The Dark Mod Forums

New Ai Footstep Sound Shader

New Horizon

I just uploaded a new sound shader to cvs. tdm_sfx_aimovement. This shader has the AI footsteps tuned a bit higher so the player can hear them. The settings are temporary at the moment. I was trying to figure out how to setup the AI to use this sound shader, instead of the players sound shader...but I couldn't find where the setting needed to be changed. Would someone who knows where this setting is mind changing it so the AI use the new shader please? Thanks.

I'm a bit confused...perhaps I am misunderstanding how these sound shaders work.

I have two sound shaders in the sound folder.

tdm_sfx_movement.sndshd - for player movement

tdm_sfx_aimovement.sndshd - for ai movement

The tdm_sfx_aimovement.sndshd is overriding the player movement sound shader. I thought that the sound shader for movement had to be assigned to the player or the AI before they could be used, but it appears that doom 3 is simply reading the values (human_carpet, human_tile) from tdm_sfx_aimovement first, and going with those values.

Is there any way we can tell the system to only use tdm_sfx_movement for the player and tdm_sfx_aimovement for all the rest?

The term sounshader doesn't refer to the file itself, but rather the definitions within the file. It's exactly analogous to material files and materials. If you want the AI to use different sound shaders than the player, you need to:

0. Create the new shaders (which you've already done)

1. name the individual shaders differently (which I don't think is done if you just named the file differently but kept the same individual shader names)

2. go into the AI def file and tell them to play those new shaders instead of the player's shaders (i.e., find the key for snd_footstep_carpet or whatever and replace the value with the ai_foostep_carpet soundshader)

0. Create the new shaders (which you've already done)

1. name the individual shaders differently (which I don't think is done if you just named the file differently but kept the same individual shader names)

2. go into the AI def file and tell them to play those new shaders instead of the player's shaders (i.e., find the key for snd_footstep_carpet or whatever and replace the value with the ai_foostep_carpet soundshader)

Ahhh, ok. I think I've got it now, that makes sense. Thanks. :)