The Dark Mod Forums

Best/Classic Thief Gold/ Thief 2 TMA FMs

KhAoZ

a link would be helpful... that forum is huge...

Use the advanced search function, or just go to the section titled Thief Fan Missions. It's huge, but has clearly labeled sections.

Alternately, visit http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/ for a listing of fan missions that are sorted by name, ranking, date of release..etc.

Not in any particular order. I could list tons more good FM's but this is a good start.

Order of the Vine

Saturio returns home

Calendras Cistern

Calenras Legacy

Lord Edmund Entertains

The Vigil (LEE sequel)

Autumn in Lampfire Hills

Ranstall Keep(BW)

The Varylix Obelisk

The Seventh Crystal

The Enterprise

The Art of Thievery

LAS1 Lord Ashton

LAS2 A nghts stroll

LAS3 Escape!

LAS4 Revenge

LAS5 In Search of Leon

LAS6 The Secret of Sir Stefan

LAS7 A Winters Night

LAS8 The Wedding of Sir Andre

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

I haven't played as many FMs as other people, but some of my favorites would probably be:

Ominous Bequest (this is pretty close to my idea of the perfect map)

Keyhunt (I also consider this nearly perfect)

The Focus

Rowena's Curse

Into The Maelstrom

Saints and Thieves (since you like OMs, you may want to try this first)

Old Comrades, Old Debts

Through No Vault of my Own

can someone tell me some of the best/classic thief gold and thief 2 FMs that i might play since generally all the ones i have played as of now are all crap.

Island of Iron, parts one and two are magnificent, high re playability

Ominous Bequest, top notch

anything by Christine or Komag

This is really pointless question. Everyone's taste is different. I like very few of the so called 'best' FMs, since they nearly all contain irritating amounts of woo.

You just have to download FMs and try them for yourself.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

There are extensive discussions, recommendations, lists of best of the best, categorization by genres etc, on the ttlg forums.

don't expect too much help from him. In my experience, he simply derives pleasure from telling people that their post is either stupid, irrelevant, or misplaced (although I do agree that this post would be best asked on the off topic section) he often spends more effort explaining how you wasted his time than it would require to answer the question.

my favorite FMs are The Sepulchre of Sinistral and The Mystery Man (part of a series for TG) if you don't like riddles or undead, these might not be for you. I'm a sucker for clever riddles though. But if you just want well done, fun gameplay, then I recommend:

Benny's Dead

Raid on Washout Central

and any of the others already mentioned (particularly the 7th crystal and the calendra levels)

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

I didn't know I posted sufficiently enough to warrant being classified as such. My favourites are; lampfire hills, 7th crystal, calendra *, yandros's *, kfgecko's *, lord edmund+, DoG, Lorgan's web, Stronghold, hush hush sweet harlot, durant, stowaway, Inheritance, mages area, gatb, lord rothchest, docks, cauchemars, bloodstone prison.

I never understood what people saw in CoS or Washout central.

And then I have memories of great missions but have no idea what the missions are, maybe somebody remembers what i'm talking about. first, a huge city which is time-limited, has a gem-store with tons of gems, an iron foundry, a big cathedral at the end to which you can swim through canals, clothes hanging on the streets, and lots of zombies at the end. second, some place where it seems cold, i come unto this street with some mysterious building, there's a vampire inside whom i kill, inside the building some elevators, magical potion things, several floors, but not expansive, outside the building, and across the bridge i think is some hammers, and under something the entrance to some thieves' guild.

great artists: gonchong, kung fu gecko, strawman, deep qantas, purah, yandros, schwaa, *fox*, jonquil, trimfect, nightfall, yametha, mokkis, saturnine,

ok i downloaded Calendra's Legacy.... now how do i run FMs... i know i need a loader. can someone point me to a good loader to use and give me instructions on how to use it? i was looking at Dark Loader from

www.thief-thecircle.com . is that a good loader to use? and if it is, how do u use it?

Edited by KhAoZ

You can get either GarrettLoader or Darkloader (both newest versions) from Metal and Gold (in my sig) on the Essentials page.

Darkloader is probably a little better if you only plan to play Thief 1/G/2 FMs, but if you plan to play Thief 3 FMs you will need GarrettLoader (which can play Thief 1/G/2 as well)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

You can get either GarrettLoader or Darkloader (both newest versions) from Metal and Gold (in my sig) on the Essentials page.

Darkloader is probably a little better if you only plan to play Thief 1/G/2 FMs, but if you plan to play Thief 3 FMs you will need GarrettLoader (which can play Thief 1/G/2 as well)

ok.... but tell me how to use it please??

edit: never mind i got it to work.

Edited by KhAoZ

ok. is that mission calendra's cistern worth reinstalling thief gold for? i mean is it better to play that and THEN play calendra's legacy?

Yeah, it's well worth playing and it's a good thing to play the sequel chronologically.

The Inverted Manse I think it's called. Well this mission is so good and the guy who made it earned a spot on the Thief 3 development team. Nuff said.

and that has a prequel too from what i saw, its called Cult of the Resurrection. anyone know if that is worth playing?

The Inverted Manse I think it's called. Well this mission is so good and the guy who made it earned a spot on the Thief 3 development team. Nuff said.

I don't want to belittle sledge's effort on this mission, but Inverted Manse just wasn't my cup of tea, in neither playstyle offered. The architecture is gorgeous and the blue room trickery impressive, the overall DromEd handywork very good as well - but I haven't had much fun playing it. Somehow the gameplay didn't click.

I had the same problem with other high-rated missions, like Calandra's Legacy or Deceptive Perceptions. The upside is that the wealth of FMs offers something for every taste - Into The Maelstrom, Equilibrium, Saints and Thieves and Rodamill were right up my alley.

Oh, one little gem (if you like puzzles) is Temple of Tides by Nameless Voice, were he shows off what his scripts can do. Just be sure to get the patches or a fixed version and don't look at the spoiler thread on the forums.