The Dark Mod Forums

Descent (into Cerberon) Mod

Ishtvan

I just saw this on D3World forums, it's a mod for D3 inspired by Descent (for those who don't know, 6 degree of freedom ship-to-ship combat, but more focussed on enclosed environments than wide-open games like wing commander). Good to know that more D3 mods are still alive, and it's got a public beta for download, too:

http://www.chmodoplusr.com/IntoCerberon/

That mod looks like fun, Ill have to try it. A question: Seeing that D3 can become a "flying" game so to speak, could this ability be transmogrified into an aspect of the Mod? I mean in the context of a flying potion, or carpet, or on the back of a flying creature? Imagine taking a magic carpet, procured in a prior mini quest, to a sorcerers cloud fortress or to an otherwise inaccessible mountaintop. Would this have to be some sort of "invisible" rail system or could the player (when using an item that enables flight) have total freedom of movement, as I did when I used noclip or whatever in D3?

Such a powerful item would need lots of balancing, I think, something to keep the Thief from parking above a group of AIs and whacking them all with arrows or mines or something, perhaps potions would be time limited while carpets and flying steeds would be less than steady mounts, swaying with breezes or the beating of wings.

I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be done. I don't see us doing it though. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I just saw this on D3World forums, it's a mod for D3 inspired by Descent (for those who don't know, 6 degree of freedom ship-to-ship combat, but more focussed on enclosed environments than wide-open games like wing commander). Good to know that more D3 mods are still alive, and it's got a public beta for download, too:

That looks pretty good. :) I liked to play Descent, back then, but it was a hell to control. I had a joystick which sepecifically was catered for flight sims, with 28 programmable keys and with that it was really great to fly through the mazes. Never did well with the keyboard. :)

I hope they also create cool maps with good textures, because I don't really like the Doom 3 look, but the video was still quite impressive and well done. :) Nice to see that other teams are also still doing something besides yet another Doom 3 mod. :)

This is definitely bookmarked and on my list. :)

Gerhard

That mod looks like fun, Ill have to try it. A question: Seeing that D3 can become a "flying" game so to speak, could this ability be transmogrified into an aspect of the Mod? I mean in the context of a flying potion, or carpet, or on the back of a flying creature? Imagine taking a magic carpet, procured in a prior mini quest, to a sorcerers cloud fortress or to an otherwise inaccessible mountaintop. Would this have to be some sort of "invisible" rail system or could the player (when using an item that enables flight) have total freedom of movement, as I did when I used noclip or whatever in D3?

IMO having a kind of magic carpent is quite possible, but is entirely different from that mod. A magic carpet thing, could be rather easily done with a platform that can be controled, but this mod is quite different, because the 6dof is radically different, and requires appropriate code to handle it. A free fly potion would be more like it, but why would we need that?

Gerhard

Yeah, I think there are several things that the engine is capable of, but would just turn out to be a minigame in a particular FM and not really part of core stealth gameplay. Any sort of vehicle could be used that way, D3 supports vehicles with very little modification. One could imagine a mission where you have to escape on horseback afterwords and you're set loose in a huge terrain area with a horse and AI chasing you on horseback (with some kind of fix so that they're pathing thru said huge terrain doesn't kill performance). I think that would be interesting and add to that particular FM, but in the end it's just a horse racing mingame.

I could also imagine an FM where you can pilot a rowboat from place to place and have to row into a Venician port city, dodging lighthouse lights and patrols on the docks and beaches. That's at least more stealthy than horse racing, but it's not that functinally different from swimming. I think maybe these things will get implemented by FM authors with some scripting and a lot of vehicle modeling/animating, and if they're good enough, they'll be shared among many authors and effectively become part of the toolset.

but why would we need that?

Just for kicks I guess. I wasn't thinking of it as a permanent part of the Thiefs armory or anything like that, rather something mission specific. I've been dreaming of this FM for a while, the Tower of Time, and Iwould like much of the mission to take require climbing (or flying) up the inside of an enormous tower

I could also imagine an FM where you can pilot a rowboat from place to place and have to row into a Venician port city, dodging lighthouse lights and patrols on the docks and beaches. of the toolset.

That would be a nice touch as well. Perhaps a mission in which the Thief must navigate the ancient sewer system of the City. Mmmm, ancient sewer systems......... :wub: