The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 Fan Missions

Lord Vergider

Ive decided to get theif running and try to beat it this time. ive watched my dad beat it but not myself. well... if you count the ctrl-alt-shift-end cheat "winning" then i guess i did... lol

i also like theif 2 fan missions so im stating this topic. post the name of your favorite fan mission t1 or t2 but not t3. if you want add your own rating or tell why you liked it and let others enjoy it too!

ill start:

favorite FM: Summit

why?

no enemys, just mountain climbing fun! (its a mountain and you use grappeling hooks to climb to the summit)

go find it and play it (i wont post a link as i have neglected to read forum rules and i dont want to break any by posting links just yet :ph34r: )

-Lord Vergider, The lit torch

Funny last words:

-Lets split up, we'll cover more ground...

-Hey yall watch this!

-The odds of that happening have to be a million to one!

-Why is the rest of the Star Trek landing party wearing a different color?

-Pull the pin and count to what?

-Which wire was I supposed to cut?

-What duck?

and finaly:

"Why yes, a bullet-proof vest!"

(Last request before the firing squad.)

Hands down, sepulchre of sinistral! (and I don't even like zombies!) This was simply a masterpiece. Great gameplay, architechure, textures, theme, and most of all, puzzles. The puzzles were all very original and clever, are there any more FMs like that one? I'd love to try them!

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

Ya know i have to say that deciptive perceptions was good too...no details just download it, turn off the lights and play......

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

and the calandra series but i cant get thief 1 to work at all so no calandra's cistern... just legacy.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

I can't get Thief 2 to work under Windows XP. And yes, I've tried all the FAQs. :( Thief Gold works fine though...

I did manage to run Thief 2 under Wine on Linux (was really quite easy), but the system mouse pointer jiggles about in the middle of the screen when you're inside a level. I was wanting to play T2X, but the extra mouse pointer is too distracting (it completely kills the atmosphere) so I haven't bothered to download it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

hey crispy what is wrong with theif 2 maybe someone had the same problem and can help.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

I've looked but I cannot find this one guy, I think he is from Poland. I thought it was Istvan Varga, who also makes good FMs, but I contacted him a while back and its not him. This guys FMs were really masterpieces IMO, the two he made that I know of were pretty standard maps, mansion breakins, but this guys placement of objects, timing of AIs, and scene construction were really good. He really used the AIs as puzzles, of course all Thief AIs are like that to an extent but man he really nailed it. You would be zigging and zagging through shadows to avoid two guards along a path, and wham, a third would appear at exactly the worst moment and scare the crap out of you. Not just once or twice a map, it was built in.

Of course, I cannot remember this guys name or the names of the maps, I looked at Cheap Thief and nothing rings a bell. :.^(

Edited by Maximius

My two favorite FMs are Ominous Bequest and Keyhunt, both by Eshaktaar. He does exactly all the sorts of things I like in FMs, lots of puzzles and secrets and attention to detail; on more than one occasion, I'd think to myself "if only he had done this, it'd be brilliant", then I'd go check, and he had done it. Eshaktaar's maps are heavy on puzzles, which seem to be carefully tweaked to just the right difficulty - whenever there's a puzzle I might not figure out on my own, there's usually a hint somewhere in the map. Also, Ominous Bequest gave me perhaps the biggest scare of any game I've ever played... Monsters jumping out of the dark in D3 isn't shocking or scary. Mother's Room is.

I also really enjoyed Into the Maelstrom, Old Friends Old Comrades, and The Focus. Into the Maelstrom was beautifully constructed. I really enjoyed the cramped, comfy feely of Old Friends Old Comrades. And the AI of the The Focus was great, both in terms of placement and behavior.

hey crispy what is wrong with theif 2 maybe someone had the same problem and can help.

I honestly don't remember, it's been a while since I tried it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just played keyhunt. i like puzzles but as you can see from my sig, and a previos poll, im about as stealthy as a lit torch. keyhunt was fun becuase i didnt need stealth. any other good puzzle maps?

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

I can't get Thief 2 to work under Windows XP. And yes, I've tried all the FAQs. :( Thief Gold works fine though...

I did manage to run Thief 2 under Wine on Linux (was really quite easy), but the system mouse pointer jiggles about in the middle of the screen when you're inside a level. I was wanting to play T2X, but the extra mouse pointer is too distracting (it completely kills the atmosphere) so I haven't bothered to download it.

try installing virtual pc with win 98 se (if you still have the disks, you can run thief then and play it full screen... just an idea :D ... well it works ... if you have xp pro that is... if not you are screwed :(

"Curiouser and Curiouser" cried Alice!"

try installing virtual pc with win 98 se (if you still have the disks, you can run thief then and play it full screen... just an idea :D ... well it works ... if you have xp pro that is... if not you are screwed :(

Jesus Christ! How many have problems on Thief anyway???? And what wrong with this game? (Well I have seen MUCH worse, but still this thing is annoying!) An unofficial patch could be done?

Jesus Christ! How many have problems on Thief anyway???? And what wrong with this game? (Well I have seen MUCH worse, but still this thing is annoying!) An unofficial patch could be done?

I don't have any problems playing thief 1 or thief 2 on xp, however i am running xp pro myself. I just gave a possible solution to crispy's problems. Its a hassle to try to play old games on xp. One other game i wanted to play was magic carpet 1 and 2. well it ain't running so i had to use virtual pc :( on the other hand i can run other games such as thief, only problem i was having with thief2x on xp pro was the ligos video driver, i had to reinstall it every time i wanted to play the mod, not that much of a hassle, however irritating altogether. A game like thief 3 however ... now that one kept crashing in xp pro :D but that was a known issue :D just had to pass another way to the harbour!

greetzzz

"Curiouser and Curiouser" cried Alice!"

I've looked but I cannot find this one guy, I think he is from Poland. I thought it was Istvan Varga, who also makes good FMs, but I contacted him a while back and its not him. This guys FMs were really masterpieces IMO, the two he made that I know of were pretty standard maps, mansion breakins, but this guys placement of objects, timing of AIs, and scene construction were really good. He really used the AIs as puzzles, of course all Thief AIs are like that to an extent but man he really nailed it. You would be zigging and zagging through shadows to avoid two guards along a path, and wham, a third would appear at exactly the worst moment and scare the crap out of you. Not just once or twice a map, it was built in.

Of course, I cannot remember this guys name or the names of the maps, I looked at Cheap Thief and nothing rings a bell. :.^(

Maximus-

Was it a courthouse with a marble portico and big pillars at the beginning? Did it have some teleport puzzles/traps and such with wide halls and long shadows? If so it sounds like Timon's first map "Timoteus" and yeah that guy has some whack maps. As for Polish authors I see PinkDot and Bukary are here (which is very good) but the only other guys I know of are Gregarious, Vk, Jerico Barimen, and Ernie - each has only a single map under his belt but you can give those a shot too.

Maximus-

Was it a courthouse with a marble portico and big pillars at the beginning? Did it have some teleport puzzles/traps and such with wide halls and long shadows? If so it sounds like Timon's first map "Timoteus" and yeah that guy has some whack maps. As for Polish authors I see PinkDot and Bukary are here (which is very good) but the only other guys I know of are Gregarious, Vk, Jerico Barimen, and Ernie - each has only a single map under his belt but you can give those a shot too.

I don't think so, Kiln, I don't remember a courthouse and no teleports, thanks for trying though. Its not Timoteus, IIRC, and sadly the other names are not ringing any bells. I don't have T2 anymore actually, I got REALLY burnt out on it after four straight years of manic playing and replaying, so I cannot check. The last I spoke with this guy, he was a little miffed because his FMs had not receive much acclaim, and he told me he was getting out of Thief mapping. Man, if this guy could be found, I would suggest he would have a lot to offer the Mod. The only way I'll ever remember is if I played his one map again, the scene of a servants lonely room, no bed only a blanket on a floor in front of a fireplace, was such a melancholy picture I remember it to this day. Thats what I meant by this guys object placement skills, he made a few pieces of junk on a dirty floor tell a persons life story.

Edited by Maximius

Well you know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. and what is a video game except thousands and millions of pictures.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

Just played keyhunt. i like puzzles but as you can see from my sig, and a previos poll, im about as stealthy as a lit torch. keyhunt was fun becuase i didnt need stealth. any other good puzzle maps?

:blink: Hey man, some of the best Thief experiences are the times you pull of some stealthy stunts, you have to practice! Work on your timing, study shadowy areas and how they affect your light gem, and experiment with the AI to learn their limitations. And rule number one in my book: CONSERVE YOUR RESOURCES. Do not use flashbulbs on human AIs when you don't have to, cause they will +kill+ the undead not just blind them. If you can get down a hallway without using a water arrow on a torch, take the time to do it, cause you may need every single one and some holy water to take out an undead boss at the end or something.

At the hardest levels, and you will have to download some mods to get this, look at Cheap Thief, you cannot even be spotted once by the AIs, you get no KOs and definitely no Kills, and on some settings I think even a loud noise will end the game. This is where it gets really fun too. :) There is one FM by Christine Schneider, a great and prolific author, I think its the nightfalcon ,where you have to sneak into a crypt filled with vampires and steal a wand or something. Holy crap, those things had their hearing turned all the way up, which is fine cause they are vampires, but it was nearly impossible to Ghost the crypt. I didn't have a ton of moss arrows either and I actually wasnt able to, I got in ok but had to use a noisearrow to draw the vamps back into the crypt so I could sneak out. Then I went back and fought them, I had to draw them up from the basement one by one, I had to just trigger ONEs suspicions enough to come upstairs, you have to just get into his field of vision or make a *small* noise at the right distance, cant let him see you completely until hes at the top of the stairwell cause otherwise he call his friends, and there were like six in the crypt. And each was hard as hell, they would kill you fast in their human form and then when they took enough damage, they turned into a bat and spit blood at you. I loved that mission for the fact it made simple broadhead arrows as valuable as a gas arrow!It took me a few days of quicksaving and strategising but I got them all finally. :)

I'm not knocking puzzles, I like them too as long as they are in line with the story and all, and I like "action" FMs too that call for some sword and bow work, but you've gotta get some stealth. Its the name of the whole genre, First Person Sneakers! Now get in there champ, and start making no noise! :)

Edited by Maximius

:blink: Hey man, some of the best Thief experiences are the times you pull of some stealthy stunts, you have to practice! Work on your timing, study shadowy areas and how they affect your light gem, and experiment with the AI to learn their limitations. And rule number one in my book: CONSERVE YOUR RESOURCES. Do not use flashbulbs on human AIs when you don't have to, cause they will +kill+ the undead not just blind them.

Lol, to find that out it took me some serious time! Still why flash bombs kill undead?

Edited by Aceyalone

Are there any decent T2 FMs in which you are not a mystery detective, a grave robber, a tomb raider, a ghosbuster, a secret agent, or with no jumping puzzles, undead or stupid woodsie stuff.

Are there any where you're just like, well, a thief?

Missions like the warehouse or bank jobs from T2 (or any of the T2 missions really apart from trail of blood)

That's why I don't play FMs, all the FM makers seem to be obsessed with he stuff listed above.

It seems there aren't many T2 fans who make FMs, its all T1 fans.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site