The Dark Mod Forums

Why Windows Vista Is Evil

sparhawk

How many of you guys are actually using Vista? I've been using it for 5 months without a glitch or a freeze or a crash, I've had no compatabiltiy problems with any hardware or software or drivers, and I have no performance problems (though fair enough, I do have a beast machine)

I don't see the point in this thread, a bunch of guys who don't use an OS, talking shit about it, based on rumours they've heard on the net or their friends second cousin.

If you don't want to use it, then don't.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are options you can turn off to stop those pop ups and just about everything else.

Vista is a consumer level product, and the default settings are for people who know little or nothing about computing. MS assumes that the people who do know what they're doing will tweak it to their own satisfaction.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm using Vista. Some things are very annoying like the pop ups when you install things but i'm used to it by now.

Those can be deavtivated. I don't know what it's called in english, but it should be something like "useraccount control" to be found in the usercontrol center.

Anyway I have been using Vista "a couple of times". The first time, when I got my brand new 8800 GTS and as I pointed out in that other thread already, the drivers weren't even released yet for vista and I searched hours of hours for a decent beta driver. Then my favorite programs didn't work properly (i.e. Trillian, Thunderbird etc.). Also basic functions weren't possible like searching a folder (including subfolders) for all videofiles. HILARIOUS!!! I guess/hope they've fixed stuff like that 'till now.

Then a few months later when my new quadcore arrived, I thought to myself: Ok, you've tried the 64bit version when everything was still kinda new, so 'till know they had a lot of time to iron out the compability issues. So this time I tried both versions in order to compare and the funny thing was that I observed worse performance in crysis on the 64bit OS than on the 32bit OS, which I absolutely cannot explain to myself, since I am not (yet) such a hardware geek. Perhaps someone of you can. I am assuming that it was just a driver (t)issue... ;) But when I saw that I only got like 14 FPS in bad situations, I thought to myself, that was impossible and tried the whole shit on XP and voilà: acceptable 26 fps in average. Still not playable in my oppinion though, because of that massive motion blur. It still feels too slow...

Aside from Vista's performance, I just cannot stand the whole interface (by that I don't mean the look). I guess, it would just take a little time to get used to it, but I find the layout to be irrational. And one last thing: no proper EAX support. I didn't buy my nice Soundcard for nothing, so back 2 da roots. XP here I come! :)

Well there you have it; resounding praise.

:laugh:

Yeah. If the best thing you can say about a new-generation OS is that it's not as bad as it's made out to be, then you know you've got problems.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Trouble is, WIndows Vista isn't a huge paradigm shift like the previous OS upgrades you mention.

Yeah that's true - all the earth shattering new features they promised, never came about - like treating your file structure like a database, so that a search would be just as fast as a directory listing, and you could have files "existing" concurrently in different folders at the same time (if you wanted).

I think back then, the other OS's needed to happen - we needed a graphical interface, we needed 32-bit computing, we needed standard APIs, etc. but all that's happened and I can't see why they don't just keep improving XP, which is already awesome.

...(and you can bet the DRM and EULA won't be going anywhere), ...

Actually I'd like to think it will go away - once people start reverting back to XP for that reason alone. And Apple have always wanted to release their iTunes songs DRM free, and give good reasons to do so, but have their hands tied because the record companies don't want them to.

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/

The main argument is that 90% of the music sales for record companies come from CDs, which aren't DRM protected. It's pointless protecting the remaining 10% with DRM, especially since you're perfectly allowed to burn them straight to an audio disc with no protection.

Music DRM is already finished (in case you haven't followed developments). iTunes has offered non-DRM for some time now, Walmart and Amazon followed, then the labels started falling in line - Warner, then Universal, and very recently even Sony. They're even telling people how to get around their existing DRM prior to when they officially change production.

http://gizmodo.com/340598/drm-officially-d...inally-drop-drm

Almost brings a tear to the eye... :wub: Little more than a year ago, there were still doubters, actually siding with the labels, idiotically shouting "it'll never happen, give up!" I understand being a pessimist (first hand) but if someone's such a useless quitter, we're all better off if they'd just shut up and let others among us handle it.

The doubters said the same about starforce too, and we derailed that piece of shit right quick. Simply put, we the consumers tell them how it's going to be, and they sit up and obey.

Fight the fight. :ph34r:

Online music downloads, sure. That's a good step in the right direction. But it does nothing for movies. For example, HD-DVDs are still locked up tight in that HDCP system AFAIK.

(BTW, music CD copy protection is not dead. I was given a music CD a few weeks ago and it turned out it had "Copy Controlled" protection. My main DVD drive couldn't read it. Luckily my DVD-RW drive could. The CD was published in 2005, and I think they've phased that form of protection out, but it does show that we're not free of that form of DRM just yet.)

HDCP et al may die off eventually - one hopes so - but you can bet your ass that Microsoft won't be the one doing it, at least not until you literally can't buy media that uses it. That's what I meant; Microsoft will never remove the DRM support from Vista until/unless it makes no difference.

and you could have files "existing" concurrently in different folders at the same time (if you wanted).

You can kinda sorta do that right now, with NTFS. Look up hard links. But it's unsupported and a bit hacky.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

For Microsoft, it works the other way around. Microsoft tells the consumers how it's going to be, and they sit up and obey.

They're only just now finding out that consumers do have a point at which they start feebly pushing back. Microsoft still has a lot of momentum, though (being very big and slow and heavy), so it'll take a while before it will make much difference, beyond the occasional quiet rollback to XP.

Microsoft has hardly been dented by Vista's poor reception - it doesn't matter all that much to them. I read somewhere that if Microsoft's income were to suddenly drop to zero, today, they could still keep operating at the same level (without needing to fire anyone or cut any other costs) for around 10 years, I think it was. So it's very difficult for consumers to pressure them.

:laugh:

Yeah. If the best thing you can say about a new-generation OS is that it's not as bad as it's made out to be, then you know you've got problems.

Except I didn't say that, I said I had no problems with it at all, I didn't qualify it, and certainly less than I had with XP, which used to freeze and bluescreen several times a week, and the memory management was terrible.

Of course, if you have a shitty old computer, then you have to stick with the dusty old OSes like XP, and like it.

You're the ones tacking your halfassed opinions of vista together from rumours, while I've actually been using it for 5 months in a production environment, and I push my computer to its limits in my job, whereas all you twats are concerned about is if it'll play the latest shooter at 5 extra FPS. :rolleyes:

Do as much raging against the machine as you want if it makes you feel better, but you still use their products anyway.

You sound like a bunch of fleas arguing over who's sitting on the best dog.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well the obvious problem is that Vista has to serve as a production environment, as a media environment, but also as a gaming environment. I must admit, that I only used it as a gaming environment, since I clarified it as an interface nightmare after 3 days of usage and didn't want to utilize it any further. It just hasn't much to offer for power users, who want to navigate fast and efficently through their OS. It is mostly made for the common user (a media junky?) and I think they forgot about us during development.

I already gave multiple examples why that is the case, but here is another one: The introduction of IE 7! Ok, now we got tabs and all, but why part it from the normal file browser? If I want to check something in IE, (maybe because it seems like a Homepage doesn't work properly in FF or Opera,) I just hit win+e, paste the adress into the adressbar and the HP is there. With IE7 installed you have to wait for the filebrowser to close and then for IE7 to load up, if it wasn't already.

And one further note: When I tried Vista the first time, I was really looking forward to it. I wasn't just planning on testing it, I was planning on switching over to Vista. There weren't any rumors yet about how bad it was at that time (at least I didn't know any), so I wasn't influenced at all and still I decided to revert to XP...

Edited by STiFU

I've been using Vista pretty much since it came out and i haven't really had any problems with it so far. I have a high-end machine and it has yet to crash and most of my games are very stable. Only problem i have had with crashes and CTD's have been with dodgy Euro games like The Witcher or Gothic 3, which are the games' fault as far as i can tell.

It still kind of pisses me off though that Microsoft basically just tacked a whole lot of bells and whistles onto Vista that are really pointless. I have yet to see anything in the gadget sidebar that makes it worth any system resources, or the Aero system which i immediately switched off. It's all just some visual crap that makes your desktop look prettier; I've got it all switched off so my computer resembles windows xp pretty much, at first glance you wouldn't know vista was on it. In fact I really can't see much of a difference between the two OS's besides the fact that my games are on the whole more stable on Vista. The only real changes i've noticed is that my computer sleeps instead of shutting down <_< and i can make my desktop look more flashy.

As for games w/ DirectX 10: haven't noticed anything really outstanding about some games like Bioshock which have partial DX10 compatibility, Mainly post-processing effects and the like. still there are more games adopting it, and not necessarily Microsoft ones; Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures is a new mmorpg which is supposed to use full DX10 tech IIRC.

Edit: Ok apparently its the first MMORPG to use DX10 tech; so I'm unsure whether that means it uses it fully or what.

Edited by SplaTtzZ

What exactly is the problem with vista navigation? I like it more than xp, especially the new functionality of the address bar in explorer windows, and I haven't noticed any areas where navigation is worse than xp

- Emil Zola

character models site

Only problem i have had with crashes and CTD's have been with dodgy Euro games like The Witcher or Gothic 3, which are the games' fault as far as i can tell.

Well, this is a common missconceptuion. Fact is, that games are run (or should be) as normal users. And normal users should NEVER be able to crash the whole machine. If that happens it is most definitely teh fault of the operating system.

If a program implements a driver on system level, this is more understandable, but a common user application should NOT be able to do this. So if you experience indeed a bluescreen, it's either a problem of the driver manufacturer or of the OS manufacturer, but not of the application developer.

Gerhard

Microsoft will never remove the DRM support from Vista until/unless it makes no difference.

Yep, they'd be throwing away tons of business opportunity, so you can be sure of that. So while publishers may will continue to slowly come into the 21st century, and the realization that they will adapt or die, Vista will always be ready at the core to enforce new types of rules no one wants. In a sense that makes it the more capable OS, but an OS consumers clearly don't want (and at least in part because of that).

AFA consumers controlling how things are done and companies obeying, of course the obvious unspoken part of the statement is "provided consumers stand together as one." When the doubters and detractors sit on the sidelines (I can't say how many of these I encountered during the 'starforce war' - if these people are not investors or employees of the company, why on earth would they defend it?!) saying "quit whining, just accept it, give up!" all they do is hurt the effort. In that case these worthless toads should help the cause by offing themselves right away.

If you want to rebel against something Dave, then choose something that actually matters in the world - and there is plenty to choose from.

Trying to rally the cybertroops against DRM and starforce just makes you look like a twat.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Every little effort makes a difference. Not to get all starry eyed and dreamy, but the internet has undeniably changed the world. Anyone, anywhere (take that with a grain of salt) can communicate with anyone else immediately. No longer can those who would control the lives and ways of populations keep information out of people's hands (again, grain of salt), and communication is hands down one of the most important and effective means of progress. We can do things ranging from getting DRM derailed to putting new people in government and more. That is power, and the way it should be. And things are only becoming more and more open every day.

Why confront only one, or only the largest issues? There are many to take up.

There are, but I think everyone would agree that the ones affecting the management of the entertainment industry for the rich lazy western masses with too much time on their hands, are the least important ones. Certainly to me, since I take no part in, or pleasure from, the pathetic, puerile industry, and as far as I'm concerned, anyone who does deserves any fucking over they might get.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yes, but that was 10 years ago, when the PC gaming thing was still new and there was still the slightest modicum of integrity left among developers.

That'll never happen again.

I didn't say you shouldn't partake of it, I said you shouldn't whine when you get stung, that's all - they're not in it for you, they're in it for them.

- Emil Zola

character models site