The Dark Mod Forums

Looks Awesome!

Vega

Hey guys, I've been following the mod for a while now and finally decided to get off my lazy ass and register for the forums. I most likely won't be an active member but I just wanted to tell you that you're all doing an awesome job and I can't wait to see a release! Good luck and keep up the great work :)

Thanks. :)

Of course we'd like to release as soon as we can... but not before it's done, and there's a way to go yet! Though I am continually amazed by the team's productivity. Just as I'm thinking things are starting to slow down a little bit, along will come ascottk or Ishtvan or someone else and they'll create/implement half a dozen new major assets/features all at once. :blink:

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Just as I'm thinking things are starting to slow down a little bit, along will come ascottk or Ishtvan or someone else and they'll create/implement half a dozen new major assets/features all at once. :blink:

Yes. That's really a good thing about the team, because it's large enough there is always bound to be somebody who does something, so even though you cannot prevent individual members to slow down for various reasons, progress is still made most of the time. Which also helps to keep the motivation going. :) I think that this is a big problem for smaller teams, because once it stops it's quite hard to start working again.

Gerhard

• 1 month later...
Glad to know folks like you are there. I wonder how many others lurk around, thinking positive thoughts but never sharing them?

Hey Komag, wondering where you've been. (Schwaa here-time for a name change)

I haven't been lurking, just waiting until I had a computer that could actually run D3, just got the game and imported a few models and anims into Max last night to play around.

My first mod is going to be a Doom one, gotta get rid of those 6 sided pop cans, they look like Crisn@p. Then I'll start working on other stuff.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well I decided I'll put in my two cents also.

I've been watching this mod for a long time also, and it looks really, really great guys.

Also, I mentioned this mod to Emil Pagliarulo, who worked on the original Thief games (and now works for Bethesda) on another forum (bloodandshadows.com) he goes to talk about Oblivion, and he said he thinks it looks great. In case you didn't know about that I thought it might be a little further motivation that one of the original designers knows about and follows your mod.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

wassup everyone! long time since i last checked the forums.. :)

the screen shots available are really cool, i get very euphoric everytime i visit the site!

btw, i noticed my account still have access to the rest of the forum. if you guys like, you can take me off, since i'm not a contributor for a long time now. Unfortunately college has taken all of my time, i even moved to a place nearer to the campus (where i don't even have a computer, btw).

keep it up guys! if someone need any of those models i've done (all of them unfinished, i must add) just let me know.

Diego, I'm a late comer here but if you have models that just need a bit of finishing up to get in the mod you can certainly get them to us. I'd be happy to get one ready here and there, by the time rlease hits they might all make it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Hi! Welcome back... though I don't believe we've met. :)

Definitely send over anything that you think might be of use, unfinished or not! It would be a shame to waste any work unnecessarily.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Dram! how's going! :D

ok! is there an email i can send to? i think i uploaded some of it.. even unfinished.. maybe someone can check what's there? here's what i have:

-closet

-chair

-noblewoman

-thug/townsfolk

-a cattail (sort of a plant someone asked me to do)

-table

-bunch of roof tops

-some railings (to put on stairs and stuff like that)

-and a burrick on a very early modeling stage... probably not useful. (the other models are totally modeled, by unfinished i mean untextured, missing low poly version, missing normal map... this sort of thing)

it's not exactly "a bit of finishing up" to get in the mod.. its a looooot of work! make a low poly version, normal map it, texture it, articulate it, animate it... in case it's not an inanimated object, of course.

It won't really be entirely usable as a playable game until it's feature-complete. So a demo-version wouldn't really be worth it, I'd think. Not to mention it would mean they waste time working on that instead of the release version itself. I think they're better off just focusing on finishing a full, releasable project.

And then, when it is finished, there will already be a few test and beta-mapper maps all ready to go, which will serve sort of like demos (on top of being missions we get to play) of what sorts of things we can expect from it. Until then, I think some screenshots and videos of progress are good enough. Well, that's my opinion as an outsider to the project.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, sparhawk wants to do one, but I don't expect such a demo to be released any time soon. The AI in particular still needs a lot of work before it's ready to show. I'd hate to put out a demo with substandard AI and have people think that the AI was going to be present in that incomplete form in the final mod.

I just want to add that I don't think our AI is "substandard." I probably shouldn't, but I take a bit of offense at the implication. The problem is that one of our original goals has been to build a more realistic AI that doesn't "cheat" as much. The hard truth is that in every stealth game you have ever played, the AI knows where you are, and simulates not knowing to build up the suspense. In ours, we are trying a completely different approach of having the AI not know exactly where you are, and actually try to figure it out. Making multiple AI figure out where the player is by searching in the game world is computationally intensive. Unfortunately, in the real world, brains do such tasks using massively parallel neural networks. Trying to balance all the ideas we have, while keeping the game frame rate up on a one or two procesor machine is a challenge.

Overall, I think Crispy's point is that right now the AI is buggy, because we are adding systems frequently rather than working on game balancing. For example, we haven't "normalized" the AI visual acuity values vs the map lighting levels yet. So for example, on a typical map, an AI can appear very ineffective because the AI's visual accuity makes them unable to see in dim light into places where in real life the lighting level is high enough to see.

There are also some pathing bugs due to the nature of the Doom3 pathing system that we want to address before a public release. I think I'm going to make resolving some of those my next priority.

The term "substandard" was my refering to the fact how people would perceive it, if we would release it in it's current buggy state. Not that they are substandard per se. :) I think before the redesign they were already pretty good, so I expect that they will be even better after that is finished. :)

Gerhard