The Dark Mod Forums

Getting Setup

jdude

Hi, I've been following the Dark Mod since it first went into production. I've always wanted to help but I never had a computer that could sufficiently fun Doom3. Recently I got such a computer and my interest in the mod was renewed by a post on www.planetdoom.com. I'd very much like to help out by doing what I'm best at, which is mapping. However I'm aware that you guys probably get a lot of offers from under-par and new mappers who's map quality isn't very good, so I'd like to make an "audition map" if you will, to demonstrate what I am capable of bringing to your team. Because I have only recently gotten a good computer I have only dabbled with mapping of older games [halflife 1, theif series, UT] and since I had to sell my older computer to buy this new one, I have no reference images to display.

My first question is: Is it necessary to have the dark mod installed? On your mod's wiki page there is no link to the download, instead it says "[insert link here]" and my second question, what are the texture and poly limits? My computer has the following specs: 1.87 ghz core 2 duo, x1950 256 pro, 1 gig of ram, and I would like to make a map which ran sufficiently on that. However I know not all people have such a good system. So is there limits of the resolution of textures or the source of textures? I would like to use 1024x1024 if possible because I know that is what the Doom3 engine can handle.

Thanks I look forward to your replies.

However I'm aware that you guys probably get a lot of offers from under-par and new mappers who's map quality isn't very good, so I'd like to make an "audition map" if you will, to demonstrate what I am capable of bringing to your team.

This is a good decision, we would have asked you for that anyway if you applied for beta-mapping. :)

My first question is: Is it necessary to have the dark mod installed? On your mod's wiki page there is no link to the download, instead it says "[insert link here]" ...

You don't need to have the Dark Mod installed. You can map with vanilla Doom 3 just as fine as far as creating textures, models and such are concerned, which is enough to show off your capabilities.

and my second question, what are the texture and poly limits? My computer has the following specs: 1.87 ghz core 2 duo, x1950 256 pro, 1 gig of ram, and I would like to make a map which ran sufficiently on that. However I know not all people have such a good system. So is there limits of the resolution of textures or the source of textures? I would like to use 1024x1024 if possible because I know that is what the Doom3 engine can handle.

The textures can be very large, although our texture guidelines describe an upper limit of 1024x1024 (mainly to reduce the overall texture file size). However, it's recommended to save your ultra-high-resolution textures for future purposes, so don't discard them right away. Textures with 1024 are fine for diffusemaps, for normalmaps and specularmaps you might consider to stick with 512.

The poly limits can't be carved into stone, because this heavily depends on the number of shadowcasting lights in your scene. Add one light in a stupid way and your framerate hits the ground. :)

Textures with 1024 are fine for diffusemaps, for normalmaps and specularmaps you might consider to stick with 512.

If you're going to keep one fullsize texture, it is better to keep the normal map rather than the diffuse. A 512 diffuse with 1024 normalmap will generally look better than a 1024 diffuse and 512 normal, in my experience at least.

Hi, I've been following the Dark Mod since it first went into production. I've always wanted to help but I never had a computer that could sufficiently fun Doom3. Recently I got such a computer and my interest in the mod was renewed by a post on www.planetdoom.com. I'd very much like to help out by doing what I'm best at, which is mapping. However I'm aware that you guys probably get a lot of offers from under-par and new mappers who's map quality isn't very good, so I'd like to make an "audition map" if you will, to demonstrate what I am capable of bringing to your team. Because I have only recently gotten a good computer I have only dabbled with mapping of older games [halflife 1, theif series, UT] and since I had to sell my older computer to buy this new one, I have no reference images to display.

Just create what you like you don't have to make a thief-style inspired map. The team will instantly see what skills you have. Feel free to post WIP shots of your map. It's always a good thing to see the progress of a map because you can learn from each other that way and it's also a way of how we work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been very busy with mid-terms and such. I don't have much to show at the moment but this small pic is what I'm currently keeping busy with.

picpreviewtg3.th.jpg

Sorry that it isn't something huge, but I'm lacking in the creative ideas department at the moment. If there are any suggestions please post them.

Okay I have some pictures, please post some constructive criticism or comments. Tell me if I'm anywhere close to being accepted as a mapper, please be honest.

I've only used doom3 textures, which is rather difficult because the textures to make an actual real-life like map are severely lacking. If I had to do a larger demo map I would have expanded on the whole lava idea, because the map in Thief 1 where you go in the city which has lava flowing through it was always one of my favorites. I didn't make furniture and what not to furnish the house there, because I felt it would be a waste of time because of a lack of textures and I didn't think it would contribute to much to the map itself. If I had more textures to work with there would have been more detail. I also chose a dark sky, because it looked stupid in a mars base or floating in hell, and I had to make some small props myself, such as those cheesy lamps :P .

84674535ma6.th.png

14546975go5.th.png

16336830ks4.th.png

90774575ps2.th.png

48116135dk6.th.png

newbitmapimageiy3.th.png

90294566rm2.th.png

63299961hh0.th.png

Looks like a neat little place, creative, and you seem to work fast. That means a lot to the team, because we've had too many offers of help from people which dry up before even getting started. From what I can see, ya got my vote. ^_^

And yeah, the Lost City was an awesome mission. Of all mission types, I think I love forgotten, ancient, mysterious locales best. It's the Tomb Raider in me. :wub:

Looks like a neat little place, creative, and you seem to work fast. That means a lot to the team, because we've had too many offers of help from people which dry up before even getting started. From what I can see, ya got my vote. ^_^

And yeah, the Lost City was an awesome mission. Of all mission types, I think I love forgotten, ancient, mysterious locales best. It's the Tomb Raider in me. :wub:

Thanks :) I did make it rather fast, in under 2 days. I really want to get going if I can, all I really need are textures and a direction and I will get started as soon as possible. I'm very eager at the moment because I'm currently on my reading break and I have no mid-terms or final exams in sight. How will I know if I've been accepted and how soon? I'd like to begin even tonight if possible. I am assuming that this forums is where you get judged on whether or not you can help the mod, is this correct?

...and done.

I noticed you were asking about texture limits.

We're in the midst of discussing exactly what format to go with at the moment. TGA is the highest quality, but also the highest filesize...something like 4 megs for a 1024 x 1024 texture...the same DDS texture is roughly 1.3 megs.

At any rate, all original textures should be in TGA, uncompressed. They are then stored in our hi-res repository for later release in a hi-res package, for those who will desire them.

Welcome, you're a beta mappers.

When you provide work samples quickly, you get accepted quickly. :)

Welcome, jdude! Good to have you on board. If that's what you can accomplish in two days with only Doom 3 textures, then I look forward to seeing what you can do with more time and assets!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thanks everybody! I'm very excited to be part of the team now. However I've looked all around and read a lot of posts but I cannot figure out where to get started. If someone could pm me with some directional information I would be very grateful :) .

Have you downloaded DarkRadient yet? I wish I could be more specific.

When you provide work samples quickly, you get accepted quickly. :)

I had simply assumed that he would have to provide the map itself for people to see for themselves before he could become a beta mapper. Considering the quality, it would have at absolute most delayed his status as beta mapper for a single day.

Thanks everybody! I'm very excited to be part of the team now. However I've looked all around and read a lot of posts but I cannot figure out where to get started. If someone could pm me with some directional information I would be very grateful :) .

I'll do that when I've finished typing this post. :)

I had simply assumed that he would have to provide the map itself for people to see for themselves before he could become a beta mapper.

Screenshots are sufficient for demonstrating mapping talent. That's always been the way mappers have been accepted, at least since I've been here.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

You'll need to download the actual mod, then install it and get a couple things set up with Dark Radiant, then you're in business. Download links and instructions are in the Beta Testing forums and on the wiki. I meant to have a good beginner setup tutorial ready, but it's not done yet, sorry.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif