The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod_texture Pack 0.02 On It's Way Up

Renzatic

44 megs of textures (25 meg rared), 2 maps, a materials file, and a readme are on it's way to the server as I speak.

I also just figured out that you can compress the color info textures as jpegs (but not the normalmaps or speculars) so the next release should be a little more compact.

It's up...grab it here

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/Textures/...od_Textures.rar

Edited by Renzatic

Also just finished up the geometry in my little bedroom mockup.

Shot 1

Shot 2

Shot 3

Shot 4

lol, I've been going at a breakneck pace these last few, I think I'm gonna take a couple of days off and finally get some sleep in. ;)

Oh yeah, the lamps use an Id texture. Cuz I can't do specular maps yet I had to dig up one of theirs to get something appropriately shiny.

Edited by Renzatic

Specular maps are easy.

My mini-specular tutorial.

Go back to your diffuse (colour) map. Desaturate it (greyscale). Use brightness/contrast to alter the shininess and lack of shininess (black = matte, white = very shiny), dependant on the material. Black out, add in manually any extra bits you want especially shiny/matte.

Then save it with the suffix _s and add the line

"specularmap doom3/base/textures/blahblah"

to the material definition.

Right. That was my firs thought when I looked at this screenshots. They look exactly as I expect it from a room in the Thief universe. :) Not something like T3 but something REALLY Thief like. :)

Great work.

Yeah, you're totally right. When I first saw it I thought....THIS is how Thief 3 should have looked. You can see the relationship with Thief 1 and 2, but it's still light years ahead of either of them. :) It's consistent with the Universe. More and more I am convinced we can do this. I have a lot of friends who are professional actors in theatre, they'll be providing the characters for the voice sets! :) Can't wait to get started on those.

I know what you mean. I mean, I have never played Thief 3 YET (still trying to get my upgrade) but from the screen shots, it doesn't look like the original games the way Renzatic's and BlackThief's work (in Renzatic's screenshots) look.

I'm still trying to work out why this is. One thing that popped into my head is that it actually looks more angular than Thief 3, so it looks a bit older, like the old Thief 2 and 1? But looking at some of the indoors screenshots, Renzatic's room is just lacking the other details and bump/specular mapping that make the room feel more "rounded".

I think it's the colour palette. Renzatic's screenshots feel very warm, very fiery and orange. The Thief 3 screenshots, while still cool and thiefy, seem more "over-cast grey", even indoors where the torches are.

I'm sure these texture artists know this kind of thing already, but I'm going to make a texture palette mention in the "Targets" thread.

Renz: Nice as your room is, and 1337 though your skillz be, there are some problems. Did you test the map in game mode? You can't have done, seeing as it is not buildable in it's current state. Even though I added an end wall, it still 'leaked', because the other walls were too thin. Make them thicker. And no gaps.

Also, the scale is a bit off, as seen here:

scale.jpg

I know walk-in fireplaces might be considered a luxury. :unsure:

Anyway, otherwise it looks great. Put in a scientist for Great Scalability.

I think it's the colour palette. Renzatic's screenshots feel very warm, very fiery and orange. The Thief 3 screenshots, while still cool and thiefy, seem more "over-cast grey", even indoors where the torches are.

The problem with T3 is, that they changed the palette, they changed the look and feel of the houses and they changed the mood. Basically they changed the entire artistic style. It is consistent throughout the game but not consistent with the series.

Actually this warm glowing feeling is one of the things I always loved in T1/T2. I just loved just to walk though some manors because of that. :)

Gerhard

I know what you mean. I mean, I have never played Thief 3 YET (still trying to get my upgrade) but from the screen shots, it doesn't look like the original games the way Renzatic's and BlackThief's work (in Renzatic's screenshots) look.

I'm still trying to work out why this is. One thing that popped into my head is that it actually looks more angular than Thief 3, so it looks a bit older, like the old Thief 2 and 1? But looking at some of the indoors screenshots, Renzatic's room is just lacking the other details and bump/specular mapping that make the room feel more "rounded".

I'm sure these texture artists know this kind of thing already, but I'm going to make a texture palette mention in the "Targets" thread.

Yeah, you nailed it. Whatever they did with the Thief 3 color scheme made it very drab and the same all over. The warmth is missing. I think a big part of this may have come from the way they had to share the same textures. The way they did it I was unable to replace the health meter with a hi-res version of the old shields. When I did the health meter texture appeared on health potions, hammer guards scepters and on a cat'o'nine tails. I was so disappointed.

Whoa, holy hell...my scale is way off. I figured that the characters chest would be about even with the top of the wood panels.

Guess that explains why the little scale marker on the Z-axis window is smaller than it was in Vampire...Doomguy is alot shorter than what I'm used to. Oh well, it won't be that difficult to fix.

Also, the reason it leaks isn't because the walls are too thin, walls that are 2 grid units thick are about the average for Id's maps, it's because my lights are too big at the moment. I'm still learning the in's and out's of D3's lighting, and right now they're too large considering the size of the room. I have cleaned up the geometry in my most recent mockup, though...so it shouldn't have any gaps.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the fact that the lights have to be bigger than what they need to be might be a good indication that the room is too large...I'll have it fixed up over the next few days.

Edit 2: New map (non shrunk, what's shown in my most recent screenshots) is available here. I would've uploaded it to our regular FTP, but I can't seem to access it at the moment. Since the geometry is cleaner than it was in the first rev no BSP errors should pop up.

Edited by Renzatic