The Dark Mod Forums

Steam Soon To Implement Ingame Advertising...

woah

I believe I read this wrong. I thought it was in reference to full products, but it seems to be a type of demo access.

I was hoping that they could create a guest account that would give full access to the games and lock the games down that are being accessed by a friend, so that it virtually achieves the same effect of physical borrowing of the game CD. How it currently works is a friend gives you his/her account name & password.

I don't really like Steam, for I prefer to purchase complete ownership of the product, the traditional way, and not just buy into a leasing contract in which conditions are subject to change by only one party (Valve).

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Jesus. Now I'm definitely not going to buy Half-Life 2.

So if I buy the game in Australia and then go on holiday in the US, I'm not allowed to play the game I legitimately, legally bought while I'm on holiday, just because Valve said so? Fucking ridiculous.

What really gets me is the number of people at that link saying that the buyers of the deactivated games got what they deserved for buying from "dodgy retailers". As if every non-US retailer is automatically dodgy. Morons.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Jesus. Now I'm definitely not going to buy Half-Life 2.

So if I buy the game in Australia and then go on holiday in the US, I'm not allowed to play the game I legitimately, legally bought while I'm on holiday, just because Valve said so? Fucking ridiculous.

What really gets me is the number of people at that link saying that the buyers of the deactivated games got what they deserved for buying from "dodgy retailers". As if every non-US retailer is automatically dodgy. Morons.

Please also note that in f.i. Germany, the games are quite crippled/self-zensored, which means that you are basically forced to buy your Steam game via some foreign mercchant. (via an proxy in another country as Valve checks the IP!)

However, do not try to get a refund for these games when you bought them via your credit card, as this will not only disable the game you bought (AND returned legally), but your entire account:

Please note: Any Steam accounts which belong to you will be disabled if your bank or credit card provider issues a chargeback for any purchase made through Steam or if we are notified of a fraudulent purchase on your account.

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37355

So, they can simple turn around and deactivate all your bought games for no reason whatsoever. I think this is the reason why "software-as-a-paid-service" will fall flat on it's nose. Hopefully soon.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Morons indeed. The Consumerist commenters are a mixed bunch. IMO, about half of them have their heads on right, truly dedicated to the best interests of the consumer, and vocal about it, and the other half are friggin corporate pacifists, just going where they can find confrontation or an interest to push.

The comment up near the top where the one guy says something like, "well valve's games are this good, that I'll put up with it," I personally think that spineless worm needs to be shot.

Valve: "We've got your money, we don't give a shit what follows after that."

Edit: Tels, holy crap that link says even worse things. If true (and it seems to be backed up), Valve really must be stopped. This is getting ridiculous now. I cannot believe anyone would actually pay for this handcuffed abuse.

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37355

So, they can simple turn around and deactivate all your bought games for no reason whatsoever. I think this is the reason why "software-as-a-paid-service" will fall flat on it's nose. Hopefully soon.

I couldn't really follow why his account was deactivated because it didn't seem like he actually explained what he said, where he said it, how it was interpreted by Valve, and what exactly happened. Maybe it's just me.

Then again, I feel like it's also important to be skeptical in these situations. I do admit, the article about the international products left some important details out that have been on my mind. Reading some of the comments it seemed like some people were claiming that only certain copies that were bought internationally from certain companies were revoked; a la Thailand firms selling the Steam activation keys for twenty US.

Not to jump on the band-wagon, I just don't feel like we're getting the whole story. What were the SPECIFIC cases--from where did they purchase?

Is it all international copies bought out of region that this happens to?

If that's the case, I agree with the commentor that if companies are allowed to exploit the global market to maximize profits, so to should cosumers be able to do the same to maximize savings.

I couldn't really follow why his account was deactivated because it didn't seem like he actually explained what he said, where he said it, how it was interpreted by Valve, and what exactly happened. Maybe it's just me.

Then again, I feel like it's also important to be skeptical in these situations. I do admit, the article about the international products left some important details out that have been on my mind. Reading some of the comments it seemed like some people were claiming that only certain copies that were bought internationally from certain companies were revoked; a la Thailand firms selling the Steam activation keys for twenty US.

Not to jump on the band-wagon, I just don't feel like we're getting the whole story. What were the SPECIFIC cases--from where did they purchase?

Is it all international copies bought out of region that this happens to?

If that's the case, I agree with the commentor that if companies are allowed to exploit the global market to maximize profits, so to should cosumers be able to do the same to maximize savings.

I think you miss the entire point:

It does not matter where the customer bought, from hom he bought, what he bought, how he bought it, but the company can still just revoke the right to his bought product at any time for any reason (or even none).

The customer itself cannot get a refund for his product, (even when some law would actually dictate that he can), without risking all his other bought products to be deactivated.

And this is unacceptable.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I just bought the orangebox. The situation is somewhat ironic given the themes of uprising against oppressive and unfair control which seems to be a theme of most Valve games. But every game seems to work offline for me, apart from Portal, which I had to complete tethered up to the internet so that Steam could monitor my progress in much the same way as the creepy robot in the game that tells you what to do...