The Dark Mod Forums

New Sfx For Testing

ascottk

After getting myself better configured for sound I decided to make some sfx of my own. Inside the zip are a few ogg files & they will replace human_tile*.ogg & arrow_noisemaker_active.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Sounds/as...eakedsounds.zip

Just extract to the main darkmod directory.

EDIT: Oops The noisemaker is in stereo, it needs to be mono . . . hold on . . .

EDIT2: Okay, mono noisemaker is up :blush:

Human tile sounds great, I'm eager to hear how it sounds ingame!

The noisemaker sounds more mechanical now, and I like the rhythm of the sound, but to me it sounds like it need a little more "oomph" to justify being heard from a few rooms away. It's hard to explain what I mean, not knowing much about sounds, but maybe it's just a matter of turning up the low frequency components, or making the sound more percussive somehow?

The tile is a definite improvement...I think you should go ahead and upload those. I'm not sure I like the new noisemaker any better or worse than the old one.

Human tile sounds great, I'm eager to hear how it sounds ingame!

The noisemaker sounds more mechanical now, and I like the rhythm of the sound, but to me it sounds like it need a little more "oomph" to justify being heard from a few rooms away. It's hard to explain what I mean, not knowing much about sounds, but maybe it's just a matter of turning up the low frequency components, or making the sound more percussive somehow?

I see what you mean about the noise maker so I copied it, transposed the copy down an octave, mixed in with the original, then added a compressor to it. It's a lot more meaty now :)

The tile is a definite improvement...I think you should go ahead and upload those. I'm not sure I like the new noisemaker any better or worse than the old one.

They are going up & away! Coming soon to a cvs near you . . .

The footsteps are awesome.

I'm curious to hear the different cut on the noisemaker arrow. I liked the original you posted, but definitely agree it neede the extra "oomph" to make it more believable.

Great job!

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

One thing I noticed about the sounds in game is that an additional step is played after you stop moving, which I don't think happened before.

Also, the sounds seem to play rather quickly, as if the player is trotting rather than walking--don't know if that has anything to do with these particular sounds though, as it may also have happened before.

One thing I noticed about the sounds in game is that an additional step is played after you stop moving, which I don't think happened before.
The other steps do it too. It guess it depends on where the animations are. If you think about it, if your foot is still raised when you intended to stop then there'll be a delayed step.

Also, the sounds seem to play rather quickly, as if the player is trotting rather than walking--don't know if that has anything to do with these particular sounds though, as it may also have happened before.
Yeah, I'm puzzled about that one. I just tried a few things:

- Run then walk: the walking steps are faster.

- Creep then walk: the walking steps are the way they should be.

There's a few other strange things that happen when changing from running/walking/creeping to another state.

The creep state relies on some 'experimental' code to halve the play speed of the walking animation. It only works in a limited manner, halving the speed, but then it loops too soon (it loops when the original, non-slowed down animation was supposed to loop instead of twice as later when the slowed down animation should loop). I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit screwy for that reason.

I didn't want to put a lot of effort into fixing that, since this was supposed to be a temporary solution until we got the thief player model ingame with a real creep animation.

As for the run than walk issue, I haven't heard that before, but it's possible that the script controlling the walk states is bugged in that situation. You can maybe get a better idea of what's going on by looking at the 3rd person animations while these things are happening.

The creep state relies on some 'experimental' code to halve the play speed of the walking animation. It only works in a limited manner, halving the speed, but then it loops too soon (it loops when the original, non-slowed down animation was supposed to loop instead of twice as later when the slowed down animation should loop). I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit screwy for that reason.

I didn't want to put a lot of effort into fixing that, since this was supposed to be a temporary solution until we got the thief player model ingame with a real creep animation.

As for the run than walk issue, I haven't heard that before, but it's possible that the script controlling the walk states is bugged in that situation. You can maybe get a better idea of what's going on by looking at the 3rd person animations while these things are happening.

I'm starting to think this is related to the stuck leans. For some reason the animation blending gets stuck so the last animation is looped. They can't quite make it to the next animation until you go to the extreme opposite (run to creep, creep to run).

I don't like the new noisemaker as much, but like that it's kind've mechanical.

I made the mistake of giving the old noisemaker an echo (not really a mistake... kind've a by-product of the process), so I know we'd need a new one eventually anyways. If I were to re-do my noisemaker, I'd add a mechanical winding at the beginning and wind-down at the end, eliminate the echo and tinker with the sound it eminates. I prefer the knocking sound in the old more than less meaty ticking new, but that's personal taste. I was trying to reproduce the sound one might hear with my noisemaker concept (Post #56)

I could grow fond of any mechanical noisemaker because it'd be 1000x better than 4th of July firecrackers popping (T3), imo.

I don't like the new noisemaker as much, but like that it's kind've mechanical.
After I somewhat redesigned the noisemaker model I didn't think the old noisemaker sound fit. So this sound was designed with the model in mind.

I made the mistake of giving the old noisemaker an echo (not really a mistake... kind've a by-product of the process), so I know we'd need a new one eventually anyways. If I were to re-do my noisemaker, I'd add a mechanical winding at the beginning and wind-down at the end, eliminate the echo and tinker with the sound it eminates. I prefer the knocking sound in the old more than less meaty ticking new, but that's personal taste. I was trying to reproduce the sound one might hear with my noisemaker concept (Post #56)
That's an awesome design! I somehow missed that one when looking through the forum.

I could grow fond of any mechanical noisemaker because it'd be 1000x better than 4th of July firecrackers popping (T3), imo.
That was irritating <_<

______

In other news I made some more sounds:

splash_long_01, splash_subtle_01 although I'm still getting a beep when entering water.

& human_wood**

they'll be on cvs soon

In other news I made some more sounds:

splash_long_01, splash_subtle_01 although I'm still getting a beep when entering water.

& human_wood**

they'll be on cvs soon

You're getting that beep with water too? I get it right after firing a water arrow. It's driving me crazy. I reported it months ago, but nobody else was having it.

No offense, but I liked the old wood footstep sounds better than the new ones.

The new ones have too much reverb IMO, it sounds like you're walking in a confined space with stone walls or something. Since reverb will be done by the mapper on a per-room basis, it's better to leave it out of the footstep sounds and let the mapper set up reverb environments in confined stoned spaces, for example. The old ones sounded just right to me.

No offense, but I liked the old wood footstep sounds better than the new ones.

The new ones have too much reverb IMO, it sounds like you're walking in a confined space with stone walls or something. Since reverb will be done by the mapper on a per-room basis, it's better to leave it out of the footstep sounds and let the mapper set up reverb environments in confined stoned spaces, for example. The old ones sounded just right to me.

I thought the sounds were pretty dry :huh: Well, so far your the only one commenting on them. Just in case though, how do you overwrite the new ones with cvs (specifically tortoise)?

I thought the sounds were pretty dry :huh: Well, so far your the only one commenting on them. Just in case though, how do you overwrite the new ones with cvs (specifically tortoise)?

I don't know how in tortoise, only WinCVS. You have to update them with the revision tag set to an earlier revision (probably the current revision -1 for the wood sounds), and then it will overwrite the new sounds with the old ones (so you'll want to back up the new ones to keep them). We might as well put both on CVS for comparison.

Yeah, I understand waiting to see what others think. Personally I thought the old ones were fine for normal wood footsteps in a wide open environment. The reverb can be added in by the room's reverb environment.

I haven't tried the new ones yet, but I don't think we should get rid of any footstep sounds unless there is something wrong with them (like the previous tile ones). Better to have a longer list to choose from randomly.

Yes, please don't overwrite sounds without posting the new ones here first. In general, don't overwrite non-placeholders without getting at least some feedback first. Feel free to do whatever you want with stuff that is labeled as placeholders; consult the sfx design document. (For instance, some decent metal footsteps would be nice :) )

I have copies of all the original sounds if they are needed. I don't have the mod or cvs here, but I can upload them or send them to someone if you can't figure out how to restore stuff from cvs.

Oh and yes, Ishtvan is quite right about reverb, don't use too much of it in your sfx, since we'll be using the game engine for that. Ambients, on the other hand, are not affected by this (I hope?)

(Good job on the tile sounds btw, sounds great)

Ambients, on the other hand, are not affected by [reverb] (I hope?)

I hope so too. :) I think if they are played on the separate sound channel reserved for music, they won't be effected, but I'd have to check. Actually, we can look at what Id did in the D3 maps, since in the latest patch they had both reverb environments and music.

Oh and yes, Ishtvan is quite right about reverb, don't use too much of it in your sfx, since we'll be using the game engine for that. Ambients, on the other hand, are not affected by this (I hope?)

(Good job on the tile sounds btw, sounds great)

I never used reverb on those samples & I certainly don't hear it. It might be some scraping on the wood you're hearing.