The Dark Mod Forums

Playing Doom 3

sparhawk

Just played a little Doom 3 again. After all doing the mod takes most of my time and I'm still at the very beginning. I just came back to mars city. Is the scenery changin in later levels or is it always this underground scifi scenario?

I must say that I liked Doom and Doom 2 much more then D3. For all it's flashy graphics it's rather boring. Most of the tension comes not from gameplay but from the fact that you can always expect one monster spawning behind your back. I hate this. That was the single worst feature I hated most in Duke Nukem, despite loving that game for all it's fun, but D3 excells at this.

Well, it doesn't really matter because it seems that I bought D3 mostly to play Thief after some time. :) So it's still worth it's money, even if it is not what the developers may have intended it. Then again, they might, because I think that D3 is not something a gamedesigner could be proud of. So I guess this is just a tech-demo disguised as a game and the designers intended to people mod it after all, or sell it to game developers. :)

Gerhard

One day someone will figure out how to bypass Steam, Spar..then you can play it. :P

Yeah, the scenery does change a tiny bit. From the cleaner base, to the base in chaos, to hell, back to the base in chaos, to Martian ruins, back to hell. Not alot of variety going on, I admit, but it does change a bit.

Yeah, the scenery does change a tiny bit. From the cleaner base, to the base in chaos, to hell, back to the base in chaos, to Martian ruins, back to hell. Not alot of variety going on, I admit, but it does change a bit.

Not sure if I can make it there. Might be that I fall asleep long before. :)

Edit: When will you be back? We could need you.

Edited by sparhawk

Gerhard

...So I guess this is just a tech-demo disguised as a game and the designers intended to people mod it after all, or sell it to game developers. :)

That's what I've always said.

BTW, you asked, so I spoil it for you - YES, the scenery does change eventually.

Well, the tension comes from that a monster can spawn or break out behind your back at any time, but what makes it scarey is that it looks so damn realistic. :) This game engine is so awesome. So awesome that they didn't even need to make a real game :) Heheh.

Doom 3 is okay. It's not like the repetative battles are actually hard. I just played my way through with a frame rate that was 4-8 fps half of the time and 15-30 fps the other half of the time, and every battle can be played the same way as Doom 1 and 2. Each monster has a "best" way of killing it, that you soon learn:

Imps - Wait till their fairly close, dodge the last fireball, and run right into their face and fire the shot gun. Can even be done easily with multiple enemies around.

Etc. etc. I won't tell you my tactics for all the others, cause I'm not sure what youve' seen so far (so as not to spoil it), but they are all as fairly straight forward as that.

And then the general tactics - which basically consist of - if there are multiple enemies, backtrack to a choke point and shoot them as they come through one by one. (The level designers obviously knew about this, so sometimes you open a door and find some enemy in your face that wasn't there before. It's usually just a soldier or imp, and their main weakness is a shotgun blast to the head. Works really well.)

Or if stuck in a tight spot, run to the nearest corner and jump out and shoot them when their footsteps are loud enough.

I don't know what exactly you liked more about Doom 1 and 2 over 3. They played exactly the same way as Doom 3, and a few slight scenery changes that were really just different textures. Everything still looked like the same old boxy graphics. Doom 3 just has more cooler features, like better graphics and physics. And when the scenery does change, it REALLY DOES change.

I don't know what exactly you liked more about Doom 1 and 2 over 3. They played exactly the same way as Doom 3, and a few slight scenery changes that were really just different textures. Everything still looked like the same old boxy graphics. Doom 3 just has more cooler features, like better graphics and physics. And when the scenery does change, it REALLY DOES change.

I had the impression that in D1/2 the AI was much better. And they did not rely so heavily on AI teleported in. And considering the Physics, I'm not that impressed with it for now. I walked up a stair and suddenly some boxes fell down which were stored on a metal plate hanging on four ropes. The plate was still hanging on two ropes and swung a little bit, but you could see that this was just a scripted physic, because the plate stopped swinging after about two seconds and also the swinging looked very unrealistic.

I will play some more to see other effects. I hope it becomes better.

Gerhard

Well so there are scripted ones in it for specific effects - but the ones that aren't scripted are VERY good. Like the one Jay mentioned in some other thread - shoot one of the lights hanging by chains in Site 2 (I think it is) and it reacts bloody awesomely.

And you just have to get to the part where you use the remote control metal claw to pick up and drop radioactive drums into a waste disposal - sorry for the language, but f*ck, I have never seen ANYTHING like this in any other game.

If you tell the claw to lower, and it isn't precicely centered around the drum, then when the claws close, the ones on one side hit first, naturally, causing the claw to pick it up on an angle. Raise the claw, and it is actually carrying the drum in an akward way!! This stuff just can't be scripted! There are too many possibilities :)

Regarding the AI, it is actually not even worth comparing Doom3 to Doom 1 and Doom 2. Those D1 & 2 monsters only ran directly toward you in a bee-line, wether there was a wall there or not. Their pathfinding was limited to sliding along a wall or edge if they happened to run into something along the way.

Doom 3 is the real deal. Once an enemy is present, it will chase you anywhere, no matter how complex the path you run, no matter how far away (well, there is a distance limit, but you have that in all games). I have even been testing this myself with my own maps.

Edited by Domarius

Well so there are scripted ones in it for specific effects - but the ones that aren't scripted are VERY good. Like the one Jay mentioned in some other thread - shoot one of the lights hanging by chains in Site 2 (I think it is) and it reacts bloody awesomely.

Good to know. When I saw this I was really disapointed and feared that I would have to implement my own physics. So I guess I should play along and see what features are there.

Gerhard

• 4 weeks later...
I prefer the doom3 multiplayer to the hl2 but i prefer the hl2 singe-player (playing just now :P) although i recon they both have extremely boring starts :P

Can't comment on HL2, but D3 was really a letdown. I think D1 and D2 were much better as games then D3 is now. Anyway. I paid the price and I got enough worth for it. Even if it's not playing value I get. :)

Gerhard

It's the most tedious, worthless, repetitive game ever made, and that's that.

ID are a bunch of lazy fuckers. Look at the bloody so-called editor they give the community, it's basically just code with the most basic and spartan of UI slapped on top. I don't think they could have made working with importing and exporting charcaters any more cryptic or obtuse if they had deliberately tried.

The bastards couldn't even be bothered writing a proper plugin for maya to export models, you have to piss around with a dll and the tools built into the doom.exe using the command line.

And they wouldn't even think of writing a few tutorials either, considering all the experinmce they had with it over the years, they just leave it up to the community to work it out for themselves and write their own plugins.

I've done many characters for Unreal Tournament, and I have to say using UnrealEd and the ActorX plugin was a joy compared to this crap of editing half a dozen text files and hopping in and out of doomedit to type commands into a bloody console.

I mean, Christ, it's one of the top three most popular editors in the wolrd, you'd think they'd put at least some effort into getting it fit for public consumption.

Still, I wouldn't want you to think I was bitter or anything... :angry:

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site