The Dark Mod Forums

Skins Don't Work

PinkDot

I'm trying to make some skins for my models but they don't show up in Dark Radiant Model Inspector. What am I doing wrong? Here's the model inspector window (where you can find model paths and material names) and here's my skin declarations:

drmodelsso5.th.jpg

skin The_Big_Hammer_metal
{
model models/darkmod/props/decorative/decorative_oversized/the_hammer_big.lwo
tdm_thehammer_big_stone tdm_thehammer_big_metal
}

That's just one example but I couldn't get it to work for any of my models...

I put my skins declarations in new file: decorations_oversized.skin

What am I doing wrong?

Well, they still don't work... Although now DR recognize them and adds them to the list but some of them don't do anything...

Here's my skin file:

skin The_Big_Hammer_metal
{
model models/darkmod/props/decorative/decorative_oversized/The_Hammer_big.lwo
tdm_thehammer_big_stone tdm_thehammer_big_metal
}

skin The_Big_Hammer_rusted
{
tdm_gear_big_metal  tdm_gear_big_rusted
tdm_thehammer_big_stone tdm_thehammer_big_rusted

}

skin The_Big_Hammer_ruined
{
model models/darkmod/props/decorative/decorative_oversized/The_Hammer_big_ruined.lwo
tdm_Gear_big_metal tdm_Gear_big_rusted
tdm_thehammer_big_stone tdm_thehammer_big_ruined
}

skin The_Medium_Hammer_metal
{
model models/darkmod/props/decorative/decorative_oversized/The_Hammer_medium1.lwo
tdm_thehammer_medium_stone tdm_thehammer_medium_metal
}

skin The_Medium_Hammer_darkstone
{
model models/darkmod/props/decorative/decorative_oversized/The_Hammer_medium1.lwo
tdm_thehammer_medium_stone tdm_thehammer_medium_stone_dark
}

When I had swaped the lines with pairs of materials in skin The_Big_Hammer_rusted, so the declarations look like this: (gear in second line instead of first one)

skin The_Big_Hammer_rusted
{
tdm_thehammer_big_stone tdm_thehammer_big_rusted
tdm_gear_big_metal  tdm_gear_big_rusted
}

then rusted texture appeared but gear texture stayed unchanged. It looks like that gear material is problematic, but its name is correct... and all textures are at right folder... I really don't know what to do...

well, I'll check if they work as default materials...

All alternative materials work fine as default skins.

And what I've noticed also - even if some of the changed skins appear in Models Inspector they are not changed neither in editor nor in game....

I wish I was still doing something wrong but it seems for me that changing skins in DR doesn't work...

Has anybody succeeded changing skins using Model Inspector?

It might not be the problem, but in general we've seen over project history that it's best to avoid capital letters altogether.

Thanks Dave - that solves some part of the problem - now DR recognizes all materials in skin declaration. But still choosing another skin doesn't make any diffrence - model appears in editor and in game with default textures...

- model appears in editor and in game with default textures...

Skins aren't yet updated in the Dark Radiant render mode, Orbweaver will likely step in to explain what needs to be done to get this working. :) DR is still very much a work in progress, although we have definitely improved upon D3ED in many ways already.

Hopefully we'll be able to improve upon how it works in D3ED with our version. D3Ed only shows updated skins when render mode is turned on. I'm hoping we'll be able to display the updated skins right away in both rendered and non-rendered modes.

I know about the problem with skins not displaying in render mode, but are you saying that they don't show up in game either? This must be a problem with the skin, since DarkRadiant is out of the picture once Doom 3 starts playing your map.

When you set the skin, does the "skin" key show up in the Entity Inspector with the correct value?

The problem is that correct skins are displayed only in preview window in Model Inspector. But choosing some skin and clicking OK creates model with only default skin. "Skin" key is not set up - it's grey and its value field is blank. Thus the correct skin doesn't show up in game.

The problem is that correct skins are displayed only in preview window in Model Inspector. But choosing some skin and clicking OK creates model with only default skin. "Skin" key is not set up - it's grey and its value field is blank. Thus the correct skin doesn't show up in game.

Can you post a screenshot of this? It should not be possible to have a blank key in the Entity Inspector, because setting it blank would remove it altogether.

Can you post a screenshot of this? It should not be possible to have a blank key in the Entity Inspector, because setting it blank would remove it altogether.

Blank value of key, I meant... or key with no value - I'm not sure which is grammatically correct...

Here are screeens: before and after clicking OK on the Model Inspector. As you can see the model appears with changed skin in Mod. Insp. but choosing it doesn't change the skin.

drbeforeclickokch1.th.jpg

drafterclickoket7.th.jpg

Pinkdot, are you using the last windows release? I'll test it on my system to see if I can reproduce the error. I tried the latest build under linux and it worked fine.

I have Win XP with SP 2.

Blank value of key, I meant... or key with no value - I'm not sure which is grammatically correct... Here are screeens: before and after clicking OK on the Model Inspector. As you can see the model appears with changed skin in Mod. Insp. but choosing it doesn't change the skin.

Upgrade your DarkRadiant. I believe that is 0.6.0 you are using, which has a known bug regarding the setting of skins (as well as numerous missing features when compared to the latest release).