The Dark Mod Forums

Dont Want To Be Rude

MadhatteR

I was wondering if you ever contacted john-p in helping you with textures etc. I used his textures in both Thief-DS and Deus Ex-IW just because i wasnt satisfied with the quality of the ingame graphics, and his were much better. Hence i wonder if he could help you out with texturing models etc.

you might feel strongly about it, but i was just a suggestion from a n00b / newby who has been modding his games for ages.

http://www.john-p.com/index.shtml

http://www.john-p.com/textures/index.shtml

So please dont take offence :D I just want to get started on playing the dark mod :D

greetzzz

"Curiouser and Curiouser" cried Alice!"

John and I used to moderate the old Ion Storm boards together. I've been in contact with John, and he has created a few textures for us. He's busy with real life though, and rather burned out from working on Deus Ex/ Thief DS/ Thief 2X textures, so I don't think we'll see that many more textures from him...at least not for awhile.

At the moment, I don't really think textures will slow us down very much now...we've managed to find a good core of strong modelers who make fantastic textures. Where we could use help right now, is with extra coders.

....and sound effect creators.

We've got a great collection of ambient music now, but we badly need people who can record basic sound effects, like walking on different surfaces, impact sounds, etc.

You can definitely apply! Send New Horizon a PM and he'll set you up as an applicant.

C++ is more complicated than either Java or Python, but you probably wouldn't need to do anything too heavy-duty. And there are lots of things that can be done with Doom 3 scripting (it has C-like syntax, which will be somewhat familiar to you from Java; there are some minor differences, but they're easily learnt).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Awesome. I already have a decent idea of the major differences between Java and C--although I don't yet know how to put them to good use. I was more worried that you wouldn't want to put up with someone so ignorant as me (on C++ and D3-scripting). I guess I should send NH a pm, then, eh?

Edited by Nyarlathotep

And thus my ignorance paid off in some way ... :D cant say I can help you much, my programming skills don't go much further then web design. Which is a bummer, I would gladly help you were I can, but it seems that you have that angle pretty well covered.

greetz

"Curiouser and Curiouser" cried Alice!"

....and sound effect creators.

We've got a great collection of ambient music now, but we badly need people who can record basic sound effects, like walking on different surfaces, impact sounds, etc.

I thought NH was handling everything in terms of sound, but this is something I could possibly help out in a bit. I don't want to add my name to any lists, but if I have some sounds that I feel might be usable, would someone be willing to give them a listen? Is there a list of sounds you're after?

SeaBass%20Hale.png

NH is handling all the dialogue, but not sound fx as far as I know.

What we especially need are impact sounds for different types of objects.

1. Footstep sounds on varied surfaces (stone, tile, grass, wood, metal, etc)

2. Impact sounds of varied objects hitting varied surfaces (stone object hitting stone, tile, grass; metal object hitting stone, stile, grass, etc, etc)

3. Other sounds you would expect a game like Thief to need--collapsing bodies, sword strike sounds, arrow impact sounds, etc.

If you've got anything like that, we'd be happy to listen to them. Right now we're mostly using D3 default sounds, which are not particularly good.

Either .wav or .ogg format is used in D3.

I'm not really a sound guy though, so maybe they'll chime in.

I think we also like OGG because they're smaller files. :)

We can always convert them later, but from the iddevnet site:

Valid sound files are 1 or 2 channel, 16 bit OGG or WAV files at 11025, 22050 or 44100 Hz.

Sound effects should not be in stereo btw, since that will make them omnidirectional sounds ingame and impossible to locate by listening.

• 2 weeks later...
Sound effects should not be in stereo btw, since that will make them omnidirectional sounds ingame and impossible to locate by listening.

.OGG is great for the file size!

There are some sound specs for the project over in the sound/sfx threads.

The only place we use stereo files is for ambients (which would be considered non-directional).

Everything else is in mono format.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

• 2 weeks later...
I hope the new sounds will be clear, loud and realistic like the original ones. I played T2X and realized that a single poorly recorded sound (especially if it's recurring) can reduce immersion and enjoyment of the gameplay.

We use only the best. Our sound guys are pros in their field, they haven't let us down yet. :)

We use only the best. Our sound guys are pros in their field, they haven't let us down yet. :)

If he does say so himself. Heheh.

New Horizon is in charge of all voice acting, and is adamant (with good reason) that all sound must be recorded at the same quality as possible, and he's sourcing all the voice talent locally.

the sounds are old and over compressed

Not to mention way over-used. Man, one of the backdoor best things about TDM is that we get fresh assets, because even if the gameplay might not get old, hearing m03chimes and seeing victwal1 for the gazillionth time sure as hell can.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.