The Dark Mod Forums

One Time I Accidently Hacked A Website

Unstoppable

:D Lol this is a funny story. When I was a noob at computers I use to go with my mom to work and log in. Well with netscape I use to go to the beastwars.com website. Somehow with flash I was somehow able to open up the html in the website and messed up a banner or something. I tried deleting the history and refreshing the page but what I had done was still there. It wasn't fixed till a few months after and I was never caught. lol

We should rather try to teach that poor guy what is funny and what not instead of ridiculing him... ;)

Damn it, I was searching for the clip from scrubs where JD tells elliot what actually is funny, but couldn't find it! :>

And thus we mock them...

About a week and a half back, I was hacking out an IM client and server, but whenever I killed the client the server would spam "null"--oh, wait... Even I don't give a damn about it! For the two of you who actually might care, the moral of the story is that sockets are now my mortal enemy.

I just also had such a moment, which probably nobody will find funny except me. I just tried to find a bug in some code for the mod which caused it crash on a certain line. I debugged, it and found all kind of other issues, I thought were the reason for it. i fixed all this issues, also removed some methods on an object that are no longer needed and still it crashed. Finally I realized that the crash was pretty simple. I added some code, with copy and paste, from some other place where it references a pointer. On the other place this pointer is already initialized, but not where I copied it to. So I fixed this and *BAM* it worked. So I spent a lot of time fixing all kind of issues which were totally unrelated, until I found the real culprit. Not that this is a bad thing, but I found it quite amusing neverhteless. :)

Gerhard

In the pre-Internet days, I remember friends of mine pulling off War Games schticks all the time, breaking C64 games, breaking into phone companies, way before information security meant anything. It was sort of funny at the time for what it was. They'd call up two people at the same time and connect them to each other, as if one called the other, "hello?" "Hello?" "who is this?" "Joe, who is this?" And then my friend would join in "Hello?" and 14-year-old hilarity insued.

It all seems pretty tame by today's sandards, although in some respects more hard-core when you figured out how laughably easy it was to break into people's phone records and company's financial records.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

the moral of the story is that sockets are now my mortal enemy.

We should join forces to combat the evil socket menace.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It all seems pretty tame by today's sandards, although in some respects more hard-core when you figured out how laughably easy it was to break into people's phone records and company's financial records.

The fun part is that some countries still use those very same phone systems. :) I remember those guides for re-routing numbers back in the day, and they included a disclaimer: "Please do not reroute 911. That's just not cool." Pretty scary stuff.

I read a fun book recently about that time called "Masters of Deception: the Gang That Ruled Cyberspace", and was surprised to see some people I knew of (friends of friends, anyway) made it into the book as legendary '80s hackers!

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

To demonstrate just how out of the circle I personally was, I can honestly say I don't remember offhand; I'd have to look it up again. It wasn't really *my* schtick (except for BASIC programming, lol, and breaking games, I liked trying that). I was just fortunate enough to have some friends in that world.

I remembered while I was reading that book that one of the stories sounded familiar, and the town where it happened was very close to where I grew up, so I asked some old friends and they were like "Oh, yeah ... that guy. I knew him." It's not really as impressive as I made it sound. In the book, there were three hacker "gangs", one in NYC (MoD), a German one, and a North Texas one. It's the Texas one I'm talking about; the main Texas guy they talk about in that book is the one I mean.

Of the people I knew, one guy, Chris Kao, was a Laotian immigrant building/selling computers out of his garage by 16, and he had a friend that seemed to be part of that circle - where I picked up all my game-breaking info, and another guy Drew Subke did a lot of cool stuff with phones and routing and digging around offsites. I gather they themselves weren't all that notorious, but enough in the circle to know others in town that were.

Edited by demagogue

It's the Texas one I'm talking about; the main Texas guy they talk about in that book is the one I mean.

The LoD was Texas based, maybe one of them?

I was just starting getting into computers around '90, I think I still have my C64 BASIC manual around somewhere. The worst thing I ever did was to hack our school computer in 8th grade I think- around that time students were generally more skilled in the field than teachers, and it was fun making them turn to help to us for once.

Oh, and I also wrote one dead simple snoop program to gather uni passwords once, just to see how many I got. It was so terrifyingly effective, I got scared and deleted it right away.

I was just starting getting into computers around '90, I think I still have my C64 BASIC manual around somewhere. The worst thing I ever did was to hack our school computer in 8th grade I think- around that time students were generally more skilled in the field than teachers, and it was fun making them turn to help to us for once.

LOL! Same here. I remember when I had typewriter training (which was part of the computer classes and I already could this anyway), and our teacher was so proud of his machines. He told us that this machines can not be broken because there is only the typwriting programm installed, and nobody can hack into the OS. I took this as a challenge and it really took me less then two minutes to break into the OS, it was ridicoullously easy. I just removed the disc from the drive, rebooted, and got an error message asking me to reinsert the disc or continue. I pressed continue and was in the BASIC interpreter. I did a few tests to determine the memory address of the screen and then proceeded to write a small space invader application while the others were doing their typewriting. :)

I mean this "hack" was really the first thing anybody would think of, but the teacher thought that his computers were secure because they only allowed that one disc to be loaded. :)

Gerhard

Haha, I did the exact opposite and booted it with a disc I made at home, because the password protection of the box was an executable called at the end of autoexec.bat (!)

If I had remembered what key to hold to skip it, I could even have saved me the boot disc...