The Dark Mod Forums

Breath Indicator

Gildoran

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Spring's design looks good to me. Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest ones. :)

Just a possibility, maybe we could use pixel shaders to fade the view and make it hazier and hazier around the edges to simulate the tunnel vision that ensues with oxygen depletion. It would be a nice adjunct to a guage of some kind.

I like this idea too. It would make it REALLY obvious that you're drowning, plus it would look cool. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Why does my mana meter only appear when I'm underater? I must be a water-magician!

Just kidding, I think Spring's idea would work fine. Although if we can manage to do darkening of the vision, that would be cool too. On the other hand, the player wouldn't be able to see that if they were in a dark area. Worst case would be a pitch-dark area. Maybe if it was faded with a dark bluish tint around the edges, they would still be able to tell it was happening even in pitch darkness?

I managed to get the bubble idea working... :D

It's very distracting and hard to tell just how much air you have, but I wish to shamelessly gloat about my technical achievement with this texture! (can you tell I'm quite proud of myself?) I managed fake an alphatest-like effect without using the depth-buffer! The information about which bubbles to turn on/off based on the player's air is all stored in the bubble image.

Don't worry, I think Springheel's air meter would be the best way to go, and I'm not going to ask that we use my bubble texture. But until Springheel gets the meter working (I'd be willing to volunteer to implement it) mind if I upload the bubble meter?

I don't think anyone could complain about that desgin in terms of screen real-estate... :)

I think we should go all out with Doom 3's full screen effects - dizzyness when hit briefly, long term dizzyness when get hit by gas, get tunnel vision when drowning, maye something for when you're very low on health...

Something I think would be awesome... if a ghost or haunt suddenly screamed at you, the vision should go streaky and blurry (like bezerker pack mode in Doom 3) to mimick the loss of control from shock.

If no one likes that, then maybe at least if we implement ghosts, that could be one of their abilities - a shock attack that causes your vision to go blurry for a short while. I think it'd be pretty scarey not being able to see perfectly clearly where you're going, when you're already scared.

I like the idea of the tunnel vision as well, but I don't think it should kick in until you start losing health (as long as you have some breath left you're not in distress).

Actually, the red damage overlay kicks in already when you start losing HP (try it in God mode to see) so this effect is pretty close to already being there.

I'll do up the air meter before the Saturday CVS lock. I'm putting in the weapon icons/text at the moment (I'm getting tired of fumbling around for the right arrows. ;)

mind if I upload the bubble meter?

Now that I think about it, things like this should probably be uploaded as pk4 files. Otherwise I have to figure out what has been changed in HUD.gui and change it back before merging my version.

Just saw the bubbles in-game, as they are on CVS right now. It looks pretty nice!

Any reason why we can't have both Gildoran's bubbles and Springheel's meter? ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The bubbles are fun, but Spring's meter is less distracting..which fits with our design ethic for the hud. :)
Yeah, I agree. I wanted to see if I could make that effect, but as a player I wouldn't like it at all. ;)

Edit: I've just replaced the bubble meter with something a little more reasonable... It's not perfectly like Springheel's concept, but it's in the same style.

post-244-1169785188_thumb.jpg

I could easily do something like that... I'll go get a prototype working so you can see if you like it or not.

Edit: Ok, I've added animated bubbles. I've also made the bar a somewhat fuzzier, though I can easily tone it down. I'm not sure if I care for the animated bubbles, since the air meter would need to be made taller to really see them (and I assume people would have a fit if I did that), and even though I don't have them too bright, they're still a little bit distracting.

So...what's going on here? Are we trying to race to see who can finish their bar first? Or are we still sharing concepts? I'm half-way through putting together the bar that I posted yesterday, which everyone seemed to agree they liked, so why all these new versions in the last 24 hours?

So...what's going on here? Are we trying to race to see who can finish their bar first? Or are we still sharing concepts? I'm half-way through putting together the bar that I posted yesterday, which everyone seemed to agree they liked, so why all these new versions in the last 24 hours?

I've updated CVS and tested it out, it's still your concept Spring (blue bar on top), it just has tiny bubbles in it.

It's not that, it's the way the health display now fades into the middle that I dislike. It's much harder to accurately judge how much health/air you have left, especially when it's down to almost nothing and all you can see is a transparent blur.

I'm going to set it back the way it was...if you want to put it on FTP so people can see if they prefer that method that's fine.

It does?? Well there was no swimming in vanilla D3, so I had no idea. Oh you mean loosing your breath between airlocks... I swear the health didn't come back after you got your breath back... oh well.

Nope, my bad. I thought my health came back when I was playing the bonehoard, but you're right, Dom. Health lost is permanent. One less thing we have to change. ;)