The Dark Mod Forums

Bounce Sounds

Springheel

I'm going through our moveables and giving them appropriate bounce sounds. We have some wood sounds we haven't been using and D3 has almost every other kind of impact sound we might need for the moment. But I'm having trouble finding where some of our moveables are defined. I can't find Dram's haystacks, for example, and a number of other moveables from the mansion. As far as I can tell there is only moveable.def and moveable_loot.def--am I missing a file?

Also, is there somewhere where the default bounce sound is set for all objects?

One other thing--we have some falling body sounds, but I can't find where sounds for ragdolls would be set.

A quick search indicated 'tdm_straw_bale' in misc.mtr, but I don't see a def yet. Still looking.

Edit: oh wait a sec - does it even need a def? An exhaustive search for "straw" in the whole /darkmod folder turned up no definitions. It's just a moveable object and nothing more, which just means it needs its material defined (in the LWO) and a CM (also in the LWO). Right? I haven't done LWO before though, so I'm not positive that's how it works.

I thought it had to have a definition in order to be a moveable? Or can you just set things to be generic moveable objects, using the default settings/sounds? If so, no wonder they don't sound very good.

Doesn't the material type come into play when determining impact sounds?

I can't say for sure how Dram set it up, but yes, it is possible to set up a moveable only within the map, by using the generic moveable (moveable_base), as long as the model has a collision model or it's just a brush. So it could be that Dram just placed a moveable_base in the map and assigned it the model, which would explain why it doesn't have a def and uses the default sound and physics.

The default friction and bouncyness values are terrible btw, at some point we have to go thru and updated those. But its mass also effects its behavior, so I think we need to establish some mass standards before we go tweaking the physics. That might also require tweaking some of the applied forces like the player kicking things out of the way.

which would explain why it doesn't have a def and uses the default sound and physics.

Is there any way to set a default sound that depends on the surface type of the object? Right now all default movables play the same sound(s) regardless of their material. It would certainly be a lot more convenient if we could set up one for wood, one for metal, one for glass, etc.

Is there any way to set a default sound that depends on the surface type of the object? Right now all default movables play the same sound(s) regardless of their material. It would certainly be a lot more convenient if we could set up one for wood, one for metal, one for glass, etc.
There's also the possibility that the collision model is overriding the material attributes so an additional definition would be nice :)

I set a system up a while ago, but I think we decided that the moveable itself had more effect on the sound than what it's made out of, so I think each moveable can have different sounds for landing on different surfaces (i.e., a wooden goblet would make a different sound from a wood crate, and make a different sound landing on carpet than it would on a stone floor, so it wouldn't make sense to always use the same wood impact sound for everything made of wood. Also, something like a banana would have unique sounds, too.). Right now, at least one sound has to be set for the moveable, and you can add more for landing on different surfaces with snd_bounce_<surface type name>.

For convenience, we could set up some dummy def files that items could inherit from, with default falling sounds already set up (and maybe some default fricton/bouncyness settings), like moveable_base_wood or someting like that.

the moveable itself had more effect on the sound than what it's made out of, so I think each moveable can have different sounds for landing on different surfaces (i.e., a wooden goblet would make a different sound from a wood crate,

That's true, though what are the chances we'll have enough different sounds to make those kinds of distinctions?

Chances are slim, but having it depend on the material of the object itself would require a rewrite, as well as excluding those other options in the event that someone does record a sound in the future. I guess we could request some generic SFX sounds for now, like, small hard object falling on wood, tile, carpet, medium hard object, large, then soft objects.

Ok, I went through and added bounce sounds to the existing moveables. I made use of our sounds first and then D3 sounds where appropriate. I added a few D3 sounds to our list of walk sounds as well--D3 has some good metal ones and ours aren't so good. I left ours in there though so people can compare.

Also changed some of the player sounds to use our existing sounds rather than D3 ones (for ladders, for instance).

I didn't add sounds for landing on different surfaces, though that is definitely a good idea--metal objects shouldn't clank if they're landing on grass or carpet. I didn't want to get into things too deeply since it's not my territory. :)

Also changed some of the player sounds to use our existing sounds rather than D3 ones (for ladders, for instance).

I doubt that sound will work well, it's too long IMO. D3 expects the ladder sound to play when you climb each rung, but our sound is more like *CREEEEAAAAAKKKK* for a second or two.

Hmm, I don't know. See what you think, but it sounded good to me when I tested it in mansion_alpha.

• 1 month later...

Just for future reference & I'm going to point a finger :laugh: , Spring, you can't have anything inherit "material_wood_impact":

entityDef atdm:moveable_crate02 
{
"editor_color"					"1 0 0"
"editor_mins"					"-28 -28 -28"
"editor_maxs"					"28 28 28"
"size"						"56 56 56"
"mass"						"350"
"origin"					"0 0 -28"

"inherit"					"material_wood_impact"
"model"					"models/darkmod/props/containers/crate02.lwo"
//"density"					"0.006"
"friction"					"0.2"
"bouncyness"					"0.02"
"snd_bounce"					"material_wood_impact"

"nonsolid"			"0"
//"nodrop"			"0"
"noimpact"			"0"
"notpushable"			"0"
}

Should be inheriting "movable_base" ;) I was wondering why some crates wouldn't show up in my map . . .

• 4 weeks later...