The Dark Mod Forums

What Is The Dark Mod?

Mz3D

I entered eagerly the dark mod project... i just found out that it is much more ambitious than i tought, i read that the dark mod is either a tool set and a campaign. Just some quick questions..

What do you intend for a complete tool set? a level editor with a library containing textures, models, voices etc etc?

The campaign is just a project still not started ? i mean, the tool set is the main objective of the dark mod team? and only after having completed it, will the missions developement start? i ask this because i'm mainly interested in developing the campaign part.

and.. last but not least..

my precious stools models :) will be inserted on the library of the tool set or in a mission?

I entered eagerly the dark mod project... i just found out that it is much more ambitious than i tought, i read that the dark mod is either a tool set and a campaign. Just some quick questions..

What do you intend for a complete tool set? a level editor with a library containing textures, models, voices etc etc?

The campaign is just a project still not started ? i mean, the tool set is the main objective of the dark mod team? and only after having completed it, will the missions developement start? i ask this because i'm mainly interested in developing the campaign part.

my precious stools models :) will be inserted on the library of the tool set or in a mission?

The completed toolset will have plenty of models textures etc for FM authors to start making their own fms.

Once the toolset is complete, we will start making a TDM campaign.

Yes your stools will be in the toolset :D

Have you played any of the previous Thief games? This will be a toolset much like the editor that came with those, with a library of models, textures, sounds, etc. There are already playable maps in existance, but work on a full campaign won't begin until the toolset has begun the betatesting phase.

To answer your questions:

Our primary objective right now is to construct a full toolset. The toolset will contain, as you suspected, textures, sounds, models...and a host of other modifications that are required for a Thief inspired toolset. The nature of the project also required that we create our own customized version of the GTK Radiant level editor. This is the open source version of the doom 3 editor and it allows us to add any feature we need to better take advantage of the tech we must create for use in the mod.

We have no immediate plans on when we will start the campaign or if we will at this point as we're still a good year and a half from our tentative release of a 1.0 version of the toolset.

Your stools would of course become part of the toolset, that's the nature of our current goals...to populate the toolset with assets so that we will actually have tools to build a campaign if we're still interested when the toolset is finished. Even if we don't choose to make a campaign, there will be several demo missions released with the toolset and our beta mappers will likely have their first missions ready for release shortly after our toolset is finished.

I'm not sure I fully understand why you see a difference between creating models for the toolset or a campaign, they're going to be used in missions eventually regardless.

Edit:

Ha ha, Komag managed to answer all the questions more eloquently than any of us. :)

i intended to work at the campaign... :(

anyway, i could develop one of the demo missions

I thought you were applying as a modeler? It's more important that we fill out our assets right now....if there's no toolset, then there can be no campaign. It sounds to me like you're more interested in being a beta mapper than a contributor. It's a bit of a let down for me personally, because generally if someone applies for a position by displaying their modeling skills...it means they wish to model.

At any rate, it would be most beneficial for the project if you were to help us fill out our asset themes. We certainly need as many props as we can to populate the game world with objects. As I said earlier though, there is really no difference...anything you make WILL be used in the campaign later....you're still contributing to it in the end, it's just not being worked on right now.

Of course you can cerate missions as well. Ideally it would be some mission where models are still lacking, so we can put the new models in the library. Since you said you wanted to apply as a modeler we thought that is what you want to do. The distinction is not THAT strict though. Many mappers create their own models and vice versa, so if you create good maps and populate it with models that's also fine. :)

Gerhard

Yep. Now that you're a contributor you're one step away from being a full member. Once you're a full member you get access to the entire mod, so you can start mapping, modelling, or whatever you like.

Your modelling skills are not in doubt, but we keep new people at contributor status for a while just to make sure they aren't signing up for two weeks and then disappearing never to be seen again. :)