The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant Newbie Questions

Don't hold your breath on this, I haven't even started! :) Some time may pass till I can look into this and maybe this turns out to be harder than I estimate it to be. If Orbweaver agrees on such a feature to be important we can put it on the DarkRadiant ToDo-List, don't know if it will make it into a pre-1.0 version though.

I am quite happy for it to go on the list if you think you can implement it, although I doubt it will be pre-1.0 unless it turns out to be trivial.

I don't think it should be a separate tool however, from a UI point of view the "correct" behaviour is for drag-resizing to perform a 2d proportional scale of arbitrary brushes, just like resizing a complex shape in a 2D drawing app.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there Reload Models button in DR somewhere? It would be very handy to have it instead of old Dromed times method of reloading - "exit and reopen"...

BTW: Each time I open DR I'm getting this error message:

Unable to parse DEF file: weapon_lantern.def

DefTokeniser: Assertion failed

Required "{", found "skin"

Looks like small problem, but as it's not my area I prefer not to touch it... Especially that writing those declarations makes me mad! I really hate it. I'm nearly commiting all my models to CVS but I'm getting closer to committing... suicide instead...! I wasted so much time staring at those f**** material and skin declarations looking for small letter mistakes....

Somebody mentioned in DR Wishlist thread some editor for materials and such - this idea definitely has my vote!

Is there Reload Models button in DR somewhere? It would be very handy to have it instead of old Dromed times method of reloading - "exit and reopen"...

There is a "reload models" tool, it can be found in the File menu. I just tested it and it looks like it's working... :)

There is a "reload models" tool, it can be found in the File menu. I just tested it and it looks like it's working...

Yes, I know - but it's actually Refresh Models tool and it does't load newly added models...

(the same is with skins and materials...)

Actually it would be cool to add possibility of writing commands in Console window to DR, as it is in DE... This way I could ReloadModels via console...

DoomEdit only has the console because it's actually part of Doom. DR could implement a console, but it wouldn't bear any relation to the D3 console, so it would be pretty pointless when you could just stick the command on an existing menu.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The DEF parse failure you are getting arises in the latest CVS because somebody has put some skin declarations in one of the DEF files. I am not sure if this was accidental or serves some purpose, but DarkRadiant cannot load skin declarations from DEF files.

I didn't know there was a Refresh Models command, I will have to check to see what it does and whether it can be extended to reload new models as well.

I suppose this must have been asked already by somebody else, but what does Shader Missing texture actually means? I was able to see my models in DR with right textures but now I got that texture everywhere. Well, nearly everywhere - some models are displayed correctly.

All material declarations are OK, cause they work fine in game.

The DEF parse failure you are getting (...)

After updating DR it's not an issue anymore - it used to be poped up window (which stopped initializing DR until I clicked button) but now it's just info in that black window and doesn't stop initializing DR.

I suppose this must have been asked already by somebody else, but what does Shader Missing texture actually means? I was able to see my models in DR with right textures but now I got that texture everywhere. Well, nearly everywhere - some models are displayed correctly.

There was a bug fixed recently that involve material declarations failing to parse if they contained certain structures which were previously only used in vanilla Doom 3 but have recently been added to the mod assets. It is possible that what you are seeing could be a result of this. I guess if this is the case, we should release a bugfix version ASAP even if there are still some features to go before a "proper" 0.8.0.

Is it your own materials/models that are not displayed, or standard mod ones?

Is it your own materials/models that are not displayed, or standard mod ones?

Most of mod's materials are OK but some of them are not displayed correctly. And not all of mine are faulty... - I don't really know what's the rule...

Could somebody check graveyard models if their textures display correctly in DR? None of them are OK. And I've noticed that it changes in time which textures are displayed or not. Some of those which had Shader Missing yesterday are displayed correctly today but some of those which were OK, have that Shader Missing thing now... Can it be memory management problem...? (I mean some textures are not loaded up in DR....?)

I checked a few of them, and they show up fine in the latest SVN build. I suspect that you may be hitting the texture parsing bug in 0.7.1

@greebo: do you think we will be in a position to release 0.8.0 this weekend? I am not aware of any outstanding bugs that would block a release, and the fix for this texture bug is kind of important.

Well, I have some smaller issues regarding the keyboard handler on my list (the ESC key is not propagated to the keyboard handler when the entity inspector is focused, for instance), but in principle the version is ready to go. The more people work with DarkRadiant, the more bugs will be discovored as well, which in turn is good for us.

How much work does the compiling of a new release imply for you?

Well, I have some smaller issues regarding the keyboard handler on my list (the ESC key is not propagated to the keyboard handler when the entity inspector is focused, for instance), but in principle the version is ready to go. The more people work with DarkRadiant, the more bugs will be discovored as well, which in turn is good for us.

OK -- I'm presuming those issues don't have a large user impact at the moment?

How much work does the compiling of a new release imply for you?

Not too much, I just have to build on Windows, do some testing (ideally I would have a proper regression test plan, but at the moment I just load a few maps and inspect visually), then compile the installer and upload to SourceForge.

I checked a few of them, and they show up fine in the latest SVN build. I suspect that you may be hitting the texture parsing bug in 0.7.1

So 0.8.0 release is going to be free of this bug? That's great, thanks! I'm looking forward to new release! :)

In the next version the Model Preview is integrated with the new filter system, which allows you to turn off collision textures (or anything else you want to filter out).

Orb - did your answer relate to ver. 0.7.0 or 0.8.0? At this moment filtering Collision Meshes works perfectly for brushes, but not for models.

Orb - did your answer relate to ver. 0.7.0 or 0.8.0? At this moment filtering Collision Meshes works perfectly for brushes, but not for models.

It should work in the Model Selector, but it doesn't work in game. This is a known issue that needs addressing, but isn't fixed yet.

Another thing - sometimes while free models in two axes models which were previously rotated using that 90 deg. rotation button, rotation reverts back to 90 degree. I mean - all changes done with free rotating tool become canceled.

Any idea about that?

Also - is there a way to rotate group of selected models according to one shared point, instead of separate points for every model?

I know the first one, I think this is a bug, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's a consequence of the maths, but at least I think it should be fix-able.

Concerning the group rotation of models: that's not possible with the current system. I don't believe there is an easy way to do so as well, but it's always possible to look into it.

I know the first one, I think this is a bug, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's a consequence of the maths, but at least I think it should be fix-able.

OK, thanks! Great to hear that.

BTW: do you know already when can we expect new release?

OK, thanks! Great to hear that.

BTW: do you know already when can we expect new release?

At the moment we are investigating a critical release-blocking bug which causes large maps to disappear after loading. You may have noticed this if you try to load mansion_alpha.map or askave.map.

No idea how long this will take, the first stage is to implement sufficient diagnostic functionality so that I can even tell where the problem is happening.

• 5 months later...

Is this intentional: when I Select Touching I get selected even items, which are filtered out? I'd expect them to not be selected - that's why I made them invisible...