The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Soon To Implement Ingame Advertising...

woah

I acknowledge not that many (if any) like Steam here, so I'd just like to share with you the horrid news that COUNTER-STRIKE 1.6 (?!)--a game Valve has not supported for over 3 and a half years--will soon commence to implement IN GAME advertisements, on the walls, on the scoreboard, and wherever else Valve deems suitable. Counter-Strike: Source and other Steam games will not implement this, solely because they are so unpopular (whereas Counter-Strike 1.6 is immensly popular).

CSNation.net has posted an interview with Valve. Aside from all of the "mutual benefit with consumers" bullshit, Valve strangely does not reply to several key, and tough questions. Here is the interview if you're interested:

http://csnation.net/articles.php/interview_231/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And 3 hours after they implement it, someone will figure out how to block them, and all of Valve's plans will fall in a heap. :P

The only good thing about in-game ads is that they make a good selling point for other games. As in "buy me, I don't have ads!".

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Do you think it's cool to send data about your purchases so that they can put ads for companies you've ordered from in the game? Do you like the fact that this means the path is established to send any personal data from your computer, sending it to companies or individuals in companies who are not above doing pretty much anything with it?

And 3 hours after they implement it, someone will figure out how to block them, and all of Valve's plans will fall in a heap. :P

Taht's not the point. the point is to establish it as an accepted game content. Irt doesn't matter wether some people will block it or not, because they can charge money from the companies nevertheless, and most will get used to it.

Gerhard

If you guys would stop pirating games, maybe they wouldn't have to resort to this sort of thing :)

The mutual benifit is that you still get your games for the usual price.

Do you really believe that crap or do you get paid to sput such nonsense? I hope you get enough money for it.

Gerhard

Do you think it's cool to send data about your purchases so that they can put ads for companies you've ordered from in the game? Do you like the fact that this means the path is established to send any personal data from your computer, sending it to companies or individuals in companies who are not above doing pretty much anything with it?

Who cares about rights as long as you 0.5% price reduction or that new cewl T-shirt for free, or that cewl knew game, that couldn't have been done if companies were not allowed to steal into your privacy. I really don't know why people are upset about Bush listening in and ignoring the law, when people toss around all their information like crazy and even defend it like Dom.

Gerhard

As for advertising, I think whether or not I have a problem with it depends on how its done. I don't mind in-game advertising that matches the game world and doesn't break immersion. To use an example from the article, I would very much object to see a bright and shiny listerine add in de_dust, but there are places where I wouldn't have a problem with them at all. For example de_trainyard (I forget if that's the right name) takes place in a warehouse district, and has advertisements on the sides of trains (and maybe on billboards) for some fictional product called something like "FizzyPop Dog". I wouldn't have a problem seeing it replaced with advertisements for real products if the advertisements are sufficiently faded and scratched up to match the environment.

It's a slippery slope from there to advertisers beginning to alter the game's content, as they already do in TV shows and movies. Soon you'll see scripted NPC conversations where they talk about what a smooth ride their Ford Exporer is, or how they got that extra boost from drinking Gatorade. Eventually advertisers will build maps for games (if not entire games) that are designed to showcase their product, just like they currently do for sitcoms (ever see the Pottery Barn Friends episode, or the Segue Frasier one?)

Yes, but the slippery slope argument applies very strongly to this case.

They're just getting their foot in the door right now. They'll go to any lengths to get extra revenue, and they know there are enough avid gamers who'll put up with almost any commercial shit as long as they get their leet games to play.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see full screen adverts popping up in games every 15 minutes, like ad breaks on TV.

I absolutely guarantee their are plenty of people who would put up with even that, rather than not play games at all..

People seem to forget that the games industry is just that- a business, and their business is to maximise their profits, not maximise your enjoyment, and the two things are not the same.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The main advantage mods/total conversions/fan made games have is their single and focused purpose of maximising enjoyment for their players. The same cannot be said for any commercial game, they are always tainted, for good or ill, by financial concerns.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I bet you this won't translate to reduced prices of games as it should. They'll just pocket the profits and not give anything back to the customer.

"If Bush and his cronies went to Iraq to get the oil, then why haven't our gas prices gone down?"

Edited by Vadrosaul
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

I bet you this won't translate to reduced prices of games as it should. They'll just pocket the profits and not give anything back to the customer.

Duh. The point is not to make games cheaper, it's to prop up the game companies.

Maybe if they actually made products worth buying they wouldn't have to resort to this kind of crap to boost their profits.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

If you ask me, the slippery slope begain at product activation. And if people refused to buy games that implemented it, they would have patched it on day 2 of the product launch and we wouldn't be worrying about adds in games. So I guess I'm agreeing with the slippery slope theory and also gripping as one of the sole people in the world who refuses to pay for Steam games and getting to listen to countless thousands who supported it by buying it and then complaining that they don't like it.

My tip for the day is, don't buy any games with mandatory online requirements and you won't have that problem.

You don't think piracy is a problem?

There are some people who will pirate a game rather than buy it. This could be said to cost the publisher money.

There are other people who will pirate a game that they would never otherwise have bought. This is cost neutral to the company.

There are still other people who will pirate a game, find out they like it and then buy a legal copy (I myself have done this with at least 3 games). This benefits the publisher financially.

Without analysing and comparing the frequencies of ALL of these alternatives, it is IMPOSSIBLE to say whether piracy is a net benefit or a net loss to the industry, despite the self-serving waffle peddled by those with vested interests one way or the other.

No I just see great companies like LGS go under and wonder if all the piracy had something to do with it.

You don't think piracy is a problem?

No, it had nothing to do with it. Piracy wasn't even that big a problem 8 years ago.

What you have to do is decide how many people are getting hold of pirate copies, who would definitely have purchased the game otherwise.

As far as LGS games go, I think that number would be very small. You can't, of course, count all the copies that have been pirated in the last 8 years, after LGS had already closed.

You also can't count people who piss around with a pirate copy if they can easily get it, but had no intention of buying it in any case.

I fall into the last category. I got T2 free with a graphics card, I bought the original Tgold in that odd shaped box, and bought T1 on a budget label, but this was all after LGS had already closed, so it would have made no difference at all if I had just downloaded all three.

- Emil Zola

character models site