The Dark Mod Forums

Male And Female Templates To Come From Squawks This Weekend

Domarius

De-railed.

We could move it to that other thread I made.

Well, Brian said that animation was one of the most intensive things the engine does.

As for the number of frames, I think its the funamental tradeoff between processor time and storage space. If you only stored the keyframes in the anims, the file size would be smaller, but the game would have to interpolate and create the mesh deformations on the fly, which would take more processing power.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming it does linear interpolation, wouldn't it always just be interpolating between 2 frames for each channel? (so number of frames wouldn't have a huge effect on speed)

I agree. Interpolation between 1 and 10 is no more difficult or performance-intensive than interpolating between 1.1 and 1.15, assuming that this is what it is doing. Of course the only way to truly determine this is to perform testing.

• 2 weeks later...

Another weekend has gone by...what's the new ETA? Can she bundle up what she's already done and give you a copy, just so we aren't left with nothing if she suddenly becomes too busy?

I just turned around (I'm at work) and asked her. She said this weekend she'll figure out wether she can quickly finish off what she wanted to do with them, or just give you them because she's too busy.

She says she's sorry - she's only had a few small changes she wanted to make, but she's been incredibly busy with lots of crap due at work.

Well for one thing oDDity, we have completely different roles in the company :)

But oh god, don't get me started. She is the only female in the company, AND she's the only one who knows Flash (well, besides me, but I'm also a programmer and they need me doing that). Do you know the "economy" of having a lot of people work on similar tasks and be able to bandy together as one big voice and voice a problem and be listened to?

It's much harder to get listened to when no one even understands what you're doing, and that they've asked WAAAY too much for one person to do.

Much harder still when you're "just a girl"... fuck.

Just... don't get me started on this... I could say too much. Let me just sum up what's on her plate;

Sexism in the office,

Being over worked, and working till 3am to cover her arse (from said sexism),

High blood pressure and high stress (from all of the above - plus she suffers from heart palpitations),

Contract work outside of the office.

The good news is that I've been helping her out with what to say and what actions to take, and said sexism is gradually being quashed.

The really good news is that she is honestly passionate about doing great models for the mod, its just everything going on is really shit right now.

My opinion is, I'm amazed she's still done as much as she has.

Man, my thread de-railing detection meter is going off the scale!!!

BTW this is Australia. Also this is the kind of sexism that nobody notices, like the kind of racism blacks have to deal with every day that nobody realises. The insidious stuff that, unless you talk to the right people about it, is going to get dismissed. And yet hugely affects how well you perform. A kind of psychological torture. That term is no exaggeration, that's exactly what it is - my Dad is a professional psychologist, and described to me exactly what it is. Where nothing is ever good enough, and you are forced to try your best, and its still not good enough, in fact its impossible to be good enough, and gradually over time, you end up caving in.

I don't know about your particular sexism, but I think that often enough, people read sexism (or with racism it's the same) into things where none are. For example, some may be offended if you use the word worker because it is male. You either have to create a new word that is neutral or you have to say something like "worker and sheworkers" or even better the other way around otherwise the male word is in the front which is obviously also sexism. Phew!

Gerhard

I don't know about your particular sexism, but I think that often enough, people read sexism (or with racism it's the same) into things where none are.

Yes, there is a lot of that - the "is it because I is black?" fallacy popularised by Ali G, whereby people assume that someone's reaction to them is based on their minority status rather than something else entirely unrelated to prejudice of any kind.

I am, of course, not making any comment on Domarius/Squawks' situation, of which I am entirely ignorant. Sexism does exist and it may well be accurate in this case.

Heh... no that's "political correctness".

The kind of sexism and racism that keeps people repressed is the kind that is constantly there against your actions. You are ignored, you are blamed, and your acheivments are not appreciated. And no one can possibly imagine what this is like until they've been there with no way out, or at least been close enough to someone who has to deal with it.

Try to find out more info about the "Blue eyes exercise"

http://www.newsreel.org/guides/blueeyed.htm (click Synopsis)

I saw the actual documentary... you really need to, to see the full effect...

Some more info;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1132480

Just, if you get to actually SEE the video she does of the test with the two groups of adults, you get to see how you have no idea what its like. It's horrible, because its so insidious but its always there, and at the end you realise - these people get to walk away from all this, and the black people are saying "well, guess what, this is what we have to deal with every day"...

Wow... I found it online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu6jLOapt1o

It's totaly illegal but I don't care. Everyone should see this. Actually I saw one that she made in the 90's. But this one is from the 70's. I'm just watching the start of it and I think it's probably just as good...

...note the first guy to take the agressive stance is a black guy... he wants to give some of it back!

Ah damn, the video is incomplete. Seems that part 5 is not online.

What she's doing might seem fairly obvious and extreme - but if you can imagine this more subltley, every day of your life, always having your opinoin ignored in meetings, not having your important requests listented to, not having your work appreciated when someone of lesser talent and work is praised more - that's what all the girls who have been through this office and confided in me have been through. Squawks is the last one. That makes the office sound bad, but the main reason is that all the girls so far have been very inexperienced and unable to cope with this sort of thing. You'll find that mature girls have learned to deal with it. Once you understand what goes on, you'll also never wonder why there are barely any women in positions of power.

Anyway, I got started, so I'm gonna stop now.

I read the "blue eyed" synopsis, and although I sympathise with what it's like to be on the receiving end of universal contempt and derision (having grown up as an undersized geek in boys boarding schools), I don't see that this in itself proves anything about sexism. There are many reasons why somebody might be treated like that, and unpleasant as it might be, it is fallacious to jump to the conclusion that it is because you are female/black/whatever.

Again, previous disclaimer about not knowing your particular situation applies...

Well that's the thing - I'm trying to show you what's going on.

We've had 4 girls pass through the office, and they've told me exactly what happens in every detail. It's fairly consistent.

I'd love to explain further, but I don't think I should be talking about the internals of the company here. They all know I work on DarkMod, and even though we have a protected board for us developers, it's just too close to home for my liking. I'm gonna shut up now about anything specificaly relating to what's going on in my office.

We've had 4 girls pass through the office, and they've told me exactly what happens in every detail. It's fairly consistent.

And that is absolutely, definitely exclusive to the girls? Could men have experienced it too, but just not mentioned it (because of the social role that men have to be able to take it on the chin)?

Really, to test the sexism hypothesis scientifically, you would need to recruit simultaneously a man and a woman who were otherwise identical apart from their sex - experience, personality, etc would all have to be held constant. Then, if their treatment differed you could conclude that it was gender-based. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to conduct such a study, since no two people would ever be similar enough to act as a scientific control.

I'd love to explain further, but I don't think I should be talking about the internals of the company here. They all know I work on DarkMod, and even though we have a protected board for us developers, it's just too close to home for my liking. I'm gonna shut up now about anything specificaly relating to what's going on in my office.

Fair enough.

Yes, there is a lot of that - the "is it because I is black?" fallacy popularised by Ali G, whereby people assume that someone's reaction to them is based on their minority status rather than something else entirely unrelated to prejudice of any kind.

Exaclty that kind of thing. I once had a case where I opened a door in front of a a handicapped guy in a chairwheel. He was quite pissed off about it and started to insult me telling me that he can very well open the door for himself. I started to be also rude to him, which he didn't really expect and told him that I also open doors for "normal" people when I'm in front and somebody is coming behind me, because I consider this as normal behaviour to NOT throw the door in ones face just so he can open it for himself. At least we get along then and everything was ok. But a collegue of mine had a friend in the US who also opened a door for a woman and was consequently reported for sexual harrasment. The company removed him to another location to avoid a lawsuit, which is really ridiculous.

Gerhard

But a collegue of mine had a friend in the US who also opened a door for a woman and was consequently reported for sexual harrasment. The company removed him to another location to avoid a lawsuit, which is really ridiculous.

Reported by the woman he opened the door for? That's just unbelievably pathetic. He should have made it public who she was so that everybody could slam doors in her face, and then say "Oh, we have to do that otherwise it's sexual harrassment".

@Orb - I feel I COULD give examples that would at least put doubt in your head - but as I said, I won't.

Exaclty that kind of thing. I once had a case where I opened a door in front of a a handicapped guy in a chairwheel. He was quite pissed off about it and started to insult me telling me that he can very well open the door for himself.

That's completely different. Disabled people are frustrated with their disability, and want to deal with it by proving that they can function with everyone else. When you do stuff for them, you cut right into that sensitivity and drive home just how disabled they are.

It's not what you'd expect as a non-disabled person, you think you're doing something nice. But that's what's happening in their head.

Again, its something very difficult to understand unless you were in their shoes.

But once you know this, you can do them a favour by letting them enforce their self respect by letting them be. Admittedly its hard to know when they really want help or if they will still snap at you in spite of their difficulty, but that's life.

Here's the female template.

Some random things that she's telling me

• the left 3 are boots but right 2 are feet but detached
  • i know the body apart form hair and head ended up around 1800?
  • base mesh for female is 2,975
  • i have traingulated them but if they want i can take the triangles out?
  • have to reunwrap hair though cos i decided to add bits to it after
  • also with the girls torso i added in edges so that you can delete faces for a vshape neck top
  • the traingulation may look daunting if the other modellers aren't used to triangulation stuff for games but you can see where all the possibilities are for clothhing in base mesh

She said she hasn't sent the Thief or the Barmaid because she's still got some editing she wants to do with them.

post-10-1169655996_thumb.jpg

Again, its something very difficult to understand unless you were in their shoes.

Actually my mother was blind because of diabetes, so I know how it is to live with a handicapped person.

But once you know this, you can do them a favour by letting them enforce their self respect by letting them be. Admittedly its hard to know when they really want help or if they will still snap at you in spite of their difficulty, but that's life.

Well, it's not so clearcut, because some use the disabillity and complain if others don't pay attention fast enough. I treat handicapped people much the same as others, because I know from my mother that was what she always liked best. And most blind people I have met at that time were the same.

Gerhard