The Dark Mod Forums

AI Barks

Crispy

Just a quick note, mostly for New Horizon's benefit...

As I'm working on getting the AI take cover, it might be nice to have a bark or two for when they do so, along these lines:

When alone:

"Uh-oh"

"Too exposed out here!"

In company:

"Take cover!"

"Look out!"

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add a few related to some of the AI things I've been adding:

Commenting to someone else that they've seen some evidence of intruders but not intruders themselves

"Be on the lookout, I've seen some strange things around"

Stating that they've seen a discharged weapon, like an arrow

"A weapon! Where did that come from!"

Maybe some more generic things would do but right now the closest I have for the later is "Hey, that's not right" which doesn't quite cut it.

• 7 months later...

I'm pretty sure I've already setup sound barks for these situations. I had them all detailed in a pdf...it may have been removed at some point.

Here is the vocal key list.

Vocal Key

I had made this list to assist in the creation of the AI states, I didn't realize that it wasn't being used.

This list covers all the AI states that were used in Thief 2X, some borrowed from T3 and some of our own. It was everything agreed upon as of March 2005. I hope our AI states haven't strayed too far from these, as the states and vocals are tied together. I had locked down this list at that time, thinking I would be starting immediately...but then my father became ill so I had to focus on other issues. If there are any last minute additional suggestions anyone might have after reviewing the list, please let me know. The thing to remember, is that we want to keep things fairly general.

My only suggestion now is for a nobleman - seems like all the previous games have gone for the C3P0 style nobleman "Oh no don't hurt meee!" for cheesy comical effect...

Can we have a blustering important nobleman (instead, if nessecary)? This is probably more likely and immersive. Lines like "Who are you?!", "What are you doing here??" then "Don't you know who I am??" and then "How much do you want?" or "I can make you very rich!" if he's getting really desperate.

I'm not sure I've ever read this before. I'll have a go through it, but one thing that concerns me immediately is that the examples seem to be full of the awful, har-dee-har-har dialogue from TDS:

"Thieves would be foolish to come here tonight. I'm at the top of my game. Yes siree."

"What's that smell....is that? It IS me!"

"Whatever creature is out there in the shadows, come out now...or..or, well I don't know yet but don't test me."

Etc.

This stuff makes me cringe and I feel strongly about keeping this kind of dialogue from TDM. It just turns the AI into moving jokes and has no place in a serious and adult game.

I realize this was probably just cut and pasted from some other source, but I don't like the idea of it trickling into TDM even by accident. Would you mind if I redid the file with more appropriate examples?

I'm sure those are just examples to convey feelings

That's precisely my concern.