The Dark Mod Forums

Book Closed

BlackThief

Also, isn't that table still a little low?  It looks about the same height as the trim along the wall....about 1' high.

well it's a coffeetable - they are very low in RL - for example:

Chocolate%20Coffee%20Table.jpg

Normal map the hell out of those books and they'll be good to go - same with the coins.

well of course they'll look better with a normalmap, but is it really worth for such small objects ? remember - each normalmap needs graphics-memory. I'd rather prefer to have more high-res textures and skins instead of normal-mapping every tiny little object ;)

regarding the specular - that shouldn't be a problem, however I can't get the objects working in the editor myself - dunno why - they are all black cubes in the editor, but they work when I start D3 and load the mod :blink:

well it's a coffeetable - they are very low in RL - for example:

I think the table is ok. It's the environment where the table doesn't really fit in, though.

well of course they'll look better with a normalmap, but is it really worth for such small objects ? remember - each normalmap needs graphics-memory. I'd rather prefer to have more high-res textures and skins instead of normal-mapping every tiny little object ;)

I don't know. The question is how this impacst performance. Of course the stuff should look good, but will there so many books at once that we will get problems of this? Of course you always have to keep the whole picture in mind. Teh game shouldn't start to get a slidshow when three Ai's are coming in the room. :)

regarding the specular - that shouldn't be a problem, however I can't get the objects working in the editor myself - dunno why - they are all black cubes in the editor, but they work when I start D3 and load the mod  :blink:

I noticed that you spelled the names differently. One time you wrote coffetab1 and the other one you wrote coffeetab1. After I realized that the table showed up in the editor as well. And of course you must set the game to darkmod as well, but I think you already did this.

Gerhard

I noticed that you spelled the names differently. One time you wrote coffetab1 and the other one you wrote coffeetab1. After I realized that the table showed up in the editor as well. And of course you must set the game to darkmod as well, but I think you already did this.

the strange thing is, that even your objects (that work, when I load the mod ingame) don't show up in the editor...

the strange thing is, that even your objects (that work, when I load the mod ingame) don't show up in the editor...

It works for me. Only thing is that the objects boxes are wrong. But that is a different problem. I don't know what your problem is. If it doesn't show up it means that some paths or names are missing. Take a look in the console. maybe it says something. And the loader window also shows some errors.

Gerhard

Honestly, once those coins are shrunk down to the right size, I don't think they'll need a normalmap. The books look fine to me too.

Regarding textures, who sets whether an object is loot or not? If it is locked into the object properties, then there is no problem, we can just make shiny, expensive-looking textures.

Those coins REALLY need a normal map. Trust me. You'll be amazed.

As for normal mapping... Well, basically EVERY DOOM 3 object is normal mapped. <shrugs> It's your choice, obviously, but I seriously recommend it. Remember that normals don't need to be same rez as the diffuse.

So I suggest to create a normalmap and see how it looks. And I think that we can do normalmaps for all our stuff. Worst case is that it may have to be removed on slower machines. Isn't it?

Gerhard

Let's go ahead and normal-map everything. Might as well aim to have it look awesome...the technology will be catching up while we work anyway. But the first thing that should be done is *resizing* the coins so they aren't so gigantic! :)

Btw, Deep Omega, speaking of resizing, did you ever have any luck with that fancy wall-light you were working on?

Let's go ahead and normal-map everything.  Might as well aim to have it look awesome...the technology will be catching up while we work anyway.

YES! That's the spirit. :) I think it's easier to remove the normalmaps for slower machines afterwards, but it should look really good an adequate machines. After all we are in competition. :)

But the first thing that should be done is *resizing* the coins so they aren't so gigantic! :)

Yes. The problem is that we don't have the model. We only have the ASE file (BlackThief and me) and that can not imported into Blender, only exported. So we can not resize it. :(

Gerhard

Deep Omega, hear that? I have no idea what it means, but the coins are your model, right?

:)

BTW, any progress on identifying units of measure for the various modelling programs so we can get the size right the first time?

Edited by Springheel

I hear ya. Gimme an idea how too-big it is and I'll get right on it.

Take a look at the screenshot on the previous page. Compared to the table and books, they look like plates.

Well while fiddling with the level editor, I noticed that VERY FEW things in the Doom 3 levels have normal maps, and those levels look awesome. All the AI's have normal maps, but only the most used, biggest geometry type textures had normal maps. The majority of them didn't have any. (This was only while fiddling around with a level from the game called "admin", and it was only the one level, so I may have an innacurate impression, but it seems reasonable.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's BT's model? Or NH's? I don't think it's mine...

no it was yours ;) just take a look into your darkmod/models/misc/coins folder (if you've downloaded the latest version of the mod)

regarding normal-maps: I can easily make them, but currently I'm working on the chair and I don't want to interrupt my work.

• 3 weeks later...