Solis' (new) Thread

Springheel

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I spent a pretty long time on the death animation, I might even go back to tweak it a little later for other types of characters or motions after I get the running animations done.

And for some reason the first link doesn't work when you click on it, but when you right-click and save target as, it seems to download fine...odd, well try that.

Oh, and no, these aren't on SVN yet, I still have to have my access set up for it and I'd need to post the Motionbuilder files anyway as I don't have the updated skeleton to convert it to an md5anim that's compatible with our current models.

Run forward, defensive (weapon out, arm up to protect face from arrows)

Hey with this one (I know it's an old post) but there might be an advantage to using the channel system - the legs runing should be pretty much the same, it should only be the upper torso that has to change, which is good because that's a seperate anim channel. I think at the very least, there would be no jump in the legs changing from one anim to another in mid stride.

• 4 weeks later...

Has it really been nearly a month? Bah, I need to get off my lazy butt and do more...anymore animation assignements that need to be done? Are those latest 3 being done by Domarius or are they open to anyone?

Anyway, I've almost completed the runcycle that I'll use for the civie run/shielding face animation. I can also modify it for any other running animations we might need. I've included a zip with 3 different views of it (a normal one, one in slow-mo, and another of running in place). Should make it easier to get a feel for what it looks like (as with before, ignore the trailing polygons behind him as he moves forward since it won't show up on the actual animation):

http://www.geocities.com/canisinvicti/Run.zip

It's still a little rough in some parts, I'm considering just scrapping the hip motions and redoing them since the movement is a little eratic for the upper body at some points. And for some reason it seems like he should be running at a faster rate for as quick as he's moving his legs, so I might increase the movement speed a bit (although it also depends on just how fast we want him to be able to run in the game). Also I still need to tweak the arm movements a bit. Otherwise, I think it's good enough for now.

Looking good. :)

anymore animation assignements that need to be done?

How are you coming on this list?

Run away, male/female (panic, no weapon--help meeee!)

This is for civilians who are scared, or for anyone who is panicking because they are hurt. Their weapons have been dropped and they are running for their lives.

Hands up, shrug (how was I supposed to know?)

generic conversation hand movements (so, I was walking down the street one day...)

Death Animation

Only the first half of the animation, ragdoll will take care of the actual collapse to the ground. AI could grab their chest, or sink to their knees, or stagger forward a step or two.

The hands up/generic convo/death animations are done (just need to tweak the death animation now that I know how to tweak the "floor" pane), the run away animation will be based on the normal running animation. Probably something sort of like this, with the arms out farther than normal:

http://www.geocities.com/canisinvicti/runscared.avi

And a back shot (since you'd probably be seeing them running away from behind)

http://www.geocities.com/canisinvicti/runscaredback.avi

Well, if you're looking for more to do, I think we can probably shift some of Doug's over to you, since I haven't heard anything from him in a while.

Rock back and forth on heels (idle only)

based on standing idle pose

Hold out hands (to warm them from a fire or candle)

holding hands palm outwards towards a source of heat (assume table-height), rub hands together.

http://www.nortetrekking.com/images/Warm-Hands-and-Fede1.jpg

shivering from cold

cross arms and rub them from the cold, hunch shoulders, then blow into hands to warm them

http://lloydi.com/travel-writing/sydney200...-at-the-gap.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello. Sorry for giving another "update without a real update", but I thought I might as well post to confirm that I am still working on animations, or at least will be again soon. I've been having a few computer problems over the past few weeks and have been working to diagnose/fix what I can. Don't worry, all my Dark Mod stuff is backed up so nothing is lost, and finals just got over this week so now I'll have more time to spend on animating, once my computer is back up to fully working status (right now it's only running on half the RAM it normally would be).

If Doug hasn't given any objections yet, I'll work on his animations once I finish up my running loops, and hopefully have a big batch to upload in a few weeks. Once that's done I can move on to something else.

Oh, and out of curiosity, do we have an updated motionbuilder model that's rigged for the newer skeletons we're using instead of needing to convert them first?

I don't know if you are aware of this, but we setup several repositories for intermediate files. I also use this for storing my data on the server, because this way there is a distribution of files, which makes it much harder to destroy it in case of a single event. The server also creates daily backups, so the chances that your work is lost is much slimmer if you use it for this.

Gerhard

If Doug hasn't given any objections yet, I'll work on his animations once I finish up my running loops, and hopefully have a big batch to upload in a few weeks. Once that's done I can move on to something else.

I'm not sure Doug is around at all. He hasn't posted in some time.

edit: Yeah, he hasn't logged on for a month, and hasn't posted since Feb 25th. I think he's probably gone, so anyone that wants to claim his tasks, feel free. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, here's the files for several of the animations I was working on. Included are:

Conversation/chatting

Shrug

Running while guarding face

Running scared

Warming hands

Shivering in the cold (probably going to update this one in the future, however)

I'm not including the death animation yet as I still have to take care of the oddly raised floor issue...for some reason even though I followed the instructions Domarious (sp?) mentioned in the other topic, I can't actually see the floor plain, and I did manage to disable the foot orientation with it but then for some reason it limits where I can move the foot. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

I zipped up all the FBX files rather than making videos and links to each one, and then they can be converted to whatever they need so that they fit on our current skeletons. Oh, and note that I didn't run that animation/plot all command on them yet so that might need to be done too. Unfortunately the zip is a little big for geocities so I had to resort to *sigh* sendspace. Here's the link to it, password on the files is "darkmod":

http://www.sendspace.com/file/oqq4uc

And yeah...I'll get around to figuring out how and where to upload these to the FTP at some point, for now this is just temporary (need to finish up the animations anyway).