The Dark Mod Forums

Frustrated Guard: Cut Throat

Domarius

I have three "frustrated" anims I want to do (one of them is a simple shake of the fist) and I'm just going to do rough versions of them first, just for general feedback, and because I'll improve on it the 2nd time around

This one is just a "I'm gonna cut your throat" action. It's rough, but just say whatever you want about it.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/movies/Do...s/CutThroat.avi

I'm not sure what the first part of the animation is about (pointing at the player "YOU!")? "I'm going to cut your throat!". This animation seems more appropriate for a cut scene or something & belonging more to a bar thug. & those pauldrons are a bitch, aren't they? <_<

I just imagined this would be one of the random things they'd do when frustrated. I'm trying to think of something more than just shaking the fist. That's why I'm doing up rough ones, to see what people think.
Yeah a frustrated animation is hard to nail aside from shaking fists. TDS had them stomping their feet & generally having a hissy fit which seemed more appropriate to a pampered 5 year old. Well what do we do when we're frustrated? Maybe pace back & forth, cross our arms, hands on the hips, hit something. etc.

Yeah if we're frustrated over a programming problem...

This is someone who wants to KILL someone else; a guard, who, with all his years of training, is being taunted by some talentless coward who just committed straight out theft, and has the audacity to stand on some unreachable location and look down at the guard.

When I thought of this, I imagined the guard saying "You BASTARD! I'm gonna slit your fucking THROAT!" but obviously with more historically appropriate text.

I've got two more ideas to rough up, so I'm not too hung up on this one. ..but I thought some people might think it was kinda usefull though... Oh well, that's why it's rough. I think it took me an hour. Or 30 mins. Not sure, wasn't watching the time. That's not really that long though, relatively speaking.

I would suggest avoiding animations that are so precise. The great thing about the fist shaking is that the AI could be saying anything, but with the gesture you just displayed...the AI would almost certainly need to say, "I'm gonna cut your throat". It's far too specific. We need very general actions. A simple 'stand defiantly and point' would work, as would having the AI strike his fist against the air...or do a single foot stomp, but not the hissy fit from TDS. :)

Don't know what happened to my first reply, but here it goes again:

I haven't watched the video yet, but the AI will be throwing things at the player as well. The frustrated gesture is just something to break it up. Pointing their weapon at the player, or slashing the air in front of them, or clenching their fist (but not necessarily shaking it in the air like T2) would all work.

I have three "frustrated" anims I want to do (one of them is a simple shake of the fist) and I'm just going to do rough versions of them first, just for general feedback, and because I'll improve on it the 2nd time around

This one is just a "I'm gonna cut your throat" action. It's rough, but just say whatever you want about it.

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/movies/Do...s/CutThroat.avi

just some feedback on the movements. If you look at the pelvis, it doesn't rotate that much as it should if you compare it to the rotation of the upper body. I would also hold the pointing pose a bit longer, making the pose stronger. The slit throat movement of the hand could be slower, and make it stop at his shoulder.

other then that it looks good ;)

Having watched the video, I don't think this would work very well. If I didn't have the description I'd have no idea what he was doing. It looks like he's throwing something rather than pointing, and then making an "absolutely no way" gesture.

Heh ok. I'll try and improve.

I appreciate how the shaking fist is nice and simple.

Pointing their weapon at the player, or slashing the air in front of them, or clenching their fist (but not necessarily shaking it in the air like T2) would all work.
Thanks for the ideas, I'll do those.

I was also thinking of a point - he just jabs his finger in the thief's direction twice quickly, that would be generic enough wouldn't it?

It probably would, but be careful about how you do it, because we can't be sure exactly where the thief will be when he is 'unreachable'. He might be across a chasm, up on a stack of crates, or down in a pit. I'm not sure how you could do a generic point that would cover all those.