The Dark Mod Forums

A Lot Of People Buying Doom3 Just For This

PaleRider

Ha, ha...I already have D3 but never installed it due to the way the gameplay was discussed by the players and the barrage of spawns that apparently kept producing throughout, etc. I like FPS's but that one kindof turned me off. I had been of the mind that I regretted buying it right away. :(

The teriffic result from this purchase is the fact that I'm ready and waiting for The DarkMod to be completed so all those wonderful modders out there can make us Thief addicts some very happy players with this engine that the Team is putting together!

Just thought I'd add my support and state that many of us are looking forward to this eventual product and what the community will be able to produce with it. Cheers!!!

ps: Thanks N.H. I'm posting! :D

I, on the other hand, bought Doom 3 just so I could work on this mod. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I buoght Doom 3 mostly for the game, but I was quite dissapointed. I also bought it as a kind of tribute. When D1 and D2 came out I only used pirated copies because I couldn't really afford to buy expensive games. So I decided to buy D3 and Q4 as well, even if it where the worst game ever. :) I also bought Doom Ultimate Collection, so now I have legal copies of D1 and D2 as well and I still enjoy playing it every now and then. Can't say the same about D3, but Q4 is great. I also bought Q3 some years ago, and though I also enjoy it, I like Q4 much more because of it's single player aspect.

Gerhard

I didn't buy it, I downloaded a warez copy to work on the mod, and never played it. I didn't even have the content on my system, just the exe and essential editor files.

The way I seen it, we were selling a lot of extra copies of the game for id software by making this TC, so why should we have to pay for it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The way I seen it, we were selling a lot of extra copies of the game for id software by making this TC, so why should we have to pay for it.

that's one way to look at it. I just bought it to see what they produced with the engine and it was the collectors edition, which meant shit, the extra was just a tiny statue :angry:

Althought i have "the making of" book which is very nice. The engine(not the game) still lives because of the few mods/maps.

You should play Prey and Quake 4 then. It's so much better gameplay.

i have, Quake 4 was indeed better in gameplay which also had some vehicles. But the space setting didn't do me that much. But prey is imo far better in gameplay and atmosphere even though it's also a space shooter.

Prey was a bit on the short side though. Q4 is rather similar to D3 concerning the level design and art, most of the time, but that's not a problem for me. The gameplay is much improved though, because it really keep sme going on, with all the tasks and changing objectives. In D3 you were pretty much on your own, and I never really felt motivated to go on, while in Q4 I do. And I definitely liked the bits with the vehicle. :) Reminded me a lot of HL2 in the canal with the boat. I wouldn't have minded if that part would have been a tad longer. :)

I wonder wether there any mods focussing on that vehicles, because I could imagine that this might also yield some fun gameplay.

Gerhard

yeah i think one of the reasons why Quake 4 singleplayer didn't leave a better impression was because of the leveldesign. For me it just didn't feel that much alive compared to Prey or even Doom. The colors are very grey/brownish (like Quake 2) and the outdoor environments where quite empty.

Reminds me a lot of Starship troopers. I'm not saying it was a bad game because things like voice-acting, having team npc's and vehicles were good elements but the art direction was not that strong to me.

To jump back in a minute...I have Q4 and I really enjoyed it...I felt it was pretty good with the various objectives and the times of team play worked pretty well. It sure had it's moments and I'm afraid to say that in parts (dealing with rocket shooting spiders mainly, I had to go for 'god' but the rest I played it out myself. In fact, I'm stuck in the last part on my way to escape in mech machine trying to deal with mech spider...keep getting killed :( I've tried several times, ducking below under pillers, etc. and shooting up at it..so far I've failed every time! I also really enjoyed HL2 a lot...just fell in love (so to speak) later with the antlions, LOL The dune buggy rides and airship were lots of fun moments for sure! I made it through all that one straight up..of course I have to play easier modes but that's OK too. I bought EP1 but have not installed it yet...got envolved with other games mostly. I bought Paraworld and that was pretty neat...some good gameplay in that one and graphics were pretty decent too! However, I wasn't able to finish it due to difficulty of play in 14th level..and I think there are 15 but something was supposed to trigger a 16 level of somekind of happenig but I have no idea what that's about. As much as I did get out of the game however, I was glad I did get to play it.

I've been playing Doom/DukeNukum since they first came out and that's what got me hooked on FPS's. :D I just wished they've been able to get Duke Forever out...loved his quips! I also bought a long time ago a pinball game that had a table with his style of items interwoven into it and was fun to play...name was "Balls of Steel" and pretty well done as were the other tables in it also. :) Ahhh..memories, heh.

I didn't buy it, I downloaded a warez copy to work on the mod, and never played it. I didn't even have the content on my system, just the exe and essential editor files.

I took the reverse approach. I was willing to buy the engine (if I could put it to good use), but not the game. I pirated the game from a friend (I refuse to download) to get me access to the editor, with plans of eventually mapping. The second reason was because I wanted to play Resurrection of Evil, but I couldn't be assed to buy the main game. I always intended to buy Doom 3 if I felt I had or could get my money's worth from it. Making maps, working on a mod, or even just enjoying the campaign would have sufficed, but alas, none of these have happened yet. Seeing as how I lost my pirated copy (and the only one I can get is for Linux), I'd love to get my hands on a stripped down copy until I can fucking finally get a legal Windoze disc. Mind pming if you can help, oDDity?

I have to say that i had my doubts about Doom3, i begin to play it with a piraty copy, i liked it very much and then i heard about The dark Mod that it used the doom3 engine and because i was interested in make part of the project i tought a had to buy the game and so i bought it, the Doom3 and the expansion. Doom was the first game i begin to mod, now that im at in the thirty's i can realy give the valour at a man that make is game´s engines, free source, and just for that my, 50€

i have, Quake 4 was indeed better in gameplay which also had some vehicles. But the space setting didn't do me that much. But prey is imo far better in gameplay and atmosphere even though it's also a space shooter.

Quake 4 is good! Prey S@CK$ JUST GREAT! Blah! The had the innovative idead of gravity etc (really I wanna see how on earth did they do that?) and just spoiled it great time! Domm 3 is much greater than Prey and a little less than Quake 4

Possible yes. But at the moment it's not likely, since D3 is still not open. Also at least some original assets are used by the mod and I don't think it would be legal to create a redistributable including these assets. Also currently it's not really a priority, but I hope that someone might strip it down to the bare minimum.

Gerhard