The Dark Mod Forums

Surface Dialog

I did my best, but I couldn't stick perfectly to the guide...

The dropdowns and entry fields along with their label are so different in width that I would have had to narrow the window significantly and this in turn would've violated the HIG, because one should stick with window proportions being around 1.5.

But heck, it's a guide after all. :)

To mention this here as well: The LightInspector is now toggle-able too.

• 2 weeks later...

General question: should we still keep the old code of the legacy Surface Inspector, Patch Inspector and TexTool? At the moment it's an option in the registry whether the new or the old dialogs should be used.

I'd personally prefer removing the old code for the sake of code cleanliness and because they're inferior (IMO), but I'm unsure from the mapper's point of view.

SneaksieDave? angua? Beta Mappers? Opinions?

We shouldn't be keeping old versions of stuff around "just in case", this will just lead to a maintenance nightmare and code bloat. If there are reasons why mappers still need the old versions, we should look at how the new versions can be improved to incorporate the required functionality.

The old code is gone now. :)

I went through the whole 3000 lines and searched for leftovers and was able to remove another few hundred lines of orphaned functions in other files.

On this occasion I saw that the TextureBrowser must be one of the oldest parts of GtkRadiant, because the code is really messy and some functions seem to be duplicates of gtkutil methods (which presumably were added later on). I won't touch it of course, as it's doing its job, I just wanted to post my findings here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• Ansome

Finally got my PC back from the shop after my SSD got corrupted a week ago and damaged my motherboard. Scary stuff, but thank goodness it happened right after two months of FM development instead of wiping all my work before I could release it. New SSD, repaired Motherboard and BIOS, and we're ready to start working on my second FM with some added version control in the cloud just to be safe!
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer  »  DeTeEff

I've updated the articles for your FMs and your author category at the wiki. Your newer nickname (DeTeEff) now comes first, and the one in parentheses is your older nickname (Fieldmedic). Just to avoid confusing people who played your FMs years ago and remember your older nickname. I've added a wiki article for your latest FM, Who Watches the Watcher?, as part of my current updating efforts. Unless I overlooked something, you have five different FMs so far.
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply