The Dark Mod Forums

One Time I Accidently Hacked A Website

Unstoppable

That was the reason why he thought it was secure. Because the aplicationname was somehow hardcoded into the bootrom, so you couldn't boot any other disc, except that typewriter program. But he didn't think of not booting at all. :)

Well, to give the teacher som credit, he never claimed to be an expert and usually always turned to us when he had a problem. He was selected as our computer teacher because he was the only one who at least had an computer (C64) and thus was more in the know then all the others. :) He was a rather nice guy and never acted the prick as some other teachers did. He just accepted that there are topics where his pupils knew more then the theacher and even made fun of it with us about it. Some teachers could get very picky in such a situation.

Gerhard

Io has a moon? :blink:

Heh... I'll always remember the time I got caught on the local administrator account at high school. I had my back to the door (l33t hax0r tip: never have your back to the door) and he walked in to fix a printer and saw that I had icons on my desktop. (Our accounts were restricted so that we couldn't access the desktop for some reason, and he'd removed all the icons from them. Don't ask me why.)

I wasn't doing anything bad, I was just trying to troubleshoot the printing problems. For some reason he considered me to be a security threat. :laugh:

Nowadays I am more responsible and would not dream of attempting something like that. And no, I'm not going to tell you how I got onto the local admin account. :) (It wasn't just guessing passwords, there was an exploit involved.)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Io has a moon? :blink:

Of course I-O has a moon! What do you think sockets are? :P

Heh... I'll always remember the time I got caught on the local administrator account at high school. I had my back to the door (l33t hax0r tip: never have your back to the door) and he walked in to fix a printer and saw that I had icons on my desktop. (Our accounts were restricted so that we couldn't access the desktop for some reason, and he'd removed all the icons from them. Don't ask me why.)

I wasn't doing anything bad, I was just trying to troubleshoot the printing problems. For some reason he considered me to be a security threat. :laugh:

I've had several similar experiences in high school.

Of course I-O has a moon! What do you think sockets are? :P

Ack, I didn't get that until you spelt it out. Doh! :D

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I never hacked anything or know the first thing about it. I remember back in the late 80's when my brother bought a modem (300 bytes/sec I think, maybe it was a fast 1200) and would use the phone line to make the computer call into the local campus network thing, I was amazed!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Okay I confess. On the old XT PCs (with monochrome orange and black monitors) in my highscool class, we used Word Perfect's "Open Dos Shell" feature to jump into DOS and play MS Flight Simulator 4 and Sim City, when the computers only booted up with the options to run Word Perfect and a few other programs..

I never hacked anything or know the first thing about it. I remember back in the late 80's when my brother bought a modem (300 bytes/sec I think, maybe it was a fast 1200) and would use the phone line to make the computer call into the local campus network thing, I was amazed!

Hehe, I remember a similar feeling. My friend Jen had me go over to the adminstration building to register for something called an "email". Whatever, what am I going to do with that? You wouldn't have believed my disbelief and excitement when I was informed I would then be able to use a "modem" to get on the internet............... FROM HOME. :blink:

The only thing I've ever "hacked" (and I use the term loosely) were protected map files for WarCraft III... On WC3, people like to make multiplayer maps with passwords so you can save your progress between games. Of course, I take offense at the notion of storing important multiplayer information client-side, so I would bypass the map protection and edit the JASS scripts to give out passwords for maxed-out heros, then distribute the maps to anybody who wanted them.

I also once had the chance (though I didn't take advantage of it) to take control of student unix accounts at college. It was due not to any skill on my part, but rather to complete idiocy of whoever setup the accounts. I was taking a class on unix, and each student had a web account and a unix account. The web account's username was the student's name and its password was the last 4 digits of their social security number. The website contained a bulletin board from which you could find out other student's names, and the username/password for your own unix account. But the username for each student's unix account was their initials followed by the last 6 digits of their social security number, and it was possible to list the users logged into the unix machine... I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

Ack, I didn't get that until you spelt it out. Doh! :D

You'd better look out, there's a serial punner in our midst. :laugh:

Okay I confess. On the old XT PCs (with monochrome orange and black monitors) in my highscool class, we used Word Perfect's "Open Dos Shell" feature to jump into DOS and play MS Flight Simulator 4 and Sim City, when the computers only booted up with the options to run Word Perfect and a few other programs..

Everyone I ever met in my high school used Microsoft Word (blegh!) to access the "restricted" filesystem. You would not believe the number of copies of Counterstrike and Starcraft we would find already installed. :blush: By the way, if you are ever considering purchasing Novell to secure Windows, don't bother; it's a bloody waste of everybody's time.