The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Targets

Fingernail

Rather than just making what comes to your inspiration, I'm going to start defining targets.

Right now, we'll be working on a texture set for a Thief2/Overlook Manse feel - a house with wood, wallpaper, metal, stone, books etc.

We are already a fair way there, but we need more flooring especially (wooden & shiny marble a requirement, as well as thick carpet).

So carry on, but don't go crazy with some woodsie theme stuff. Next up, I reckon will be more city themed. But first: house textures.

Don't appologize for being beaurocrat because this is exactly what a project lead has to be (among other things). :)

Rather than just making what comes to your inspiration, I'm going to start defining targets.

Right now, we'll be working on a texture set for a Thief2/Overlook Manse feel - a house with wood, wallpaper, metal, stone, books etc.

We are already a fair way there, but we need more flooring especially (wooden & shiny marble a requirement, as well as thick carpet).

So carry on, but don't go crazy with some woodsie theme stuff. Next up, I reckon will be more city themed. But first: house textures.

In T1/T2 the textures were connected with a sound. So if you selected in Dromed a wodden texture you got the wodden footsteps automatically as well as with a marble texture the marble footsteps. Is there some way in D3 to do this as well? I guess this would mean to create a surface which (hopefully) can have such properties as sounds.

Now do we already have some sounds to go along with the textures? Is somebody working on such sounds because we will really need them. :)

Gerhard

I think it's important that the texture artists try to work with a certain colour palette - it seems they already have the warm fire feel for the indoors lit with torches.

Now out doors should be decided on soon, like strong blues and purples or greens maybe (and yellows, for the lights), or something, like the Thief 3 concept artwork.

All good artists know that less is more. By that I mean, if the scene is filled with all sorts of colours, it loses its identity, but if there is a specific theme going on, it shows and it really has its own character.

People were saying "This is what Thief 3 SHOULD have looked like!" about Renzatic's screen shots, and I beleive the colour palette is why. We (well, the artists) should strive for a unique, and unified feel for this Thief world.

You can see good examples of this in a lot of 2D games. I think 3D games are only just catching up there, as the tools let artists express themselves more easily - a lot of older 3D game all sort of look alike, but now, with some of the nicer looking games, you can take a screen shot of it, and it is so easy to tell straight away that it is from that game, and not another game of that type. I think a good example is Need For Speed Underground. All the neon colours glowing in the dark, and the motion blurring. It's not the most realistic racing game out there (check out some of those new rally games), but it is certainly one of the prettiest, and best looking racing games out there.

(If I have people disagree with me about NFSU, then maybe I chose a bad example, but I hope my point gets across all the same)

Edited by Domarius

After investigating, I discovered that among other things, you got slightly shunned on D3W. :o

Aside from that, looking through the largely undocumented shader syntax, there are four lines that spring out:

wood

metal

stone

liquid

EDIT: flesh as well as glass are there too.

plastic also

I'm guessing these define the sounds made when walked upon and/or shot at. However, not only do we need more types of surface, we need the sounds to go with them.

Where is carpet, for instance? Doom with no carpets? Sacrilege! :angry:

After investigating, I discovered that among other things, you got slightly shunned on D3W.  :o

A little. :) I was looking through the forum sections but I found nothing suitable. :)

I'm guessing these define the sounds made when walked upon and/or shot at. However, not only do we need more types of surface, we need the sounds to go with them.

So we need a list of sounds that we will need. We should compile this list and post it in the design documents forum for reference.

Where is carpet, for instance? Doom with no carpets? Sacrilege!  :angry:

I guess a SciFi Mars research base has not so much need for carpets. :)

Gerhard

Obviously, ambient sounds (tied to certain locations/areas) will also be needed, and perhaps sounds for when our thief walks through a bush or walks through some tree branches (foliage), etc. I'd love to try and help out with some of the "foley artistry" work, but am not sure how possible that will be. What type of sound equipment will you be using?

As a side note, I'll probably be able to crank out a few sounds/ambiences from my Roland keyboard. I noticed Doom 3 actually had one part where it used an exact ambient sound that's in my Roland keyboard. My ROland sounds wouldn't be 'real life' sounds like footsteps, per se -- but more along the lines of music/ambience/atmosphere.

GoldWave software may allow me to layer sounds and tweak some of them, as well.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

I say go for it and send us some stuff to show us what you can do :)

I like the idea of "colliding with a tree object and playing a leaf rustling sound effect". Makes you beleive the environment is more real. I know 'cause this same thing happens in Ghost Recon. Good thinking.

I placed a few sound samples from my keyboard over in the Art > Sound > Sound Effects/Music > "Sound Effects, Ambience, Music" thread. Please check out that post:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?act=S...=findpost&p=779

Edited by Darkness_Falls