The Dark Mod Forums

Main Menu During Game

Springheel

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means he's been working on a local copy, and now it's out of date so he'll have to merge in his changes.

@Napalm: You can use a program called WinMerge for this very easily, it shows you one file on the left and one on the right and the differences between them (powered by Gnu diff I think), so you can merge only the music line into your new code. Just rename your version of the file to something else, update SVN, merge your changes into the SVN version and commit.

The only changes I made were to windowDef music. You can just cut and paste this if you're worried about conflicts:

windowDef music

{

rect 0,0,0,0

visible 0

onTime 500 {

set "cmd" "music sound/menu/amb_nocturne_menu.ogg";

}

onTime 251000 {

resetTime 0;

}

}

When you say load game you mean saves or loading a FM ? Seems like the former but I never did get a response on whether we were in fact going to facilitate an in game FM loader or if we were expecting someone else to write one for us. Unless I missed it somewhere.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

When you say load game you mean saves or loading a FM ? Seems like the former but I never did get a response on whether we were in fact going to facilitate an in game FM loader or if we were expecting someone else to write one for us. Unless I missed it somewhere.

There's a big thread on that exact issue: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5029

Really? The value I posted below should be correct. Maybe I didn't commit this one either amidst the DNoS issue? I'll double check.

There's a big thread on that exact issue: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5029

I just re-read that thread and last thing I see about it is maybe a basic minimum loader and not to bother with it till 2008 when we are closer to release.

It seems unresolved to me.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

Really? The value I posted below should be correct. Maybe I didn't commit this one either amidst the DNoS issue? I'll double check.

Looks like I did commit it, so maybe the value is wrong. I'll have to look at it again.

Ok, I'm doing something wrong but I'm not sure what. The song is 4 minutes and 10 seconds long, which is 250 seconds. onTime commands are done in milliseconds, so shouldn't that mean that

onTime 251000 {

would give the song enough time to finish? Have I made a stupid adding mistake somewhere?

If there was, it would probably be going for 54395ms (as a result of overflowing an unsigned 2-byte integer). Is this consistent with what you're seeing?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Well, I tried increasing the time and it kept stopping in the same place, so I guess there is a hard limit. Either that or something else in the code is causing it to loop, though I can't think what that might be.

I can't think of anything else

what you (or me if you just want me to add in to next fix) could add is a loop as far as it goes untill it times out then set a float on then when it hits loop after first time reset time then when it goes around secont ime if the loop is on it al resets

I'll let you handle that if you don't mind. :)

On that note, how is progress coming on getting set up on SVN?

I'm all set up and got everything downloaded. I'm just trying to get everything I want done so the menus we have are complete, and every time I iron out one little bug it causes something else, I guess can seeing how that could happen trying to do something as simple as add in music code, it makes sense that trying to get everything bug free could cause that :rolleyes: . Anyways I'll be on holiday next week so I'll hopefully get EVERYTHING done once and for all.

In the latest merge, there are now functions to deal with main menu gui commands. Just wanted to mention that, in case you didn't know. So this should allow us to implement supporting functions for the main menu, more easily. Maybe we can also take a look at this sound issue via the SDK?

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can help with this. When I changed the .gui file for the main menu for the longer version of the song, I noticed this effect, too. I noticed that it played through completely after it has been cut off and restarted - what happened: in the definition for the credits screen a timer reset on 90000 was defined. For some reason it triggered the music reset, even if you didn't click the credits. I got rid of the effect by including the time reset into an if-condition that is only true when credits has been actively clicked.

I'm not sure if the change got merged in, I'll check the code at home.