The Dark Mod Forums

Darkradiant Promotion

Seems like DarkRadiant is already getting attention on other Doom3 related sites: have we done any promotion or anything? If not, that's pretty neat:

http://doom3.planet-multiplayer.de/download.php?view.733

It's german, it's something like this:

"Every Doom3 mapper should try this one, the new DarkRadiant. It's already offering some sophisticated featuers and several bugfixes. A small overview and the download below:"

Btw, I found this site by typing "doom3 skins file" into google. :D

I occasionally do a google search; there are a lot of links to discussion on the forums (these ones, TTLG etc), plus SourceForge and various mirror sites, and discussions about GtkRadiant. Many of the forums are in foreign languages but they seem to be Doom 3 news and community sites.

That's cool. :) We have been promoting on our site and at TTLG, but I haven't gone much further than that. Looks like the word will carry itself. :)

That's the way I prefer things -- a good product does its own advertising. We couldn't really promote Darkradiant outside TDM until it can do everything that DoomEdit can, otherwise there would just be endless flames about "Why is there no particle editor/map compiler/shadows?"

That's the way I prefer things -- a good product does its own advertising. We couldn't really promote Darkradiant outside TDM until it can do everything that DoomEdit can, otherwise there would just be endless flames about "Why is there no particle editor/map compiler/shadows?"

:) Yeah, I agree. It will be interesting to watch who is using it for Doom related mapping though. Folks have used GTKRadiant rather religiously, even with all the limitations. I'm really pleased with how far we're pulling ahead. It's really too bad that the doom 3 map compiler is closed source though...it would be a great addition to compile the maps within DR, rather than have to swap back and forth.

Could it be set up to select something in DR and it automatically saves the map, opens DoomEdit, loads the map, compiles it all done, etc.? Beforehand we could select the configuration of where DoomEdit is located, what folder the maps are in, and anything else

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 9 months later...
All publicity is good publicity. :laugh:

Note that the version they provide is 0.8.1 :( I sent them a message to update their download page, hopefully someone reads it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Are you referring to the german site in the topmost post? Nevermind that, that was back in March 2007, before we started the DarkRadiant website at sourceforge.net. I assume most people will come to the sf site over google nowadays.

Are you referring to the german site in the topmost post? Nevermind that, that was back in March 2007, before we started the DarkRadiant website at sourceforge.net. I assume most people will come to the sf site over google nowadays.

Yeah, but can't hurt for them to either update their entry (and point it to SF instead of hosting a local, outdated mirror), or remove their entry.

Maybe they even do some special news post on their frontpage to bring in more promotion :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 1 year later...

We've been forked. :) The XreaL guy tr3bor aka Robert Beckebans started maintaining a customised version of DarkRadiant for his XreaL project (XrealRadiant), and seems to be regularly merging in stuff from our repository.

On MODDB someone asked if they can use DR with Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, I told them to ask here.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

WET is based on the Quake 3 engine, so I would imagine not. IIRC you guys stripped out all the non-Doom-3-related functionality, right?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

WET is based on the Quake 3 engine, so I would imagine not. IIRC you guys stripped out all the non-Doom-3-related functionality, right?

Damn right - no point in trying to maintain all kinds of games at once, it only leads to mess, unless you have the perfect modular design in your hands.

I think DarkRadiant is mainly for Doom 3 and possibly Quake 4, although I don't even have Quake 4 so I don't know the differences between Q4 and D3.

We've been forked. :) The XreaL guy tr3bor aka Robert Beckebans started maintaining a customised version of DarkRadiant for his XreaL project (XrealRadiant), and seems to be regularly merging in stuff from our repository.

I noticed that a while ago during a Google search -- it would of course be nice if any bugfixes they made which were also relevant to the DR codebase would be submitted as upstream patches, but we can't force them to do that.

I noticed that a while ago during a Google search -- it would of course be nice if any bugfixes they made which were also relevant to the DR codebase would be submitted as upstream patches, but we can't force them to do that.

We can always ask though, which I doubt anyone has as of yet ;)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.