The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 Fan Missions

Lord Vergider

Lol, to find that out it took me some serious time! Still why flash bombs kill undead?

I think the logic is that since most undead fear the sunlight because it burns them up, the bulbs do the same but you need a couple of them. One good tactic for clearing a level of undead is to get them to chase you, all of them at once, just make noise and keep running like a maniac, then get to a safe spot like a ladder and flashbomb them to pieces as they cluster underneath you. Of course, stuff like this is what made the harder settings necessary after a while, I shouldn't give too much away to the new player...

Are there any decent T2 FMs in which you are not a mystery detective, a grave robber, a tomb raider, a ghosbuster, a secret agent, or with no jumping puzzles, undead or stupid woodsie stuff.

Are there any where you're just like, well, a thief?

Missions like the warehouse or bank jobs from T2 (or any of the T2 missions really apart from trail of blood)

That's why I don't play FMs, all the FM makers seem to be obsessed with he stuff listed above.

It seems there aren't many T2 fans who make FMs, its all T1 fans.

I think there is a museum FM or two that are straight up break ins, that guys whose FMs ive been raving about was strictly break ins too IIRC. I mean, there has to be some out there, but I agree most are kind of ghostbustery or otherwise "themed."

Part of my problem with stealth is that my speakers are dead, and i dont have headphones, and i dont realy like sound anyway.

and for the night falcon series i watched my dad play it it was realy good. in one FM series there was a magic dagger you get in one mission that makes you harder to see. if you have it out and are in perfict darkness an enemy can walk right into you and not see you they just keep trying to walk. im playing ominous bequest right now.

-Lord Vergider, The lit torch

Funny last words:

-Lets split up, we'll cover more ground...

-Hey yall watch this!

-The odds of that happening have to be a million to one!

-Why is the rest of the Star Trek landing party wearing a different color?

-Pull the pin and count to what?

-Which wire was I supposed to cut?

-What duck?

and finaly:

"Why yes, a bullet-proof vest!"

(Last request before the firing squad.)

try installing virtual pc with win 98 se (if you still have the disks, you can run thief then and play it full screen... just an idea :D ... well it works ... if you have xp pro that is... if not you are screwed :(

I already did exactly that, actually, except I used VMware, and T2 refuses to run on the video card that it emulates. :(

If I get the urge again I'll check out Virtual PC I guess. Didn't realise they'd make it free.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Are there any decent T2 FMs in which you are not a mystery detective, a grave robber, a tomb raider, a ghosbuster, a secret agent, or with no jumping puzzles, undead or stupid woodsie stuff.

Are there any where you're just like, well, a thief?

Missions like the warehouse or bank jobs from T2 (or any of the T2 missions really apart from trail of blood)

That's why I don't play FMs, all the FM makers seem to be obsessed with he stuff listed above.

It seems there aren't many T2 fans who make FMs, its all T1 fans.

Yeah indeed! Theif 2 had Thief-like missions! But Thief 1 while it was the first and more loved also had a better plot! So its normal to have more Thief 1 fans than 2! Besides Thief 1 introduced us a Thief in an innovative world (who would have thought that a thief would fight zombies, skeletons and a devil-like boss) and that world rocked because it was the most revolutionary I have ever seen (really needed tons of fantasy to come up with this) and the most addictive!

So creating fan missions wandering in ancient ruins and battling with monsters really is not bad since its one of the attributes we knew Thief. And woulb be a "sacrilege" not to create missions addressing that. Problem is that creating a zombie-like missions seems more fun for the creator. This fallacy (word borrowed from my good friend Nyarlathotep hehe :D :D :D ) seems to have concluded in lots of Tomb Raider FM rather than Thief FM!

You are right that are very litle pickpocketing, espionage missions but the other ones are good as well!

Edited by Aceyalone

VMWare is crap for gaming. I think I already mentioned that?

Well, you didn't mention it to me. :) Of course you're right, it sucks for gaming.

Problem is that creating a zombie-like missions seems more fun for the creator. This fallacy (word borrowed from my good friend Nyarlathotep hehe :D :D :D ) seems to have concluded in lots of Tomb Raider FM rather than Thief FM!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I was and always have been a Thief one fan, I never liked Thief two though. I thought the entire mechanical robots and such was kind of cheesy and that prevented me from ever being able to really get into the game. I wasn't very big on Thief 3 either because I had trouble getting myself immersed in it like I did with Thief one, however the Cradle level managed to make me like that game. But I think what all the newer Thiefs were missing was the creativity that was in the first one. The levels in the first one were brilliant, every level contained a unique environment with something new which I didn't expect.

Well, you didn't mention it to me. :) Of course you're right, it sucks for gaming.

I tried to use it as a cheap console replacement for my kids. Would make the system maintainenance much easier, but it didn't really work. Only the most basic games would run, and even those have issues with the sound, so it doesn't really work well for that kind of thing.

Gerhard

i would just like to say that the best theif 2 mission isint a fan mission, it is sabatoge at soulforge. it was so f***ing huge it was amazing.

also, if you download your FMs from the keep of metal and gold, has anyone ever wondered why the rating goes up to 11? i think it is because lots of things only go to 10 so 11 is one better. komag correct me if im wrong =)

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

i would just like to say that the best theif 2 mission isint a fan mission, it is sabatoge at soulforge. it was so f***ing huge it was amazing.

also, if you download your FMs from the keep of metal and gold, has anyone ever wondered why the rating goes up to 11? i think it is because lots of things only go to 10 so 11 is one better. komag correct me if im wrong =)

Hehe, try Island of Iron and then come and say that! :)

It's definitely because Komag is a Spinal Tap junkie. ^_^

Isn't Bukary from Poland?

His Old Comrades, Old Debts was classic and had some guard zig-zagging, at least the opening puzzle, but it seems the one you (Maximus) are thinking about is full-FM sized, not this one.

Anyway, a lot of the FMs I like seem underrated ... Ab Dr. Dragon, Lord Alan's Fortress, Trickster's Gem Mine series, Saturo Returns Home, Art of Thievery, Emilie Victor. I like an immersive story (which for me means actually not too story-heavy or it starts flagging under its own weight), but even with that good gameplay is still essential.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Part of my problem with stealth is that my speakers are dead, and i dont have headphones, and i dont realy like sound anyway.

I just got some great headphones with a microphone! im gonna play some theif now.

Funny last words:

-Hey yall watch this!

-What duck?

and finaly:

Isn't Bukary from Poland?

His Old Comrades, Old Debts was classic and had some guard zig-zagging, at least the opening puzzle, but it seems the one you (Maximus) are thinking about is full-FM sized, not this one.

Anyway, a lot of the FMs I like seem underrated ... Ab Dr. Dragon, Lord Alan's Fortress, Trickster's Gem Mine series, Saturo Returns Home, Art of Thievery, Emilie Victor. I like an immersive story (which for me means actually not too story-heavy or it starts flagging under its own weight), but even with that good gameplay is still essential.

I dont think its Bukary, I know and love his work too though. Darn I wish I could find his name, all I can remember is that its something +like+ Ishtvan Varga, cause I mistakenly contacted him once thinking he was the other guy because the name fooled me.

I dont think its Bukary, I know and love his work too though. Darn I wish I could find his name, all I can remember is that its something +like+ Ishtvan Varga, cause I mistakenly contacted him once thinking he was the other guy because the name fooled me.

Someone mistakenly contacted me once thinking I was Istvan Varga, might've been you but I forget since it was a long time ago. I haven't authored any FM's though. :)

Someone mistakenly contacted me once thinking I was Istvan Varga, might've been you but I forget since it was a long time ago. I haven't authored any FM's though. :)

AHHHHHHH!!!! That was me! I think it is Varga then, I hope anyway. Let me check real fast.

Yes, Ishtvan, I think that was him, I had it backwards, thinking you were him and he was someone else and I was Lola Falana..... :unsure: .....ummm......anyway, I looked at some screenies from Vargas's one mission "Out for Revenge" and it looks right to my memory. I remember that gas arrow over the fountain in the front of the mansion and how freaking hard it was to get it without getting busted.

I'm going to email this guy and see if he is still around, the last I tried he could not be found.

Edited by Maximius

try installing virtual pc with win 98 se

I just wasted my entire afternoon setting this up, and I get the error: "Your video card is not compatible with Thief 2." Exactly the same thing as with VMware.

FSDLKJSDKJSDFEITJWOIEG. Just launch already, damnit!!!