_hi.jpg

http://www.excaliburleather.com/catalog/images/Rhhat27.jpg

Reference pics (helmets):

http://erif.org/3dmodels/images/helmet_roundtop.png

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/calderon/image343.gif

To answer sparhawk's question, I want to start up my own indie company as well as spruce up my resume...more so of the latter. I realize it's a free mod, and what the effort I put in is free for all to enjoy :) . The big thing is for me to gain the experience, have something to show potential employers later, and of course to contribute to a great project like Dark Mod :D

What kind of indy? I registered an Indy engine for a similar purpose but haven't done much at the moment because I also want to finish this mod. Do you have ideas for a game already?

As it is right now, I'm currently upping the ante and working on being able to create hyper-realistic humanoid characters, which could be very useful in cinematic sequences, if that is part of the project.

That's cool. Since Doom 3 uses normalmaps you can model as highpoly as you want to create the normalmap from but you probably know this anyway. :)

Gerhard

What kind of indy? I registered an Indy engine for a similar purpose but haven't done much at the moment because I also want to finish this mod. Do you have ideas for a game already?

Yeah, I've actually got quite a few ideas for games. My wife and I are both authors in our spare time (when we actually get any, ;) ), so we're always coming up with stories that can easily be translated into a game. I must have at least 10 - 15 ideas I could run with, but I'm only working on one of them right now, it's targeted at the casual market because I'm hoping to one day market it on Xbox Live Arcade.

If things start taking off, I'll definitely be looking for collaborators, it's hard to run a game development company by myself ;)

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot and update you when it's ready.

I'm interesting in getting into indie gamedev myself actually... I've got one game nearly done and half a dozen more ideas on the way. Should be fun, once I get enough time to start on it (only a few more weeks now!) :)

Domarius - Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :D

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 2 weeks later...