The Dark Mod Forums

Help In Thief 1

Aceyalone

yes it simulates the top-end hardware for the OS, so you have sound and you have video, for example an NVidia g-force MX 420 becomes a 3dfx and a creative live 5.1 became a creative AWE under win95

only thing needed is memory and HDD, make sure that you have the max hdd capacity, for win95 SE its 2gigs per HDD and 64mb RAM its explained in the link i mentioned earlier:

Sofar i've succesfully installed, dos 6.22, win95 and 98 on a pc running XP pro and it runs smootly even full-screen :D you can even use the internet :D

Its a bit of a hassle however when you get the hang of it its reliving old times (especially the drums of win95)

make sure you have a bootdisk to install dos,win95 or 98 next to the OS disks.

if you dont, you can get them here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

for installation of win95 & 98 SE you need to install DOS 6.22 prior to installing the wanted OS. (you can probably find it somewhere floating on the internet since it still isnt open source!) Its about 4 floppies

Edited by MadhatteR
"Curiouser and Curiouser" cried Alice!"

Said it and above, but when got to the download page it said it was Vista-Business Vista-Ultimate etc but no Vista-Home ready! Well I got suspicious cause if it would work fine with Vista-Home it would say that it was just Vista Ready and not seperate Home and other editions!

Also I am not downloading it if I dont know (or someone posts me :P ) for sure what am I doing. I downloaed Vmware and I uninstalled it having particularly done nothing with this one. Well dont want anymore needless system installs.

Besides I think I innovated and managed to be the first guy that installed Thief 2 and run it without any tweaks!!!!!!!!!! YES GUYS I CVAN NOW PLAY THIEF 2 ON VISTA!!!!

What did I do? Just installed Thief 2 in minimum install (seems this catchy idea works on all games that are uncompatible with new OS) patched it to 1.18 version and nothing more. For the record I have also Thief 2 copied (yes its a sacrilege I know it but I managed to played it earlier that way)and crack seems to works damn fine!

Leave dual-boot and virtual machines for those who do wanna to break their minds and crap their systems. Just have fun Vista Theif users!!!! I am gonna play T2X now! Never played it! See you guys gonna go to Angelwatch now....

PS: At least so far so good! Hope this fun is not going to be spoiled!

PPS: Else I am gonna throw a cake in Bill Gate's face....

Oh crap!

Well the fact is that is much better now (before it crashed after 3 - 4 seconds) and now it crashes on specific spots!

e.g. First mission in Thief 2, you can wander around for hours but when you are about to open the door and the opening sound should be heard game crashes!

Oh my! I have been so troubled about playing Thief on Vista that I got sicked of thief (or Vista). Imagine you guys havent began creating that mod.... or more ironic the ion storm would release Thief creating toolset to the public (nor Thief 3 runs on Vista)

*sigh* This seems to be THE(ief) END

Edited by Aceyalone

Did you read the link I posted about getting Thief 2 to run on Vista? I doubt it's a very serious issue...likely just a setting...like disabling dual core CPU for Thief...might just be the vista drivers for your specific video or sound card. Are you using the default drivers that vista installed? If so, go to the manufacturers website and download the newest version to see if that fixes things.

If it's crashing on a sound...it might be sound card issues. What type of card is it?

Did you read the link I posted about getting Thief 2 to run on Vista? I doubt it's a very serious issue...likely just a setting...like disabling dual core CPU for Thief...might just be the vista drivers for your specific video or sound card. Are you using the default drivers that vista installed? If so, go to the manufacturers website and download the newest version to see if that fixes things.

If it's crashing on a sound...it might be sound card issues. What type of card is it?

Oups I honestly forgot about the post.... :blush::blush::blush:

I have Audigy 4 and Vista beta drivers (the last ones) ---I was w8ing for creative to realease the normal ones and then I would try to reinstall since I cannot even record things. My sound card is half recognised ---- And I am running on 7900GX2 on 100 drivers (also latest)

Irrelevant, but look at this for big laughs!!!

Well really tried to tweak thief's cfg files but I saw nothing such as "Multicore FIx"

Also FAQ at ttgl were helpful from zero to none! I tried even safe texture method and a lot of such stuff but really I saw no improvement.

I have a feeling that besides multicore stuff, also sound (ahh Vista... why change things when they are fine as it is...) plays a significant role in this crisis! I mean that a vast majority of crashes come when a sound is a bout to be played! Graphics seems to play no role and work just fine!

Well Vista Audigy drivers still are at a beta stage and honestly even if I dont know if u can disable sound (not just muting the game, but DISABLE it) Thief cannot be played in such conditions when sound played such a role in that game (something that shows the quality of its - a game addressing you in all ways possible!)

Now I would really need help 'cause I have a feeling (call me nuts if u like) that even at a later release of Vista Audigy drivers the prob might still remain!

Why did you buy vista? it hant been out long enough for microsoft to find the trillions of bug they made and now you know that it has troubles with old games too! Im not buying vista for at least a year, probably longer....too risky if microsoft is involved.

edit: i also looked at the angry german kid and...wow.... some asylm is gonna get sued for not keeping thier charges under control.... hey, if he is in a war, and someone kills him, he will be so pissed off that he will stand up like a theif zombie and kill whoever shot him!

Edited by Lord Vergider

-Lord Vergider, The lit torch

Funny last words:

-Lets split up, we'll cover more ground...

-Hey yall watch this!

-The odds of that happening have to be a million to one!

-Why is the rest of the Star Trek landing party wearing a different color?

-Pull the pin and count to what?

-Which wire was I supposed to cut?

-What duck?

and finaly:

"Why yes, a bullet-proof vest!"

(Last request before the firing squad.)

Why did you buy vista? it hant been out long enough for microsoft to find the trillions of bug they made and now you know that it has troubles with old games too! Im not buying vista for at least a year, probably longer....too risky if microsoft is involved.

edit: i also looked at the angry german kid and...wow.... some asylm is gonna get sued for not keeping thier charges under control.... hey, if he is in a war, and someone kills him, he will be so pissed off that he will stand up like a theif zombie and kill whoever shot him!

We were seeing this with a friend of mine and we had been commenting on him.

Just imagine him ruler of this world! He would have nuked all earth, destroy mankind and then maniacly laughed because he is the best!

-> Really dont wanna be out there when he will buy UT 2007 and finds out that his pc doesnt play it

(for such long loading times in UT 2004 this would seem norm)

-> Also never wanna be around when he playes UT and a power cut-off occurs! NEVER!

PS:As for what I bought VIsta, well I dont play only Thief! Still wanting Test Drive Unlimited, Crysis and such stuff!

PPS: Still w8ing for any comments on how I shall ever playing Thief again....

Edited by Aceyalone

As for the youtube movie, in the time that it take him to start up UT, i can start it, play it, and get board and quit. as for getting theif to run on vista... your screwed lol jk i dont know that for sure.

also that german kid will spend more money on keyboards then it would cost to upgrade the computer and im sure he would have less rage if it started up faster.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

We got off topic? good! it is the off topic section isint it?

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

That's one of the paradoxes that philosophers have been debating for hundreds of years now. :)

Since this is the off topic forum, a thread that becomes off topic belongs here, because it is off topic. But if it belongs here, it can not be off topic, because it means that something is NOT on topic and thus it can not belong here. :)

Gerhard

Lol, I cant imagine Socrates trying to solve the off-topic section problem!

No offence but I am still wondering:

Will I ever be able to play Thief 2? Again? :(

well, if someone decide to make a dark mod campaign designed to be identicle to theif 2 then yes, you will play theif 2 again... otherwise its still up for debate.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

That's one of the paradoxes that philosophers have been debating for hundreds of years now. :)

Since this is the off topic forum, a thread that becomes off topic belongs here, because it is off topic. But if it belongs here, it can not be off topic, because it means that something is NOT on topic and thus it can not belong here. :)

That's the fallacy of equivocation. There are two different "off-topics" you are referring to. The first is off the topic of TDM, and the second is off the topic of the thread. The Greeks did this a lot, actually; it's really annoying.

Edit: I don't mean to spoil people's fun; I just have fun spotting and pointing out fallacies.

well, if someone decide to make a dark mod campaign designed to be identicle to theif 2 then yes, you will play theif 2 again... otherwise its still up for debate.

Yeah, like that will happen!

Well the only reason I wanted to play thief is not the campaign (not that I didnt want to) but I wanted T2X and why not (?) fan missions, in which I have never played even a single little tinish noobish one!

Ah, never mind! As I said I got so sicked of trying that now I have not any urges to do anything! Maybe another try when normal audio drivers come out, but only this far!

Or else I am gonna doom myself playing Crysis (LOL if this ever is gonna be doom!)

------->As for philoshophy yeah! I have caught myself doing this a lot! Its a way of life here! And especially when I was young and I was seeing my parents doing this I was wanting to get in the conversation and add my point of view too (well I was saing bulls**t but ok, I liked it..... :D )

--------> OK now it got multi-multi-multi-multi thread!

Edited by Aceyalone