The Dark Mod Forums

Important : New Footsteps On Cvs

New Horizon

I asked the T2X team if they would be willing to share their footstep sounds with Dark Mod and they kindly agreed to let us use them.

The new T2X footsteps have been uploaded to CVS, along with a new sound shader.

The agreement with the T2X gang is that we do not let anyone outside the mod know that we are using their footstep sounds. Internal knowledge only. Upon release, the step sounds may only be used by FM authors for Dark Mod FM's.

The tweaked settings won't become default until the new build of the pk4, so you'll have to add the tweaked settings in your Doomconfig.cfg file for them to work properly. Here are the relevant settings.

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_creep "-7"

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_run "4"

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_walk "-2"

seta pm_stepvol_creep "-5"

seta pm_stepvol_run "8"

Additional footstep sounds have been added, thanks to the generosity of T2X. :)

human_carpet

human_grass

human_glass

human_gravel

human_metal

human_metalbridge

human_metalgrate

human_mud

human_snow

human_stone

human_concrete

human_tile

human_wood

movement_ladder

movement_ladder_wood

movement_water

There is also a jump sound for each of the material types. Currently, our player does not use this. It would be beneficial if our player did use the jump sound...rather than simply playing a footstep, as the player currently does.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yes, that is very awesome.

On a cautionary note, we should make sure that none of these sounds are modified T2 sounds, since they were allowed to do that but we are not. I realise they said they were all original, but we should doublecheck just in case any identifiably T2 ones slipped by.

Just went through all the Thief2 and Thief2x stuff. There is no way any of them could be original Thief 2 stuff. The Thief 2 footstep sounds are filled with hiss and scratches. The T2X stuff sounds quite similar to the originals, they obviously went to a lot of effort to replicate them, but they are different...and compressed far less. They're of the same quality as we would expect.

It's good to have a familiar sounding set of footsteps. Now they can be tweaked to the appropriate volume. I think somewhere between Thief 2 and Thief 2X should be about right...I found the step volume a little bit low for my tastes in T2X.

I asked the T2X team if they would be willing to share their footstep sounds with Dark Mod and they kindly agreed to let us use them.
That's great! :)

2. We can not give the sounds to any other project, they are meant to be distributed with Dark Mod only.
Are they aware that once TDM is released, anybody will be allowed to use our assets (including their footstep sounds) as long as their project is completely open-source and they share their assets?

Are they aware that once TDM is released, anybody will be allowed to use our assets (including their footstep sounds) as long as their project is completely open-source?

I presume they mean we can't sublend them to other projects during development -- but it would probably be worth clarifying just in case.

The new T2X footsteps have been uploaded to CVS, along with a new sound shader.

The agreement with the T2X gang is that we do not let anyone outside the mod know that we are using their footstep sounds. Internal knowledge only. Upon release, the step sounds may only be used by FM authors for Dark Mod FM's.

The tweaked settings won't become default until the new build of the pk4, so you'll have to add the tweaked settings in your Doomconfig.cfg file. Here are the relevant settings.

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_creep "-7"

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_run "4"

seta pm_stepvol_crouch_walk "-2"

seta pm_stepvol_creep "-5"

seta pm_stepvol_run "8"

How many individual sounds did they use for each material type? Are we going to add these to our existing sounds to allow more variety? (I think we should)

How many individual sounds did they use for each material type? Are we going to add these to our existing sounds to allow more variety? (I think we should)

I don't think our old sounds would blend well with these, and I would truly prefer not to mix and match. There is a distinct difference between them. Our old steps don't have that classic Thief 'ba-dump', heel-toe sound...they're just 'clunk', as if the foot is dropping straight down onto the floor. I had them all enabled when I first added the T2X steps and it really sounded horrid.

This set uses 4 steps for each material type (Thief Standard), and they cover all the sounds we already have ...plus quite a few we didn't.

There are also 'jump' sounds for every material. We just need to have the model setup to use them.

I still have some fine tuning to do...I'll also upload my test_footsteps map.

In regards to adding more variety, this shouldn't be too hard. :) In the Thief games, the AI used a slightly different set of footstep sounds...they were the players steps lowered in pitch so that they sounded a tad heavier. I'll whip those up and we can try them out.

It is best to keep them separate for licensing reasons, anyway. If the core mod assets are released under a GPL-like licence but the footstep sounds are under a "Dark Mod missions only" licence, then they will need to be distinguished clearly.

Ok, valid points. Maybe we could use our old footsteps sounds as impact sounds then?

It is best to keep them separate for licensing reasons, anyway. If the core mod assets are released under a GPL-like licence but the footstep sounds are under a "Dark Mod missions only" licence, then they will need to be distinguished clearly.

Core mod assets will also be Dark Mod missions only. We can't really stop anyone from using them, but we'll ask nicely. :)

I was under the impression that once we release TDM, it'll be ok for anybody to use our assets, so long as they put all their assets under the same license and all their code under the GPL (allowing other people to use their assets/code), which would help the community of modders who share their work, regardless of the engine or genre of their mod.

This is the first I've heard of our assets being for "TDM only"... perhaps we should start a discussion thread about it? <continued here>

While I like the new sounds, I don't like the heavy reverb on them. It makes them sound totally inappropriate in some environments (indoors vs. outdoors). IMO the reverb should be set up by the FM author for given areas, like it was in T2, not ingrained in the sound. Maybe they filtered it out somehow for indoors, but it seems like it would be easier to add it than remove it.

While I like the new sounds, I don't like the heavy reverb on them. It makes them sound totally inappropriate in some environments (indoors vs. outdoors). IMO the reverb should be set up by the FM author for given areas, like it was in T2, not ingrained in the sound. Maybe they filtered it out somehow for indoors, but it seems like it would be easier to add it than remove it.

Hmmm, I didn't notice a lot of reverb on them when I was playing them on my system...but when trying them ingame, that's when I noticed it more. I noticed reverb was more abundant in D3 after the 1.3 patch though...everything seemed to echo far more than I liked. I'll crank through them and pay closer attention. I was keeping more of a check on the volume than the other effects when I tweaked them. If there is too much reverb, I'll try to tone it down.

The one I notice most is the stone footstep. It could be that the new D3 is applying some default reverb, but I kind've doubt it, I thought that has to be set up in the EFX file.

I think it does apply a default level of reverb. There is a bit on the original file, but it sounds far more noticeable ingame. I'll look into it and see if there is some type of default reverb being set...and if there is, it should really be disabled.

It is possible that there's some reverb by default. Our maps have no EFX files, which is what defines the default reverb across the whole map, and the reverb for given areas in the map. I've written some guides on setting these up in the documentation forum, but no one seems to be using them yet. :(

I opened up the stone01 footstep file in a WAV editor, and there is definitely reverb on there. If you listen from time = 0.15 to the end, that's all reverb, and would sound appropriate indoors in a small to medium-sized echoey (stone walled and ceilinged) room, but doesn't sound good outdoors or in less reverby environments.

Not sure what the best way to get rid of that would be. You could crop the sound there, but then it sounds clipped. I tried applying a band stop filter to the reverbed section and it worked okay, but you could still tell something was there other than just the sound dying off.

IMO our SFX should sound like they were recorded in an anechoic chamber. Reverb and other FX should be added by the FM author based on the type of room. That's part of why T2 sound was so immersive. I think some of our original footsteps were pretty reverb-free and worked well in this respect.

That's bad news, if there is audible reverb in the sound file itself. There is no real way to get rid of reverb from a sound algorithmically, you'd need some kind of inverse convolution filter that was set to the specific reverb used, and would probably give you unpleasant results.

IMO our SFX should sound like they were recorded in an anechoic chamber. Reverb and other FX should be added by the FM author based on the type of room. That's part of why T2 sound was so immersive. I think some of our original footsteps were pretty reverb-free and worked well in this respect.

I don't find it as noticeable ingame, since there are other sounds happening around you. T2 footsteps had reverb added to them however, if not more than these footsteps. I've had them look for the original unaltered files, but they can't find them. I don't think the reverb is over the top really.

I'll see what I can do about toning down the trailing end though.

If you hold off on that, NH, I think I can apply a noise gate to get rid of the reverb.

I wouldn't worry about it too much ascottk. All the Thief games had a bit of reverb on the stone and sound tiles...even TDS did this. The volume of the steps are low enough that you don't really hear the reverb ingame unless you're running. :)