The Dark Mod Forums

Soundrequest Lockpicking

sparhawk

We need some sounds for the lockpicking. The sfx must be between 1 and 3(?) seconds and they should not loop. They also should have no big silence at the begin or the end, so we have better control with the code as we do the delay ourselve.

I think we should have at least 10 different patterns, so we can choose randomly (the more the better).

Anyone up for the task?

Gerhard

Yo Spar, the Hollywood soundbank seems to have just what you're looking for.

In it there are these sounds which sound pretty much just right for lockpick noises. They're very generic and thus safe to use.

97a - The club: Unlocking a steering wheel lock and movement.  (:04)

97b - The club: Unlocking a steering wheel lock and movement.  (:05)

98a - The Club lock: Locking a steering wheel lock.  (:05)

98b - The Club lock: Locking a steering wheel lock.  (:05)

98c - The Club lock: Locking a steering wheel lock.  (:04)

99a - The Club lock: Unlocking a steering wheel lock.  (:03)

99b - The Club lock: Unlocking a steering wheel lock.  (:04)

I'll go through the whole pack and find if there are any other useful ones

I can't check those out at the moment, but we need to make sure there are a limited number of unique 'clicks'. Each click has to be associated with a unique 'jiggle' from the door handle, and there are a limited number of ways the handle can move. I think three or four 'click' sounds are probably the most we would use, and they would then be repeated in a random pattern of some sort, almost like morse code. Like:

click-click, clack, clunk (for a very simple lock)

clack, click, click-click, clunk, clack-clack (for a more complex lock)

etc.

What's the hollywood soundbank? I'll check those out and see if they'll work.

edit: nm, just saw the other post.

Building the patterns out of uniquie clicks is IMO not a good idea. I would have to think how to code this and it gets much more complex with it. I also wonder how many different kind of clicks we can get, but in that case we should have at least ten of them to choose from. Would provide more challenge IMO. :)

Gerhard

I don't mean building them out of unique clicks...each pattern would be an individual sound file that is just selected by the code and then looped until the player succeeds at it.

10 distinct types of click is too many though, because each click needs to have a corresponding visual cue as well, and I don't think there are ten different ways to jiggle a door handle. :)

Just like morse code, we can vary the frequency of the clicking as well, so we don't need an overwhelming number of unique clicks.

I posted some examples long ago, I'll see if I can find them.

Packing up the click noises now and then uploading.

I'll also put all the lists of sounds into the soundbank thread so that everyone can check what's in it and request them, cos uploading 5gb of sounds is not exactly ideal.

Ok, it's almost up. 4mb. The link:

HollywoodEdgeSoundbank.zip

I'll post again when it's finished. There's about 15 or so sounds there, all clicky and stuff. I also put the track listing there, so you should look into that to find out what sound is which, or you can simply listen to them :)

EDIT: It's up, have fun :)

When we do get real sounds to replace the placeholder ones we can't legally use, if we want to make the sounds compatible with the later "advanced lockpicking" system feedback sounds, we'll need sounds that vaguely sound like:

1. metal pick tip sliding over a normal, springy pin (to clarify, I mean like a soft impact sound as you hit the front/back of the pin and slide across, it should be a very short sound, more like a *tic* than *grinnnnnnnd*) We'll probably want a few variations of this sound.

2. pick sliding over a bound pin (this will have less give / be less springy than a normal pin, maybe more scraping sound?)

3. pick sliding over a set pin (this will have more give to it, not sure how to represent that in sounds, maybe a looser double impact sound, as if the pin slides up and down easily)

Then we need sounds for the pick staying in one place, but probing the pins. So we'd need pick probing normal pin, bound pin, set pin. Maybe these could re-use the same sounds, I dunno.

4. Pin setting, this will be an excagerrated, satisfying click